I kinda understand what he is trying to say and I can not say that he is wrong BUT >>> GB, u

did go off the topic cause we are talking about self defense which is basically (and I'm generalizing here of course ) buying those 30-60 extra seconds to make attacker believe that this is not gonna be easy for him /them and it's not fast money and he/them can really get hurt or caught ...

GB is talking about full fledge mma training where being in shape and having good cardio is essential to be able to go 3-5 rounds 5mins each ...

there is a big difference between a street fight and a sparring session and u know that brother :)

As the OP, my original intent for this was self-defense purely for security/safety's sake for my niece, who will be heading off to the DC area for undergrad school. I don't think she'd be into it enough for full MMA and require all the physical conditioning for that.  I could be wrong, but I don't think so. I think she might very well embrace the Krav Maga, but we want to get her started on the self-defense mindset prior to her departure.

I thank all those who PM'ed me with suggestions. I will forward them on to my niece and sister.  

Carry on with the discussion!  Off Topic OK by me... :D

Hey also. If she really gets motivated by it. Its awesome. A lifestyle. It will encompass you and make you learn and understand things you never thought you could. Almost an epiphany. I had to slow down due to many years of abuse on my spine. If you you see me in the gun game circuit youll see how my joints and back suffers as i try to move.

Ok. So what i was getting at was. I think everyone should know self defense. But prepare yourself to be pushed hard at a good school so put a little effort into exercise before you go. Iwouldnt want to discourage anyone from learning self defense or a martial art. You have to self motivate yourself to do it. Also. I am suprised how so many on the forum are worried about ccw. Now what happens without your weapon. Everyone should know how to handle themselves in a bad situation without a firearm. You have to realize that you can loose that weapon and then what do you do. If anyone out there thinks because they have a firearm it will 100 percent save them. Think again. Self defense or training in the martial should be just as much a priority as the weapon you have In jeet kun do bruce lee says a man with a weapon is basically weakened because he only has one hand to fight with. Or something to that effect. I have fought people twice my size half my size shorter taller and women. Not on the streets but in class. This is how you learn. I guess my viewpoint is different because im at a different level than just self defense. When i was military they taught us how to kill with the hits and with my other training it taught me how to stop an opponent So as i ramble with this i leave you with self defense training is better than none at all but dont count on that bullet to save your life. Im just baffled how not many people dont realize this.

Ps the ralph machio comment made me laugh. Thanks.

Well now that I agree with :) Plenty of people catch the bug and go on to be really into martial arts , like myself. I have always preached having a self defense tool box. Know how to use your firearm , know how to handle yourself without one , know what to do on the ground from your back . I like the Krav Maga weapon disarms , but they are not foolproof though some evolve into thinking they are . I think they are better than nothing and can help you get less shot or less stabbed. It is all about stackig the deck in your favor by training multiple scenarios and methods and above all else a mindset.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• olight.jpg

Use Promo Code "NJGF10" for 10% Off Regular Items

• Supporting Vendors

• Latest Topics

• Similar Content

• By NJGF
      I am looking for a gun that would be usable by a small adult female in a self defense situation. The person has has absolutely no experience with firearms and will not be getting any experience.

I know that normally I would say don't even think about using a firearm in this situation but if someone is breaking into her house in the middle of the night, having a gun with no training might be better than not having any gun (this is obviously debatable).

So given the premise which type of gun would be easiest and simplest for this person to have?

I was thinking of the following:

A semi-auto pistol but they might have issues knowing how to hold it to allow it to function properly. And if it malfunctioned they would have no idea how to clear it. Yet most of the time it would function properly so this might be OK.

A revolver might be more fool proof but the long heavier trigger pull might be an issue for a first time user (keeping it steady and aimed during the trigger pull). Incorrectly holding the revolver could be dangerous (for example putting their hand around the cylinder gap).

Something in 9 mm might be optimal but I also wonder if the lower recoil from a similarly sized handgun in .380 or 38 special might be easier to handle (along with the reduced noise).

A shotgun might be simpler to shoulder and aim. Maybe a .410 which would have the least recoil and noise. I doubt that a novice would know how to rack a pump so I was thinking about a semi-automatic. Reliability might be an issue.

Along the lines of the .410 shotgun would something like the S&W Governor be doable (a revolver that takes .410 shot shells)? A shotgun would seem to be a better choice.

Would a 9 mm carbine be easier to handle than a shotgun or handgun? 

I have eliminated anything chambered in .223 as a 9 mm carbine would seem to be lighter and easier to handle and effective enough. On the other end I have eliminated any .22 as too under powered for self defense although it would definitely be the easiest to handle.

I am interested in getting opinions on this.

• By Kevin125
      Pretty impressive act of self defense with a concealed carry weapon in Arizona.  Didn't see it mentioned anywhere else here.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/08/04/woman-with-gun-to-her-head-kills-assailant-with-her-own-handgun/

A woman shot and killed an assailant, who allegedly had the barrel of his gun pressed against her head.

by AWR Hawkins4 Aug 2016

The incident occurred around 1 a.m. at a Circle K at 59th Avenue and Camelback Road in Glendale, Arizona. AZ Family reports that police arrived on scene to find 27-year-old Frank Taylor in the parking lot, suffering from a gunshot wound. He was rushed to a hospital, where he died from his injuries. Witnesses told police that Taylor held a gun to 23-year-old Carol Miracle’s head and demanded money. Miracle told police that “Taylor tried to rob her at gunpoint near the store.”

Glendale police officer Tiffany Smith indicated that investigators “learned that Taylor pointed his gun at Miracle’s head.” Smith said, “She then drew her own handgun that was holstered on her hip, and shot him one time while she was in fear for her life.”

Smith said the evidence recovered at the scene is “consistent” with eyewitness testimony that Taylor had a gun to Miracle’s head.
    • By mattio41
      Greetings,

I wanted to bring to your attention to a letter writing campaign. The "Justifiable Need" Project has kicked off a a campaign to write to your legislators asking them to support the Citizens Protection Act. Assembly Bill A3931 and Senate bill 1287. Everything is already filled out for you, all you have to do is, find your district, download the letters, sign and physically "Snail Mail" them. 

The goal is to pressure our elected legislators to support our right to self defense, or to put it in writing, why they will not. Once that data is collected, it will be used in future campaigns.

"You may ask, why not just send an email?

That is actually a good question. The answer is that even though email is monitored, it is usually monitored by an intern who, after a few emails with the same subject, may not open or log them but just go ahead and bulk archive them for storage…unread. How likely is it that they will be seen by your Assemblyman or Senator?

“Snail Mail” (USPS), on the other hand, has to be opened, stamped as received, categorized, and logged in. It must then be physically placed into someone’s inbox to be processed".

The page can be found at www.justifiableneed.com/action. 

Thank you for your consideration.

Matthew Andras
      President
      Coalition of New Jersey Firearm Owners
      www.justifiableneed.com
      www.facebook.com/cnjfo

• By Neted
      What would have happened if she did not have the gun?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/06/georgia-mom-home-alone-with-kids-shoots-ex-con-intruder/
    • By Jmac92
      Hello,

Does anyone have any recommendations for a firearms class/School in NJ or close to NJ??
      Any comments will be appreciated! Thanks