Scorpio64

I Need a Gunsmith (Monmouth Co.)

I just completed my first AR build last week and would like to have a gunsmith check my work.  I live near Eatontown, sadly all of the nearby shops I used to go to are long gone.  To be honest, I don't think I did a great job attaching the barrel and would like to have it installed by a pro.

we an take a look. if its just to look at the barrel to make sure you installed it right i wont charge you :)

I'm pretty sure it's not on right.  Everything lines up alright but it's not very tight.  I'm too chicken to put the torque needed to firm it up.  Plus, I'd want the head space checked too. 

Did you put the barrel extension on the barrel? Probably not, so no need to headspace. If you didn't cross thread the receiver screwing on the nut, then it is on right. If the gas tube holes are aligned and the nut is loose, you need to tighten it one more hole. Use the correct wrench to tighten.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

Call Shore Shot and ask for Matt. Certified Knights Armorer and several other qualifications as well. He's super

knowledgeable and does good work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt is great with ARs. I known he is a certified glock and smith wesson armorer. He's a good guy too!

To bad he works at shore shot.

Matt is great with ARs. I known he is a certified glock and smith wesson armorer. He's a good guy too!

To bad he works at shore shot.

Haha I guess youve had a bad experience at shore shot. Yeah, Matt really is a good guy and a straight shooter, no pun intended.

Don't know who at Shore Shot worked on my 9mm PX4, but I'll never let them touch any of my guns due to that.

PX4 sights go on/come off opposite from other sights. The guy did tell me he swapped plenty of sights on Berettas, so I figured he knew. Got it back with chips where the sight pusher touched the barrel, which I didn't care as I was getting it plated in the near future (Trijicons were on there, so oh well). Tossed it in the safe for a few days, then pulled it out to shoot.

Within 200 rounds, two of the three lamps were dead. I mentioned to someone there that I had their gunsmith do the install, and was upset that I had only one dot in the rear working. Pretty much told me, "Tough!"

Sent it back to Trijicon, and they replaced them at no cost. Didn't have to, since they saw the marks on the slide, but one reason why I stick with them (Hogue is another good company who's customer service made me a lifetime customer). Sent it to CCR for plating, and sights still work after getting it back.

This was early 2010, if I remember correctly. Sorry, but if it is taking a lot of force to install the sights that you are chipping the finish, wouldn't you stop and see what the problem is? Just added to the rest of the BS I've dealt with at Shore Shot, which ultimately made me stop going there.

Haha I guess youve had a bad experience at shore shot. Yeah, Matt really is a good guy and a straight shooter, no pun intended.

Not really, I am a member there, and think their prices on ammo (for members and non members) are outrageous.

Besides the membership, and targets, I won't spend any money there.

Don't know who at Shore Shot worked on my 9mm PX4, but I'll never let them touch any of my guns due to that.

PX4 sights go on/come off opposite from other sights. The guy did tell me he swapped plenty of sights on Berettas, so I figured he knew. Got it back with chips where the sight pusher touched the barrel, which I didn't care as I was getting it plated in the near future (Trijicons were on there, so oh well). Tossed it in the safe for a few days, then pulled it out to shoot.

Within 200 rounds, two of the three lamps were dead. I mentioned to someone there that I had their gunsmith do the install, and was upset that I had only one dot in the rear working. Pretty much told me, "Tough!"

Sent it back to Trijicon, and they replaced them at no cost. Didn't have to, since they saw the marks on the slide, but one reason why I stick with them (Hogue is another good company who's customer service made me a lifetime customer). Sent it to CCR for plating, and sights still work after getting it back.

This was early 2010, if I remember correctly. Sorry, but if it is taking a lot of force to install the sights that you are chipping the finish, wouldn't you stop and see what the problem is? Just added to the rest of the BS I've dealt with at Shore Shot, which ultimately made me stop going there.

That definitely sucks. Yea common sense would say stop. Well I'm pretty confident Matt wasn't there in 2010 nor does that sound like him.

Not really, I am a member there, and think their prices on ammo (for members and non members) are outrageous.

Besides the membership, and targets, I won't spend any money there.

I'll give you that... Ammo prices are definitely on the ridiculous side. I usually bring my own when I go there.

It looks like Matt from Shore Shot will be mounting the barrel. I'll let y'all know how it works out.

Awesome man. Yea definitely let us know. I think you'll be happy. Sorry for posting each comment individually but I can't figure out how to multi quote on tapatalk.

I figured out the problem mounting my barrel.  As it turns out, I'm a moron.  Okay, maybe moron is too strong a word but still feeling a little stupid.  The problem is the barrel nut, when tight, goes too far for the gas tube to fit and the amount of torque to get to the next alignment would exceed specs.  I think the technical term for barrel nut alignment is timing.

The solution is barrel shims.  Why does everyone know about these fancy pants washers except me?  Anyway, I've got some on the way.