jackandjill

Advice on beginner motorcycle

MSF - Basic Rider Course done. Just passed the test. I never tired MC before and this class helped ALOT. I didnt realize how useful it is, until I took the class.

Dropping the bike (unintentionally) few times itself is well worth the money. Learning to ride in safe environment, having fun doing it with other learners, learning rules and passing test - priceless.

You will also most likely get a discount on your insurance. Be sure to mention you completed a rider safety course. When your ready for motorcycle insurance I highly recommend Rider. They are the best I've ever used.

I started with a 1988 Honda NX250, (or his big brother NX650)dual sport, u get 70 mpg and its fun to drive. They go around $1000-$1500

They never loose their value!!

Buy it , learn how to drive and 6 months you can sell it for the same price that you bought it.

Once you feel comfortable driving around with the bike, go and take this course a day: http://www.superbikeschool.com/schedule/

No one has asked you your age. It will have a strong relation with the type bike you will be most comfortable on. Having ridden 45+years and having a job where I get to chat about such things with others, and having taught or accompanied many newcomers over the years, I will guarantee you that if you are above 33-40 years old you will regret anything remotely resembling a sport riding position including some of the milder models mentioned in this thread. the advice to avoid a cruiser is bogus as they are made with mid-controls as well as forwards and the body position is most like a normal seated position. Howl away others, but even your BMW tucks those feet rearward of the norm slightly. Start with the most normal comfortable position possible. I also disagree with the dirt bike if you are in that age group, even though as a group the riders who start out on dirt are probably the best, as it will limit your opportunities to get out there unless you live on a farm, and you will probably lack the youthful hormones that go into much of that riding. Even enduros  require someone who's willing to bang themselves around and who recovers fast enough to go to work the next day.

I agree with a mid to smaller framed bike in the 500-750 range wholeheartedly. Several have been mentioned and all the Jap companies offer suitable models. They are small enough to be horsed around a little in an uncomfortable situation, which you are likely to encounter soon enough no matter how defensively you drive, and they have enough oomph to allow you to ride all the fine back roads that you should be starting out on without being a target. You should get a good used bike by one of the name companies so that you won't take a major beating when/if you outgrow it. A friend who loves to ride and is willing to take you along as your skill set grow gradually is also invaluable.

just remember there are two types of riders in the world, those that have been down and those that are gonna go down. don't get discouraged when you fall. just make sure you do everything in your power to make it as safe as possible. ride defensively and gear up.

" I will guarantee you that if you are above 33-40 years old you will regret anything remotely resembling a sport riding position including some of the milder models mentioned in this thread."

Now keep in mind I am NOT recommending a full scoot sport bike as a first bike but I disagree with the above statement. I have been fortunate enough to be able to own a lot of bikes. Im closing in on 46 years old. I tried 3 different cruisers, a Suzuki M109R, a HD Street Bob, and a HD V-Rod in recent years. I kept 0! I have actually found forward control bikes to be the most uncomfortable of all bikes for me. Truth be told the Ducati was rough on the wrists but other than that, was pretty comfortable. But my current ride works the best for me. All the nice race bits and power but easy on the wrists.

m109r-a.jpg

hog.jpg

vrod.jpg

1098.jpg

2014tuono.jpg

Go on youtube and watch some of the thousands of motorcycle crash videos search near misses as well.

Doesn't matter if you are on a 400 pound light weight or 1000 pound cruiser.

Shit happens and it happens fast. 

SEE Scan/search - evaluate - execute

Speed is your enemy

Been mentioned several times already, but you have to ride as if no one sees you. Doesn't matter even if they do see the bike, if there is an incident, the cage driver will claim he/she didn't see the bike, and it seems to be an accepted excuse.

Already mid November - the deer are rampant. A deer running out in front of you is nearly impossible to avoid hitting. With deer, the experts recommend not trying to avoid, just get on the brakes and minimize the impact. Odds are if you slow/stop and stop straight the animal will not be where you are heading by the time you get there.

That has worked well for me in many instances, except one (but there was no collision)

Road surfaces are cooling down. You would be surprised how much less traction you have as the surface gets cooler and or your tires are past their half way life.

Rain?

If I need my heated gear to ride, my travel speed drops significantly.

And if you are young and referring to a passenger that is your girlfriend, the odds are really good her dad will never "allow" you to take her for a ride.

10,000 miles may seem like a lot of experience. 10K in one year is. 10K over 5-6 years is not.

Once you get some experience, take the experienced rider course.

I had ridden for over 30 years before I did, and learned a few things.

If you have a friend or two to ride with, go for it, their experience may give you some good pointers. But stay away from organized large bike number rides until you are very comfortable riding with knuckleheads that don't pay attention.

Group riding is OK and can be fun. I like group riding, groups of 1-6, and the closer to one, the better.

I'm a little late to the game her but a MSF class is a must.  Farleigh Dickinson is where I took mine.  Great group of guys and they teach you the safe riding techniques that will prevent accidents down the road.  I started with a ZX6R.  Here she is in all her glory.

" I will guarantee you that if you are above 33-40 years old you will regret anything remotely resembling a sport riding position including some of the milder models mentioned in this thread."

Now keep in mind I am NOT recommending a full scoot sport bike as a first bike but I disagree with the above statement. I have been fortunate enough to be able to own a lot of bikes. Im closing in on 46 years old. I tried 3 different cruisers, a Suzuki M109R, a HD Street Bob, and a HD V-Rod in recent years. I kept 0! I have actually found forward control bikes to be the most uncomfortable of all bikes for me. Truth be told the Ducati was rough on the wrists but other than that, was pretty comfortable. But my current ride works the best for me. All the nice race bits and power but easy on the wrists.

I may have missed it, what is your current ride ?

Great advice all around. I have to start somewhere and this not going to be my last bike. Inclined get a used, light bike to ride around town before going big. I work about 20 minutes from home, all local roads.

Got a decent deal on 2013 Honda CBR 250, used, 3K miles and bought it. It has good gas mileage too.

I am sure I will get either bored or will grow out of it in no time. Also had word with a forum member here so will be on look out for  anything else that comes along for decent price. 

So for now, CBR250 it is.

Great advice all around. I have to start somewhere and this not going to be my last bike. Inclined get a used, light bike to ride around town before going big. I work about 20 minutes from home, all local roads.

Got a decent deal on 2013 Honda CBR 250, used, 3K miles and bought it. It has good gas mileage too.

I am sure I will get either bored or will grow out of it in no time. Also had word with a forum member here so will be on look out for  anything else that comes along for decent price. 

So for now, CBR250 it is.

Good for you!!!!  great choice....  You might not get rid of it as fast as you think....  

a good quote...

" It is more fun to ride a slow bike fast ......  then a fast bike slow...."

Learn your skills.... and you will be surprised how quickly you can flick that thing thru the twisties.....