Sign in to follow this  
DrMully

Moving from GA to NJ

Thank you for the advice! will keep in mind as I make the move - I'm wondering what is the reaction of neighbors when they get to know you have guns - I guess they are not feeling safer?

Guns are illegal by default in Jersey. If somebody wants to charge you, the burden of proof is on YOU to prove you have an exception to the law and keep yourself out of jail. Jail. J-A-I-L. 3-7 years for a rifle (or BB gun), 5-10 years for a handgun. Up to 18 months for a hollowpoint bullet. This is no joke.

Obviously people own guns in Jersey that haven't been to jail, but you need to understand both the laws and the mentality.

If your neighbors know you own guns they can say any damn thing they want about you and your house will be raided. Jersey is NOT part of America.

Should you expect these disasters? Probably not. Unless you come to Jersey with a cavalier American attitude. People are generally not going to like you in Jersey for having guns and some may jack you up.

I just want to get your attention.

Once you realize this is an anti-gun state, and "When dealing with guns, the citizen acts at his own peril," wrote the NJ Supreme Court when it upheld the conviction of the owner of a Marlin Model 60 .22 rifle as an assault firearm (State v. Pelleteri), you will understand you are a subject in Jersey and a second class citizen as a gun owner, a suspected criminal at all times.

If you are OK with that, you can follow the rules and behave yourself and you will be fine. It's just that most people from America do not reconcile themselves with the situation they are putting themselves in.

Guns are illegal by default in Jersey. If somebody wants to charge you, the burden of proof is on YOU to prove you have an exception to the law and keep yourself out of jail. Jail. J-A-I-L. 3-7 years for a rifle (or BB gun), 5-10 years for a handgun. Up to 18 months for a hollowpoint bullet. This is no joke.

Obviously people own guns in Jersey that haven't been to jail, but you need to understand both the laws and the mentality.

If your neighbors know you own guns they can say any damn thing they want about you and your house will be raided. Jersey is NOT part of America.

Should you expect these disasters? Probably not. Unless you come to Jersey with a cavalier American attitude. People are generally not going to like you in Jersey for having guns and some may jack you up.

I just want to get your attention.

Once you realize this is an anti-gun state, and "When dealing with guns, the citizen acts at his own peril," wrote the NJ Supreme Court when it upheld the conviction of the owner of a Marlin Model 60 .22 rifle as an assault firearm (State v. Pelleteri), you will understand you are a subject in Jersey and a second class citizen as a gun owner, a suspected criminal at all times.

If you are OK with that, you can follow the rules and behave yourself and you will be fine. It's just that most people from America do not reconcile themselves with the situation they are putting themselves in.

pretty much this until you get to the more rural parts of the state. pretty much anything way up north in the boonies down through the western part of the state/delaware valley then slide along the 195 corridor into the pine barons you probably wont catch much heat from neighbors if you carry gun cases to and from your car. anywhere near a more developed area/suburb of a major city or tourist area its gonna be a crap shoot.

so i would say to you what i think the little green aliens would say after the get you back to their ship, PREPARE YOUR ANUS.

Here is my advice as an inner city dweller. Don't voluntary register shit, Lock them away tell no one you have them. Bury your standard capacity magazine for a rainy day, get a F.I.D. card through your local PD, buy all your long guns face to face. Oh and if possible hold on to that Georgia address.

And the peanut gallery continues to make the OP feel like crap....nothing like beating a dead horse into complete basic molecular structure...

Who else is going to tell him? 

If I am into guns enough to post on a gun forum and ask about the rules in a state I am considering moving to, do I really want the users there blowing smoke up my ass? There are posters who are joking ad say "Don't do it". I can see that getting old. Then there are posters giving the brutal, cold, hard facts of gun ownership in this state. And the taxes, and the crime, and traffic, and overcrowding, etc...  

I don't have objections to people pointing out the nice things about Jersey (i.e. food, beach, etc), although it doesn't seem to get mentioned much. 

Maybe, if the OP is lucky, he can find a way to make Pennsylvania work. You may think it's beating a dead horse. I think it is doing the OP a disservice by NOT making very clear the many down sides to living here. 

Point is he already has decided to move here....and just because YOU were all miserable here doesn't mean the OP will be...you've all made your point about how you hated it...we get it...you couldn't hack it here for whatever reason...ok fine...it's getting old already..I'm sure the OP isn't moving here for gun laws...he asked specific questions...let's give him answers...if he's adult enough to own firearms then I'm quit certain he thought things through..

Thank you for the advice! will keep in mind as I make the move - I'm wondering what is the reaction of neighbors when they get to know you have guns - I guess they are not feeling safer? 

BTW I did consider leaving behind some pieces but seems like all of them are legal (except high cap mags for my wasr10 which I will sell) - even then with all the laws I feel constrained - e.g. if a future law makes the 10 cap mags a requirement, I'm looking at 6-8 mags to replace

Do any of you store handguns in a bank safety locker (e.g. in PA)? or bigger rifles in a public storage?

As far as neighbors go I would feel them out first...on my block in Monmouth County I would say the breakdown of my neighbors gun views would be 60% have no issues with firearms...20% really aren't into guns but aren't diehard antis and the last 20% are anti's...that being said my closest neighbors always see me taking rifle cases to the range and no one has ever said anything to me...

Point is he already has decided to move here....and just because YOU were all miserable here doesn't mean the OP will be...

So say you were from elsewhere thinking about moving here. Do you want the "rosy-colored glasses" picture, or the real facts so you can make an educated decision? Say an acquaintance from out of state called you and said they were committed to moving to Camden - what would you say?

The only people not coming up with a serious exit plan from this politically and financially bankrupt state either have insurmountable commitments or stark raving madness. Growing up in NJ is painful. I cannot even conceive moving from a state where I had tasted freedom only to come here and have it stripped away. This poor guy is trapped in a bad situation and should seriously consider a way to extricate himself from it. 

If the moderators choose to create a "Why not to move to NJ" sticky thread, I would be happy to confine my comments to it.

So say you were from elsewhere thinking about moving here. Do you want the "rosy-colored glasses" picture, or the real facts so you can make an educated decision? Say an acquaintance from out of state called you and said they were committed to moving to Camden - what would you say?

The only people not coming up with a serious exit plan from this politically and financially bankrupt state either have insurmountable commitments or stark raving madness. Growing up in NJ is painful. I cannot even conceive moving from a state where I had tasted freedom only to come here and have it stripped away. This poor guy is trapped in a bad situation and should seriously consider a way to extricate himself from it. 

If the moderators choose to create a "Why not to move to NJ" sticky thread, I would be happy to confine my comments to it.

Sure...right next to the "Why not to move to NJ thread" we can place the "Click here to be told where to live by people that know thread"

Sure...right next to the "Why not to move to NJ thread" we can place the "Click here to be told where to live by people that know thread"

I'm not telling anybody where to live. If you want to go make your habitation 9th Street in Camden, have at it. 

This guy is an adult and I expect that he will take advice from strangers on the internet with a grain of salt. My concern is to help a fellow human being. He is probably considering that a move to NJ will entail some minor inconveniences. It is much more a life-altering event for reasons aside from firearms. For example, one of the towns he is looking at - Edison -  has (arguably) the most corrupt police force in NJ. 

I am a life-long resident of this state which has increasingly become a cesspit. Take my advice, or not; I will sleep fine tonight either way.

Maybe the OP saw this ad

"NJ and You Perfect Together" - Gov. Kean

LOL. I remember seeing the original on TV a gazillion times on an 11inch black and white set with an antenna. How times have changed.

I still don't know what is up with Tom Kean's accent...

LOL. I remember seeing the original on TV a gazillion times on an 11inch black and white set with an antenna. How times have changed.

I still don't know what is up with Tom Kean's accent...

From his Wiki page -

Kean was initially educated at The Potomac School in Washington, D.C. When he reached the fourth grade, he entered St. Albans School. In 1946, at the age of eleven, his parents then enrolled him at St. Mark's School in Southborough, Massachusetts, the alma mater of his father and two older brothers.[3]

Point is he already has decided to move here....and just because YOU were all miserable here doesn't mean the OP will be...you've all made your point about how you hated it...we get it...you couldn't hack it here for whatever reason...ok fine...it's getting old already..I'm sure the OP isn't moving here for gun laws...he asked specific questions...let's give him answers...if he's adult enough to own firearms then I'm quit certain he thought things through..

Sorry jrfly, but to say "you couldn't hack it here" is a bit ridiculous. Most people on this forum say they want to or wish they can leave this state for various reasons:

Gun laws

Gov't corruption

High taxes

High cost of living

Horrible traffic and others.

To say people "can't hack it" is ridiculous. Maybe you like living here. Maybe you don't mind the high property taxes for nothing in return. Maybe you don't mind your freedoms being more and more restricted every day by corrupt politicians.

Others who have the opportunity to move and receive more freedom and more money in their pockets I don't view as not being able to "hack" living in NJ. I view them as smart in taking advantage of their opportunities.

I hope to be out of here in the next year or two and it has nothing to do with "hacking", but everything to do with happiness.

Sorry jrfly, but to say "you couldn't hack it here" is a bit ridiculous. Most people on this forum say they want to or wish they can leave this state for various reasons:

Gun laws

Gov't corruption

High taxes

High cost of living

Horrible traffic and others.

To say people "can't hack it" is ridiculous. Maybe you like living here. Maybe you don't mind the high property taxes for nothing in return. Maybe you don't mind your freedoms being more and more restricted every day by corrupt politicians.

Others who have the opportunity to move and receive more freedom and more money in their pockets I don't view as not being able to "hack" living in NJ. I view them as smart in taking advantage of their opportunities.

I hope to be out of here in the next year or two and it has nothing to do with "hacking", but everything to do with happiness.

sorry if it came out the wrong way..didn't mean to insult anyone....but my point is to each his own...my measurement is when I come home and my wife and kids are perfectly content where they live, go to school..the nearby entertainment/recreation..their friends...the family...q..the medical services(which I have unfortunately had the occasion to use for serious conditions before)....etc...am I gonna uproot them so I can have a can and a 30 rd mag?..hmm would love those things but their happiness comes first..

If you'd be more happy somewhere else that's fine...but lets not sour everyone who inquires about living here...they may love it..it might fit them well...they might have other overriding reasons..half of the people that spout about how bad it is here haven't moved yet...can they GUARANTEE me they're gonna love where their next destination is?...I know plenty of folks who moved away for greener pastures only to be back in a year or so telling me how bad the schools are...the job situation was....or how the secrets out how some states crush you in misc fees...but have no income tax...and contrary to popular belief there is no exodus...check any reputable population forecast and you will see how just about every one show the population increasing over the next ten years..

My final point because I think I managed to derail this thread by trying to stop others from derailing it...my bad..

When it comes to living here...YMMV...Your Mileage May Vary

Yep. No problem. People move for many different reasons. Just didn't like the way you worded your reason for people leaving. Didn't sound fair or nice. Probably just came out wrong.

Sure, there's the old saying, the grass is greener and I think we all know that isn't always true.

I won't beat the dead horse anymore than it already is, but if you're set on moving here please be an "active" gun owner. Aka join the NRA, NJ2AS (New Jersey Second Amendment Society), ANJRPC (Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs), etc and VOTE. Jersey has some of the lowest voter turnout in the nation, so please be part of the solution rather than the problem :)

Also, beware of the temptation to vote down party lines. Some people say "just vote Republican," but there are some R's who vote anti-gun and some D's who vote pro-gun (e.g. Jeff Van Drew is a dem but he sponsors pro gun bills EVERY YEAR without fail)

Welcome to the machine

I don't have objections to people pointing out the nice things about Jersey (i.e. food, beach, etc), although it doesn't seem to get mentioned much.

They just put a fresh coat of pain on the entire Gulag and the new bedtime chains have gone from 20 pounds to 10 pounds!

BTW, while this thread marches on the OP hasn't been back in 2 weeks!

I don't think we try to discourage people so much as let them know the world of shit they are actually getting into. Most people have no clue what is like to be a gun owner in nj and we want then to fill understand the situation they are getting into.

Great to see the continuing discussion!

I'm in the process of moving now - already my auto insurance has tripled and rent has doubled. I'm sure state taxes will be higher...

On the other hand good to hear that Gov. Christie has vetoed the 10-round limit! 

Also why the tolls everywhere?! Seems like everytime I go out - even for groceries - I'm paying a toll - anything from $1.5 to $13 (Lincoln tunnel) - where is all this money going?