Sign in to follow this  
intercooler

looking for an FFL to sell a collection for me

My wife and I are looking to liquidate or substantially reduce our properties in advance of moving. I am looking for a shop that is TRUSTWORTHY and will not screw me. I have a nice collection of garands, G43, WW Bolt actions and some investment quality military pistols. Rather than list them separately here, I am looking for a place that will sell them. I am not listed in 50/50 splits or anything stupid...10% is the highest I will go commission wise.

I also have some ammo I would be looking to sell

any recommendations would be helpful  

You might want to consider listing some popular items.  I'd be interested in 1911 guns and you won't have to pay anyone and then take the balance to an FFL.  I know that some FFLs will probably tell you not to consign but sell them the pistols due to the crazy NJ gun laws.  If they book it in for sale and not for gunsmithing you'd have to permit it back out if you wanted it back or it didn't sell. 

Where you moving to?  I hope some place warm.

You might want to consider listing some popular items.  I'd be interested in 1911 guns and you won't have to pay anyone and then take the balance to an FFL.  I know that some FFLs will probably tell you not to consign but sell them the pistols due to the crazy NJ gun laws.  If they book it in for sale and not for gunsmithing you'd have to permit it back out if you wanted it back or it didn't sell. 

Where you moving to?  I hope some place warm.

Also something to think about - I don't know what the going rate is, but unless these are very high-priced items, I suspect you'll have a difficult time finding anyone to consign them for 10%.  

I'd have to agree, there is no question you would get far more with a private sale.  The gun shops have to make money too and 10% is probably not going to be worth their time to liquidate an entire collection.  I can certainly understand you not wanting to list them all individually but you are going to wind up paying for that convenience.