Pew Pew Plates

Anybody ever "carpet" with runners?

I'm currently fitting out my basement reloading and gunsmithing area and I've come to a segment that I could use some advise and experience on.

My basement is unfinished, and it will remain that way.  It has a bare concrete floor.  I want to be able to wander around and work downstairs barefoot/in socks and not have cold dirty feet.  I don't want to spend the coin on a "real" carpet, and I also want the ability to roll it up in case I want to roll something on the bare floor.

On the flip side, I also don't want it to look ghetto.  But obviously a somewhat temporary carpet is going to look more ghetto than wall to wall, so its some sort of balance.

Here's a piece of the area

160F58E3-84C2-4F48-BB9E-3E3F78A10107_zps

Anyways, what I'm wondering is would it make the most sense to buy however many rolls of this I need
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Multy-Home-Tracker-Gray-26-in-x-60-ft-Roll-Runner-MT1000275EAUS/202972624

and then basically carpet the walking space?  Maybe trim it to go a foot under the table or so for coverage. 
The sides would overlap a little, but they appear "stepped" which may make a good seam?  Good being a relative term of course....  will a rolling chair snag it annoyingly?

Any input is greatly appreciated...thanks!

Unfinished / unheated basements can be problematic.  Carpet and dry conditions can cause static electricity problems, not reloading friendly. Not to mention is does nothing from stopping the cold radiating up through the floor, unless you have a heated floor. In the summer the carpet is a moisture magnet and dampness becomes a problem. I have used rolled floor mats from Harbor Freight, but found what works best for me is a length of horse mat from Tractor Supply. It is 3/4 inch thick stops the cold and is comfortable.  I never reload without something other than socks on my feet.  Sneakers or work boots in the winter (floor just to cold) or Crocs in the summer. 

Untreated concrete floors allow moisture and cold to be a problem.  Perhaps sealing the floor would help with that. 

Not that it is super cheap, but a number of years ago (from HomeDepot) we got insulated carpet "squares".  They are not truly square as they are curved on the top and bottom.  They have about a half inch of rubber on the back and you fit them all together as puzzle pieces.  After a while you no longer see the lines and it looks like wall to wall carpet.  It can be removed and the insulation keeps you warm and is quite padded. 

lots of options 

1.carpet and buy office chair floor protector <-- a no no if you get water in that room ) 

2.linoleum tile  cheap and easy to lay down and it looks ok...  or ceramic tile

3.paint the whole floor and then buy paint flakes and throw/spread it all over the floor (looks cool)

or spend the money on something else thats needed and just wait till your all done with your room,then do the floor

Just get carpet tiles, they use pressure sensitive glue. You can peel them up and replace, or remove at any time. And you can just do the area you want. I personally would prefer an anti fatigue mat myself but if your heart is set on carpet go with carpet tiles easy peasy, & cheap $.99per Sq foot. If one gets a stain you can replace just one tile.

http://m.homedepot.com/b/Flooring-Carpet-Carpet-Tile-Carpet-Tile/N-5yc1vZbo4w

Just get carpet tiles, they use pressure sensitive glue. You can peel them up and replace, or remove at any time. And you can just do the area you want. I personally would prefer an anti fatigue mat myself but if your heart is set on carpet go with carpet tiles easy peasy, & cheap $.99per Sq foot. If one gets a stain you can replace just one tile.

http://m.homedepot.com/b/Flooring-Carpet-Carpet-Tile-Carpet-Tile/N-5yc1vZbo4w

The only thing I've found with Carpet tiles is that 2 weeks after you install a particular pattern, that pattern gets discontinued, so 2 years later  you're SOL and end up replacing the works again.     Always buy at least a dozen more tiles than you need.

The only thing I've found with Carpet tiles is that 2 weeks after you install a particular pattern, that pattern gets discontinued, so 2 years later you're SOL and end up replacing the works again. Always buy at least a dozen more tiles than you need.

Solid advice ^^^^ and definitely stick to a solid color that's not off the wall unique.