Sign in to follow this  
Pineracer

Colt AR15 Question

Even if the gun is registered its illegal. Without looking at the statute the heir would have 90 or 180 days (can't remember which) to bring it to a FFL to sell out of state, sell it to a out of state FFL, remove it from NJ, or turn it in. There is no way you can register it in NJ. Can't make it compliant as it's banned by name.

Even if parents registered it (which I doubt they did) it is contraband in state of NJ.  Registering it only allowed owner at the time to keep it.  They could not sell, transfer, etc to anyone else.  Time to find a safe place for it outside the boundaries of the state of NJ on the DL ASAP!

Well it almost went to the Monmouth County gun buy back but some folks (ahem cough cough) talked them out of it. Not remotely gun people so now they are nervous. I am relieved to tell them they can dispose of the gun legally through an FFL, because they do need the money.

Regards- Pineracer

Well it almost went to the Monmouth County gun buy back but some folks (ahem cough cough) talked them out of it. Not remotely gun people so now they are nervous. I am relieved to tell them they can dispose of the gun legally through an FFL, because they do need the money.

Regards- Pineracer

OMG! Good work man, don't let that Colt go to waste.

I have specific instructions in my will that under no circumstances should my firearms be handed over to the local police or any gun buy back upon my passing. They are to be kept by family members or sold to a FFL only!!

Don't know the area you located in, check here first, there are FFLs here on this forum that know and understand NJ law and can dispose of it properly for them. Some NJ FFL dealers do not know or care to understand and will mess it up. Choose wisely.  Glad to hear it will survive and the heirs will get their due.

Thanks for all the insight and direction. I know you had all heard the saying : "you can lead a horse to water, but.......". I surely hope my friend takes the advice I have given him and calls an expert. Lord knows I have been relentless as I feel somewhat responsible.

Best Regards

Pineracer

Is the Colt AR15 upper anything special, ie break up the gun to sell upper to one of us? Then sell the lower to a FFL.

Or is the gun worth more to a buyer complete?

Probably the latter. 

Nevermind.

The upper has a bayonet stud and flash suppressor. It is worth more as it is.