silverado427

my ar barrel

You torqued it to 60 foot pounds, that is within specs (30-80), your GTG. Marine corp armorers will tighten and loosen the nut three times before setting the torque.  I have seen out of spec torqueing from several companies in the last year or so. Chalk it up to QC issues vs meeting demands. 

Not as crazy as you think.  QC is now a big issue at every firearm manufacturer.  Demand has put a strain on this process.  When demand goes up, quality goes down.  How BCM is in this conversation I do not know. 

The two most important parts in an AR platform in my view are the barrel and the bolt. It would be very interesting to see who supplies who with parts in this industry.  Could be a real eye opener.

Barrel nut torque should have been between 35 and 65 foot pounds, ideally. Up to 85 foot pounds if absolutely necessary to align the barrel nut though more risks damaging the receiver.

As for your front sight moving, that depends. If your handguard is a free float design, it's possible for it to move relative to the barrel if you're putting stress on either the barrel or the handguard. But that's not a manufacturer's fault but rather a pitfall of a free float rail-mounted front sight. If your front sight was pinned to the barrel, yeah, you have a problem.

this should go in the thread of "what does BCM offer that cheaper offerings don't"

not that something like this couldn't slip through the cracks of any company.  but it is pretty crazy to hear.  

BCM is not perfect either. I had to send back my upper/bcg after having chronic chambering issues (with less than 40 rounds through it).

They either neglected to put in an extractor pin, or else it was defective. After more than a dozen misfeeds, jams, and unseated rounds, the extractor and spring eventually ended up at the bottom of the mag.

They were good about handling it, but they did not come off looking as SHTF reliable as I had expected. 

I hope thats not going to be a common problem for PSA uppers. A buddie if mine got his upper a few weeks ago for his first build. He gave it to me to give it a once over before heading out to the range.... And much like the op the barrel nut was just hand tight... also the gas block was off center to the port....other than that he was gtg......

Silverado, sounds like your front sight block was canted from the start but it wasn't obvious due to the loose barrel. Try and eye the fsb relative to the upper on your workbench, and you may need to adjust the fsb's position.

If you used a torque wrench, I doubt anything happened but you might as well test this just in case. Remove the handguard and barrel nut. With the barrel in the receiver, see if there's any lateral wiggle between the indexing pin in the extension and the slot in the receiver. If there is, when it's torqued down, your barrel may be getting deflected just slightly. I've seen this happen on a Bushmaster before.

BCM is not perfect either. I had to send back my upper/bcg after having chronic chambering issues (with less than 40 rounds through it).

They either neglected to put in an extractor pin, or else it was defective. After more than a dozen misfeeds, jams, and unseated rounds, the extractor and spring eventually ended up at the bottom of the mag.

They were good about handling it, but they did not come off looking as SHTF reliable as I had expected.

Universal Truth #52: Nothing created by man will be perfect or last forever.

I am a huge BCM supporter. I had a bad bolt carrier. It happens. I emailed and a CS rep ran me through a pretty thorough diagnostic process. I received Return Authorization and sent it back on their dime. I had a new one in 5 days.

What more can you ask?

After all of the bad BCGs I have seen by Bushmaster, DPMS, Olympic Arms, Rock River, Armalite, getting one bad part from BCM is practically statistically insignificant.

I am a huge BCM supporter. I had a bad bolt carrier. It happens. I emailed and a CS rep ran me through a pretty thorough diagnostic process. I received Return Authorization and sent it back on their dime. I had a new one in 5 days.

What more can you ask?

Same exact experience.

I was impressed with the way that they took ownership of the situation and then squared it away. 

And High Exposure is 100% correct when he referenced that Universal Truth (although I believe that he may have gotten the number wrong. Doesn't #52 have something to do with stepping in gum on a hot summer day??).

Anyway, my rifle has been a nasty little girl ever since, so I couldn't be happier : )

As for the OP....... I'm thinking that maybe you shouldn't have been disassembling and twisting and torquing if it was still under warranty. I can't blame you for doing so, since I'd also be thinking, "Oh, no problem. I got this". But now you may need to follow that all the way through on your own. 

That said... it never hurts to try arranging for a return. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. So good luck!