InFamous

Any other HK P7 PSP owners out there?

If you have two, you can alternate between them at the range so overheating won't be a problem. They were designed to be a defensive firearm for German LE. Overheating at the range was never a design concern. And, based on the wear that most of the German police surplus PSPs exibit, the German police didn't spend much time at the ranges during the 20 or so years that they used them.

If you have two, you can alternate between them at the range so overheating won't be a problem. They were designed to be a defensive firearm for German LE. Overheating at the range was never a design concern. And, based on the wear that most of the German police surplus PSPs exibit, the German police didn't spend much time at the ranges during the 20 or so years that they used them.

Typical German engineering. Over engineered for one goal yet completely missed a big one. :)

The hi p7m8, the Americanized one does have a regular mag release as well as heat shield. Stupid money though. I like my psp just as it is. Piece of history.

The PSP is machined from a billet of German steel. The pistol frame does get hot when you shoot 50 rounds through the pipe in a couple of minutes. The P7M8 heat shield doesn't really do a whole lot to prevent the frame from absorbing the heat and burning your hand if you touch it. I prefer the PSP heel mag release better than the "regular" one anyway.

Yes, I read that there were a lot of accidental mag drops because of the release on the American version, and that the heat shield didn't do much good. 

ogfarmer, definitely keep us updated!

Cleaning your PSP:

You will need to clean the piston and cylinder every 500 rounds or sooner if it feels like the slide is starting to bind. You need to use the HK factory tool to scrape the carbon from the bottom of the piston cylinder. Carbon should be removed from around the ring edges on the piston itself, but you don't have to be anal about removing all of the carbon from between the rings. You can use a carbon solvent with a .270 cylinder swab and a .270 nylon brush to keep the inside of the piston cylinder clean, and just a regular nylon brush and solvent to clean the piston itself. Don't use anything steel or you might gouge the metal and reduce performance. I don't even prescribe to using brass brushes.. Otherwise, cleaning the rest of your P7 is just like you would do to any other semi auto pistol.

I picked one up some years ago when the German police was switching over to something else, there were a bunch of P7 PSP's that came up for sale.

Laser accurate and I love the recoil signature.  The recoil is very fast without much muzzle movement.  One of the springs broke in mine and needs fixing.

Which spring broke? Numrich has had most of the springs, unless they are sold out now. HkParts.net also carries a number of P7 parts. I have my own stock of parts and have not been looking at availability lately.

I just went to Numrich and they had most springs in stock. If you call and pick up their daily shipping code, $$5 of shipping is free.

This is how I have it now. I got new HK knife and an extra mag over the holidays/my birthday.

HKP7AVA.jpg

Anyone have a link to a nice H&K Handgun case? I saw a few on ebay a few months ago but when I look a couple weeks ago I didn't see any.

Is that picture in Sepia?

HAHA I took it with my S5, you would think it would've come out better. But, no there isn't a filter on it unless it's accidentally set in my phone settings....which is possible. I only work for a cell phone company, doesn't mean I really care or do anything with my cell phones.

PSP has the bottom mag release?  I have a P7M8 and would buy another one except the prices are out of control  One of the best shooting pistols ever IMHO.

PSP has the bottom mag release?  I have a P7M8 and would buy another one except the prices are out of control  One of the best shooting pistols ever IMHO.

Yes the PSP has the bottom mag release. Mine was never imported, no import marks on it. The old man who originally purchased I believe was on military assignment in Germany back in the 80's and bought it there brand new and brought it back to the states, from what I was told at least. Highly doubt it even has many rounds through it.

Yes the PSP has the bottom mag release. Mine was never imported, no import marks on it. The old man who originally purchased I believe was on military assignment in Germany back in the 80's and bought it there brand new and brought it back to the states, from what I was told at least. Highly doubt it even has many rounds through it.

Out of the few I've seen and held, yours is the nicest example I have come across.

Out of the few I've seen and held, yours is the nicest example I have come across.

Except for the one scratch on the trigger guard I showed you, not a blemish on the rest of it that I've seen.

As far as accuracy, reliability, durability, and safety goes, the P7 is one awesome handgun design. Sure, the German's design is somewhat heavy and was expensive to produce, but look at the condition of most of theses 25+ year old pistols and it is really evident just how good he P7 platform is. Some just can't get used to the squeeze cocker design, but I am sold on them and using them is 2nd nature to me.