Did a search and couldn't find a related topic. Moving within NJ and will have a temporary residence between permanent homes. Might be a short term rental or staying with family. Question is, where is it legal to keep guns during the in between?

That brings up a question, what NJ law is violated if you store your firearms at a place that is not your residence?

Sent from an undisclosed location.

I suppose the law would equate storage with possession. You are only allowed to possess firearms within certain exemptions and your home is one of them.

You can't transport to a place that isn't your residence and you can't carry them when you're there.  But If you can figure out a way to get them there without transporting them and you don't touch them while they're there, I don't see anything in the law making it illegal to store them there.

You can't transport to a place that isn't your residence and you can't carry them when you're there.  But If you can figure out a way to get them there without transporting them and you don't touch them while they're there, I don't see anything in the law making it illegal to store them there.

I guess "residence" is the key word. If my house is sold and I no longer own it and I haven't closed on the new home, where ever I'm staying is my residence. None of my ID's however would be applicable. So as usual in NJ I'm at the mercy of whom ever is interpreting the law should my temporary residence get raided!

If you were a multi-Millionaire and had several NJ residences from Bergen Co. to Cape May (time-shares, rentals, owned, etc.) you could have a safe at every one of them and transport firearms to local club ranges for matches or commercial operations to plink at within a reasonable driving distance.  You could even drive your $100K car (loaded with hand guns) from Bergen to Cape May county and stop at every house you own along the way, just to pee and do a perimeter check while you're ARMED!  When Sandy hit the Jersey shore, how many guns in how many safes owned by residents who were away in Bergen, Passaic, Somerset, Morris, and Essex (and other) counties at their "voting residence" do ya think went under water or were washed-out to sea?  Wanna guess the number of phone calls to the local cops to alert them of firearms in safes that were abandoned by the home owners who couldn't drive out to LBI?  Didn't hear social media screamin' about all of those firearms violation arrests did ya?  GET OVER IT already!  Time for a dose of reality!

We really need to stop splitting hairs on this forum and instead look outside of the box for some of the answers posed by such questions as the OP wrote here.   The law says "residence", NOT "permanent residence"  or "voting/registered residence".  That implies a temporary residence is still O-K.  A hand gun permit is merely a permit to purchase IN the PRNJ.  NO mandatory registration, so NO need for a firearms owner to have a permit.  GI .45's and Lugers from WW2 are still being handed-down to the next generation through wills and estates and widows simply doling-out guns to offspring.

Dave

44 years behind the trigger!