Sign in to follow this  
DrMully

Moving from GA to NJ

Hi

I'm moving from Georgia to NJ in a few weeks and had some questions:

1. are there any limtis on number of handgunes / rifles you can own?

2. any restrictions on buying or owning ammo? can I buy online?

3. do you recommend I sell all my 15-round mags in light of the pending legislation to limit the capacity to 10 rounds?

Thanks in advance!

1. I dont think so but once in nj you will need a fid card to buy more.

2. Only one I know is you cannot carry hollow point but then again who can carry in this state anyway. You can still own it and use it at home for self defense or st the range. You can buy online and ship to your house.

3. Id keep them. If it is signed into law you will still have time to get rid of them before you become a criminal...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

It will pay to invest in a book by Evan Nappen that explains NJ's crazy gun laws.

There are no restrictions as to how many you can own.  You will however will find it prudent for future purchases in NJ to apply for and obtain a NJ Firearm Purchasers ID card (FID). This is done through the Police Department of your destination location or NJSP if your town does not have a full time PD.

There are laws against possession of certain types of ammo. Best to get the book mentioned above. You can order ammo online, however some online retailers will not ship to NJ, or ship without proof of a NJ FID. 

No law has been passed yet on the reduction to 10 round magazines.  Best to wait it out.

Again, Evan Nappen's book explains NJ gun law best.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/evan-nappen/new-jersey-gun-law/paperback/product-21264274.html

This is a very good read of our gun laws and its a sticky from this forum. Get yourself edjumacated-

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/29389-read-before-posting-nj-gun-law-faq/

Pay special attention to the AWB/ evil features game. Make sure your firearms are NJ legal! welcome to NJ , now quick turn around while you can...

CAN WE PLEASE JUST ANSWER THE OP'S QUESTION AND QUIT WITH THE DONT DO IT NONSENSE...YOU REALLY SOUND LIKE A BUNCH OF FOOLS...ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU TELL SOMEONE TO AVOID A STATE WHERE YOU CURRENTLY RESIDE..IM SURE HE IS PLENTY CAPABLE OF DECIDING WHERE HE WANTS TO LIVE

Most of what you ask was covered above...no limit on long guns or handguns that were previously owned.no limit on new long arms(with FID)...handguns limit one per month...dont ditch the 15 rd mags...Christie will veto it..there are a plethora of online ammo sources that will ship to NJ...some will ask for FID...

Best of luck on the move and welcome

On your way up there, drop all your firearms off with me for safe keeping! ;)

Serious note and correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't you have an FID when you transport your guns from your house to the range?

Serious note and correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't you have an FID when you transport your guns from your house to the range?

you don't "need" it but it is strongly recommended.

you don't "need" it but it is strongly recommended.

AKA, just get it.

Also remember to go directly to and from your house to the range.

I really enjoy not having to hold it in till I get home after going to the range.

CAN WE PLEASE JUST ANSWER THE OP'S QUESTION AND QUIT WITH THE DONT DO IT NONSENSE...YOU REALLY SOUND LIKE A BUNCH OF FOOLS...ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU TELL SOMEONE TO AVOID A STATE WHERE YOU CURRENTLY RESIDE..IM SURE HE IS PLENTY CAPABLE OF DECIDING WHERE HE WANTS TO LIVE

One of the best ways to deal with adversity is with humor. One of the best forms of humor when dealing with adverse situations is self-deprecating humor. Lighten up.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

One of the best ways to deal with adversity is with humor. One of the best forms of humor when dealing with adverse situations is self-deprecating humor. Lighten up.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Dont disagree with you Bob ..but when the majority of threads get hit with the "just move its a lost cause" crowd it gets old quick...not to mention lends nothing to the forum as a whole...and is especially useless to a new member looking to a group for some help...

Right cause my experience as an NJ resident for over 40 years has no bearing on the situation.  I was born in this state.  It WAS a good place to grow up.  Now, quite frankly it sucks and I will not be an apologist for a state that wants to *@%( me.

Let me give you the info on the down low:

NJ taxes vaccilate between #1 and #2 in the nation trading the spots with the illustrious CT.

NJ penalizes you for leaving NJ

NJ charges you for selling your house (on top of the line above)

NJ only lets you buy one handgun every once in a while

NJ makes hollow points illegal to carry regardless of whether you have a pistol on your person or not

NJ has NEVER lowered taxes despite property values tanking between 2008 and 2013

NJ does not let you pump your own gas

NJ requires your purchases to be written in a book for handgun ammo and Sudafed

NJ does not issue carry permits - justifiable need is bullshit

NJ does not follow its own laws (see pistol permit 30 day requirement, exemption for C&R license from OGAM, etc etc)

NJ career criminals routinely get gun charges dropped while we the people get bent over the bench and...

NJ voters are apathetic, only just a hair more so than their voting gun owners

It will pay to invest in a book by Evan Nappen that explains NJ's crazy gun laws.

There are no restrictions as to how many you can own.  You will however will find it prudent for future purchases in NJ to apply for and obtain a NJ Firearm Purchasers ID card (FID). This is done through the Police Department of your destination location or NJSP if your town does not have a full time PD.

There are laws against possession of certain types of ammo. Best to get the book mentioned above. You can order ammo online, however some online retailers will not ship to NJ, or ship without proof of a NJ FID. 

No law has been passed yet on the reduction to 10 round magazines.  Best to wait it out.

Again, Evan Nappen's book explains NJ gun law best.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/evan-nappen/new-jersey-gun-law/paperback/product-21264274.html

Thank for the link to Nappen's book! More than 500 pages long - but from what I hear the best info on the legalities....

moving here because of my wife's job and no choice to move elsewhere  :-(  even thought about commuting from PA but my commute then would be 2 hours each way

but at least the schools in NJ are ranked way better than in Atlanta

Can't change your mind?

Very sorry for your loss.  (of freedom)

WTF.!!!  Don't do it.  :tommy:  

If you can, I'd recommend you move to Eastern PA and commute. don't worry, a 1hour commute is normal here...

+1

You're one of the few moving TO PRNJ...most people are trying to GTFO.

This signature is AWESOME!!!

You're going the wrong way!!! You can stop by my place in NC and drop off all of your guns so you don't have to worry about nj gun laws. ;)

Out of curiosity, what are the current Georgia laws for ccw, mag limits, and evil features?

Easy ccw permit  - non-discretionary process - can carry in most places - recently they expanded it to even in the airport I think

I don't think there are mag limits - at least I never hit it!

my buddies have lots of features considered "evil" by NJ but fine by Feds - so my guess is GA just goes by the ATF regulations

Thank you for the helpful links! So a ccw is almost impossible?! Are we allowed to carry a knife?

I just finished reading a book by John Lott and wondering what the deterrence is for the bad guys when we are outside the home?

This is a very good read of our gun laws and its a sticky from this forum. Get yourself edjumacated-

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/29389-read-before-posting-nj-gun-law-faq/

Pay special attention to the AWB/ evil features game. Make sure your firearms are NJ legal! welcome to NJ , now quick turn around while you can...

This will get you started...

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/68599-fpid-p2p-application-process/

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

1. are there any limtis on number of handgunes / rifles you can own?
No limit on how many but you can't purchase more long guns without an FID card or any pistols without a permit to purchase handguns (one permit per gun, one gun per month)

There are also lots of guns you can't own - many links to that info before this post.

2. any restrictions on buying or owning ammo? can I buy online?

You can buy online and you can buy rounds for long guns.  Rounds that will fit in a handgun require a FID card to purchase.

3. do you recommend I sell all my 15-round mags in light of the pending legislation to limit the capacity to 10 rounds?
10 rounds isn't the law yet and if it becomes the law, and you choose to comply, you can have your mags permanently altered.

I'll mention that NJ has some rediculous transport rules too.   It's too complicated to post all the details here but the basics are from home to range, to gun shop, to place of business (that you own), are legal trips you can make with a handgun unloaded and secured in a case.  All other transport is a felony.  Don't stop at McD's on the way to the range.  No carry permits in NJ.  They exist but nobody qualifies.  Long guns may be transported unloaded and cased if you have a FID card.

moving here because of my wife's job and no choice to move elsewhere  :-(  even thought about commuting from PA but my commute then would be 2 hours each way

just trying to bring some humor to your future suffering.... :)

A couple points about the guns you already own: 

1-Make sure they are NJ legal-evil features, mag. limits, banned by name...

2-Someone may suggest you to register them with the police. It's is completely voluntary to do so. Use your judgement.

About carrying a knife:

1-It's is legal if you can articulate a LEGAL reason for carrying it, ie you work in a warehouse and need it to cut boxes. You are an electrician and need it to strip wires...

2-Look into any restrictions regarding to blade size and type of knife.

Good luck and welcome to NJ.

A couple points about the guns you already own:

1-Make sure they are NJ legal-evil features, mag. limits, banned by name...

2-Someone may suggest you to register them with the police. It's is completely voluntary to do so. Use your judgement.

About carrying a knife:

1-It's is legal if you can articulate a LEGAL reason for carrying it, ie you work in a warehouse and need it to cut boxes. You are an electrician and need it to strip wires...

2-Look into any restrictions regarding to blade size and type of knife.

Good luck and welcome to NJ.

I would only add that self defense is NOT considered a lawful purpose for carrying a knife.

moving here because of my wife's job and no choice to move elsewhere :-( even thought about commuting from PA but my commute then would be 2 hours each way

The commute in NJ depends greatly on the roads you drive. I am in central nj, 12 miles from work, and it takes me 40 minutes, and this is avoiding the clogged 287 highway.

The schools also greatly depend on the area. They rank high on paper because the curriculum is based on the standardized tests. They do not teach critical thinking. My 16 year old is learning to color within his biology class, and this is in a so called blue ribbon school.