5th4x4

A question for the open-minded Glock appreciators out there

Having bought a GLOCK, I will never buy one again, or any other striker fired pistol for that matter with the exception of the P99.

If I were in your shoes I'd buy a Browning Hi Power. It's the premier 9mm pistol. It has a great aftermarket too.

Having bought a GLOCK, I will never buy one again, or any other striker fired pistol for that matter with the exception of the P99.

If I were in your shoes I'd buy a Browning Hi Power. It's the premier 9mm pistol. It has a great aftermarket too.

It appears that the title to my thread is proving to be too confusing for some people. 

I thought that "Glock appreciators" might be a major clue, but ok, maybe I added too many other words to the title and that has thrown some people off. 

As per the poster's preference for one (and only one) particular striker fire handgun...

I had planned on checking out the Walther PPQ (in 40 cal), so at least we're not a full180 off. 

(that said... please stay out of my shoes. I'm still wearing them, and they have no bearing on my next handgun purchase anyway. However, if you were in my shirt... I might let you pick out a tie)

Not confusing in the least. I appreciate the GLOCK design, but I'll never buy one again. The P99 is superior to the PPQ because the striker mechanism can be decocked on certain models. I don't like DAO pistols or even Double Action / Single Action. I'd rather have a constant 1-3lb (depending on the gun) trigger pull in Single Action since for the majority of the pistols life it's just going to be firing at paper targets. 

Yes, that is so true. And that is the biggest influence that I've taken from this thread at this point.

So yeah... I'm most definitely doing research regarding conversion cross-breeding of calibers.   

And since a few have already inquired, I'll now state (since it was an overdue bit of info that I didn't already mention and which I didn't mean to omit) is that the intended use of this next gun purchase was for "variety" reasons. I just want another kick-ass handgun to play with... and to be able to bring down a bad-guy (in other words... not just a fun range gun).

As a rifle (/distance) guyI never expected to enjoy firing handguns, but my Glock 19 has expanded my world and made me hungry in a new way.

So anyway...

My considerations relate mostly to availability/cost of ammo. Therefore I don't need anything specific (caliber-wise), I just want to be able to actually shoot it without endless searching and/or and endless budget for ammo.

(if that helps)

I suggested it because it is the most boring choice... which generally is the most logical... like I said you end up with two caliber choices in a platform you already like.. and later on if you like you can always make a different pistol choice with the money you saved by selling the old gun... people buy Glock 19s so it should be very easy to sell.. I think the 19 is an awful choice since you can not go from 9mm to 40 with a simple conversion... anyone considering any Glock should always take the 40 S&W version with the conversion.. this way the option is always there... 

good luck with the choice.. 

I advise the same thing.  With a Glock 23 you can shoot .40cal, 9mm, .357 SIG or .22LR, given the proper conversion bits.  Maybe there is something else you can use to get that variety, but I don't know what it is.

Given the whole permitting system in NJ being able to handle 4 calibers with one permit sounds handy to me.

I suggested it because it is the most boring choice... which generally is the most logical... like I said you end up with two caliber choices in a platform you already like.. and later on if you like you can always make a different pistol choice with the money you saved by selling the old gun... people buy Glock 19s so it should be very easy to sell.. I think the 19 is an awful choice since you can not go from 9mm to 40 with a simple conversion... anyone considering any Glock should always take the 40 S&W version with the conversion.. this way the option is always there...

good luck with the choice..

If you buy a Glock (or any other pistol) in 40s&w, you need to consider that 9mm in a conversion barrel has a minor caveat. The extractor and ejector on a 40 are different size than those for 9mm, so 9mm is ok for plinking but questionable for reliability. People buy Glock 21 for the same multi-caliber reason, and have the same problem. The only reliable conversions I know of (there may be more) are 40s&w to 357Sig, and 10mm to 40s&w and 357Sig, since they use the same extractor and ejector. 40 and 357 fit in the same mags, and work reliably in 10mm mags.

Oddly, dropping a factory 9mm barrel in a 40 M&P works just peachy although in my case it required a somewhat lighter recoil spring for reliable ejection when shooting one handed. Maybe if I was a better man that wouldn't be needed but, so far I think I ran about 1000 rounds of 9 through that combo and the 40 extractor worked just fine.

Your millage may very, objects in the mirror may be closer then they appear, past performance is not an indication of future returns, etc, etc.

With the Glocks it isn't the extractor so much as the ejector when shooting 9mm in a .40.

The .40 ejector just nips the edge of the case during extraction.

It is my understanding though that using a ".40-9mm conversion" barrel and not just a 9mm barrel alleviates some of the inconstancy. My KKM 40-9 conversion barrel has been flawless, but I don't use it in a social gun.

That being said, if I had a G27/23/22/35 that I wanted to shoot 9mm from regularly or for SD/CCW purposes, I would get a conversion barrel and spend the $32 on the 9mm trigger housing with ejector, 9mm extractor and extractor spring bearing.

ETA: Oh and my vote is still for the G35 with a 9MM conversion barrel and an AA .22 kit for a G17.

I have never had problems with conversion barrels and I have many thousands of rounds through conversion barrels on both G22 and G23 models including Gen 3 and Gen 4.  You want a conversion barrel, not a factory 9mm in a .40 cal firearm.  You will also need appropriate magazines.

If we were in another state without the permitting BS, you might be inclined to just buy another pistol in the appropriate caliber, but here in NJ with the permit nonsense, the ability to switch calibers is pretty convenient.

since you have the Glock 19 Gen4 already, & you like the 40 caliber, especially due to the fact that ammo is at least somewhat readily available, why not get the 23 Gen 4? It is is the identical gun in 40 cal. with a 13 shot mag. I bought my 23 Gen 3 about 7 or 8 years ago, & then decided I wanted another 15 shot 9mm pistol to go with my Sig P226, so I decided the obvious choice would be to go with the 19. I found a gen 4 at my local gun store & decided to use my 2nd P2P on it. I definitely feel that I made a very good purchase getting the 19, especially since I can use the same holsters for both guns. My 2nd choice would be a 21 Gen 4 since I like a standard capacity 45 with 13 shots of 45 firepower.  

As an update to this.....

I'm now at the point where I'm leaning heavily towards the PPQ M2 (in 40S&W). 

However the only reason that I haven't pulled the proverbial trigger on that handgun purchase yet is because I'm now contemplating a rifle purchase instead. I had the pleasure of fondling a Hungarian M44 Mosin Nagant recently, and now I'm in lust. 

So when it comes to a handgun purchase, I've gone from determined, to fickle. 

(although both may still be an option. I just gotta figure out where to get my hands on that Nagant)

Anyway, that's where that stands for now.

However the only reason that I haven't pulled the proverbial trigger on that handgun purchase yet is because I'm now contemplating a rifle purchase instead. I had the pleasure of fondling a Hungarian M44 Mosin Nagant recently, and now I'm in lust.

(although both may still be an option. I just gotta figure out where to get my hands on that Nagant)

Plenty of M44's out there. I got mine at a show in PA. Most of the time you will find plenty of tables with one or two M44's.

The thing that bugs me about the PPQ in 40 is the capacity - 11rd mags. Its almost as big as the Glock 22 which holds 15rds of 40 and larger than the Glock 23 which holds 13rds of 40. Being the PPQ in 9mm holds 15 rds like the Glock 19, I would expect it to hold at least 13rds of 40. Other than that the PPQ seems like a great platform.

The thing that bugs me about the PPQ in 40 is the capacity - 11rd mags. Its almost as big as the Glock 22 which holds 15rds of 40 and larger than the Glock 23 which holds 13rds of 40. Being the PPQ in 9mm holds 15 rds like the Glock 19 I would expect it to hold at least 13rds of 40. Other than that the PPQ seems like a great platform.

Yeah, I can't disagree with you on the capacity issue at all. When I had originally seen "11".... I thought that it was a typo. 

But if you've ever held one, it feels great. And that trigger is as sweet as can be. 

I would have opted for the 9mm, but I already have the Glock 19, so I really don't need two of the same caliber. And besides, the feel and pull of the PPQ seems to be nicely suited for the jump up in caliber. 

So for the moment, the PPQ still seems to be the handgun that I'd like to dance with.

(there's just the matter of this new Nagant obsession that I need to deal with one way or the other) 

Yeah, I can't disagree with you on the capacity issue at all. When I had originally seen "11".... I thought that it was a typo.

But if you've ever held one, it feels great. And that trigger is as sweet as can be.

I would have opted for the 9mm, but I already have the Glock 19, so I really don't need two of the same caliber. And besides, the feel and pull of the PPQ seems to be nicely suited for the jump up in caliber.

So for the moment, the PPQ still seems to be the handgun that I'd like to dance with.

(there's just the matter of this new Nagant obsession that I need to deal with one way or the other)

I hear ya. I held one and think the ergos are great. Trigger is very good also. I could see myself picking up on of these in the near future. I would opt for the 9mm though. I'm on a 9mm kick lately. I only have 1 40 now, which is the G22 Gen4. My newest addition was a Beretta PX4 Type C in 9mm. Its unique in that its somewhat of a cross between a striker fired and hammer fired action pistol. And has no manual safety or decocker. I'm pretty impressive with it. I had the PX4 type F in 40 and it was a soft shooting 40, but this thing is a real cream puff.

Yeah

I'll let you shoot my M44 if your that "gung ho" about getting one. I'm usually at the range once a week. I haven't shot it since I did the timney trigger, ArchAngel, and sniper bolt. I'm kinda itching to shoot it myself.

Where you at??

GFH is my home base. But I'll travel a bit if it's on a weekday and during the day.

I've got my AR and 38 Special (plus Glock 19) to add to the mix.

Let me know!

RTSP is home for me. But GFH is about a 30 min ride down 80. I usually do go during the week. Either right after work or mid day sometimes depending on my schedule at work. I may have a day towards the end of the week with nothing planned. Depending on what how fast rockaway township gives me an inspection.