Sign in to follow this  
ryan_j

Did the ATF just legalize machine guns for NFA trusts?

Joshua Prince (Attorney from PA) seems to think so.

http://blog.princelaw.com/2014/05/14/did-atfs-determination-on-nics-checks-open-the-door-for-manufacture-of-new-machineguns-for-trusts/

It might be interesting. I could set up a trust in another state and legally own something like a Glock 18. Hmm.

Of course I can't own it in NJ, but the point is that the ATF may have just opened up a door it didn't intend to. 

You can have a gun trust in NJ you just can't have it own NFA weapons.

Also, the reasoning of the author of this article is incorrect. "Therefore, pursuant to 26 U.S.C. 5812 and 5822, an unincorporated trust may lawfully transfer and make machineguns, as it is not a “person” for purposes of the GCA and Section 922 only applies to “persons” as defined by the GCA." The cited statutes have nothing to do with the issue of manufacture of weapons only transfer.

I too don't believe that anything has changed, though I wish it had.

IIRC NJ allows machine guns with the correct permit, but that is the only NFA item NJ has a process for. I'm sure there can only be a couple really old timers who would still have sure as I can't imagine anyone could get such signed today.

Just thinking that IF such were true then there is technically a way in NJ.

I understand. I'll be watching this as well to see if there's a chance. I'm looking forward to moving to free America later this year so this would be helpful for me also.

I sure would love to see someone in NJ use this to their advantage too.

In fl you can own short battle rifles, suppressor and full auto with NFA stamps already. http://www.class3classifieds.com/how-to-purchase-a-full-auto-weapon/

That's not what's being discussed... this is about post NFA machine guns being transferred to trusts.The ATF screwed up and i highly doubt they are going to let this ride.