NJSigfan

Need help with tire choices for Jeep Wrangler JK model

Lalo - thank you for the links, they were great. Looks like I found the size I want/need; now to find a reputable place to buy and have them installed.

So what size tire did you go with? I'm pretty sure whatever tire I'll use on my stock 17" rims will require me to use a spacer (not sure what size) and will possibly have to add some washers to my steering stop in case I rub when turning.

I'm looking for a tire that I can use for daily road driving that will still be good with mileage. Not planning on taking it off-roading other than some light trails and NJ snow of course.

So what size tire did you go with? I'm pretty sure whatever tire I'll use on my stock 17" rims will require me to use a spacer (not sure what size) and will possibly have to add some washers to my steering stop in case I rub when turning.

I'm looking for a tire that I can use for daily road driving that will still be good with mileage. Not planning on taking it off-roading other than some light trails and NJ snow of course.

Lalo - right now I'm leaning towards the nitro Terra Grappler 295/70R17 with 2inch spacers. The 2nd choice looks to be the general grabbers in a similar size. At this point I'll see how the first serious snow goes on the stock tires. Providing that goes well I'll get the tire switch done in early April after I save up the rest of the cash.

27440522544444b7af88f1e43d737d45.jpg

you can fit 35" with 1" spacer. km2 are the best on road and off road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that your jeep? And you fit 35s with no lift at all? Just 1inch well spacers? How's the rubber with the wheel articulated and pinned for full steering ?

On a stock jk u can fit 33's. You can actually go bigger with differed fenders. All depends in how much you're worried about rubbing. They r all low center gravity set ups now. Lots of flex but little lift. Also most tires are not actual size. 33 doesn't mean 33. They r usually a little smaller. I have 35 duratracs on mine and it runs great with 2.5"lift.

Jersey Shore Jeep Club and NJJA.

I was just jeep shopping today --  Who's the best dealer in NJ?  I went to Fullerton Jeep in Bridgewater on rt 22 -- close to home

Anyway My wife is in need of a new ride -- she drives an Avalanche now -- I've been GM all my life -- But we like the 4 door jeep

We drove the willys model tonight it had 32" BFG mud terrains on it from the factory -- Jeep rode like crap -- those tires are way too hard -- you could feel every knobby on them

I run General grabbers on my suburban  35-12.50-15 burb has about 7 to 8 inches of lift -- those tires are great -- quiet and capable but they do load up with mud in the slick stuff

Heavyopp - I wasn't a fan of Fullerton. I felt they were pushing the heavily modified jeeps and like you didn't like the ride of the mud terrain tires. Also the Willy's isn't offered with a power window or doors so I passed.

flemington Jeep had a decent selection when I bought mine in April/may. The sales people were nice, but theirs prices seemed high for the slightly modified jeeps. They had a freedom edition jeep with 35s on a "lift" plus a few other options but wouldn't move on the price more than a grand. When I asked what kind of lift was installed all they could tell me was "2inches". After I asked for the jeep to be put in the rack so I could see it did they tell me it was a budget lift with coil spacers. Over priced for what you were getting

So I ended up driving to Nielsen in whippany. A longer drive yes, but they had a decent selection of lightly modified and stock trim line jeeps. Prices were similar to other dealers but they moved close to 4k off the adjust lease price and gave me more for an trade I had. Win win in my book. Sales guy was nice, knew his stuff and took the time to deal with my newb questions. His name was Chris.

If your looking for a wrangler that drives nicer and has all the luxury items look at the Sahara trim line,...

Flemington wouldn't deal....  That sucks -- whippany is a long way for service -- I'm milling around leasing --  Most say it's the better way -- pay for the part of the car you use and buy it if you like at the end --

Anyone mind telling what they pay for the monthly lease?  

I know it's not a caddy but in no way should you be able to feel every knobby on the tires --  poor choice of tire in my opinion -- BFG mud terrain

You shouldn't feel every bump but it still is a jeep. Tin can for $40k. Also could be too much air in the tires. Bigger or mud terrain tires don't run as well filled max. I have 35's and run about 30 lbs of air. Runs good for street and don't have to air down on the beach.

Also make sure u get it in writing that any mods done by the dealer will not void the warranty. Apparently lots of dealers are putting on non Mopar aftermarket lifts and such which will void the warranty. They know there is a market for modded jeeps so they r taking advantage of it in any way.

I used to have 35-14.50-15 Mickey thompson baja belted on a blazer back in the 90's --  Ran them at 19 pounds and had to watch weekly -- any change in pressure caused them to wear excessively 

Too much and the centers would wear -- to little and the edges would wear --  I went thru 3 sets of them until I decided they where just too much work -- Only got 20,000 miles out of each set

They looked bad ass and preformed well both on and off road

I do like the general grabber AT2 I have on the burb now --  Good all around tire and does real well in the snow -- They do load up in the slick mud,clay but clean pretty decent with a bump on the throttle

I wouldn't have the dealer do squat --  I don't need another lifted vehicle and when and if I do I'll do it myself when it's out of warranty

It's a Jeep! Who needs power windows? My doors stay in the garage unless I hear a call for rain, even then I may not take them with me. This is why I hate JK'S... the owners don't even wave to anyone lol. Power windows.... buy a grand Cherokee then.

Also make sure u get it in writing that any mods done by the dealer will not void the warranty. Apparently lots of dealers are putting on non Mopar aftermarket lifts and such which will void the warranty. They know there is a market for modded jeeps so they r taking advantage of it in any way.

I'm not really sure what your talking about because when you purchase the vehicle the warranty info is in writing on the sticker, but in all honesty you are buying a modified vehicle.. why should the factory warranty still apply to replaced non-factory parts..? A warranty is to protect against "factory faults". Your best bet is to find dealers that are mod friendly..they are out there. Even Mopar parts are not covered under factory warranty and carry their own warranty. I've seen warranties denied for mud and scratches on the underside of the vehicle, so if they want to get out of warranty work they are pretty good at doing it no matter what is in writing.. Even if you replaced say the springs on a JK with those on a JKU to get 2" of lift, its still not factory and still can void warranty. Putting bigger tires on you vehicle can void warranty, the list can go on and on.. but the only difference is some shops pretend like a small mod caused a huge problem.. The only way they can legally deny warrant work is to prove the modification cause the problem.. or at least thats what the law states.

Most people who walk in and buy a modded jeep, dont know 2 things about modding a jeep, and thats kinda their own fault. They're over priced look like crap 99% of the time and lack the necessary upgrades needed for most of the replaced suspension components. If you dont know what your buying your going to end up with a 3.5" lifted jeep and broken drive shafts. best part is they never even hit the dirt... modded jeeps are like the new midlife crisis. A jeep can be personalized a million different ways, why would anyone ever buy one already modded is beyond me.. most of the fun is in the modding and enjoying those mods on the trails. But, if ya wanna look cool.. to a jeeper you usually look a like a doofus.

There r plenty of horror stories out of there about jeep warranties being voided due to any mods. I agree not to buy a modded jeep from a dealer. That way you can get what you want without buying extra useless stuff that they put on there. And most people don't wheel them anyway so they don't know what they are buying. But dealers will basically blacklist you for doing anything if they want to. I've had personal experience with a dealer and service manager that said they are mod friendly to get the deal. Then conveniently forgot that once I had a problem with a warranty part that had nothing directly due to the mod. Yes the it's all part of the jeep so technically they are related but the dealer was just being a car dealer. There is an interesting forum topic on pirate 4x4 in which the owner of that site used a lawyer and lawsuit to make jeep take his jeep off the voided warranty lift. It was an expensive a laborious project.

I leased my jeep from whippany, but I'll have flemington do any work that I need since it's closer. As for modding it, I agree that most of the fun is modding it yourself and proper research is needed so you don't look like an ass.

As for waving, I always wave when I see a jeep and get a response maybe 50% of the time. I just chalk it up too people not

Aging attention.

As for what I paid, I'm under 400 a month with no money out of pocket, not even taxes, on a 36 month 15k/ year lease. And I walked out of the dealership with a 5500 check for my trade.

Right now I going with general grabbers at2 with 2in spacers. Size will be 34 inches or as close as I can find

Grabbers are a great choice -- I'm unclear what you mean by 2" spacers -- are you talking 2" wheel spacers between the rim and hub face pushing the tire assembly 2" outward?

That never used to be DOT legal -- did something change or do we just not care?    

I have wheel spaces like that on my Samurai -- it's strictly off road and gets trailered to the trail head -- Sammy sits on toyota axles -- runs 36" tires

It's a Jeep! Who needs power windows? My doors stay in the garage unless I hear a call for rain, even then I may not take them with me. This is why I hate JK'S... the owners don't even wave to anyone lol. Power windows.... buy a grand Cherokee then.

Even my wife says she could care less about power windows but power locks are really convenient -- I don't think you can get 1 without the other

I never drove without doors so don't know what it's like

And its a hard top --  wife don't want a soft top and neither do I -- I have no issues taking it off though 

Even my wife says she could care less about power windows but power locks are really convenient -- I don't think you can get 1 without the other

I never drove without doors so don't know what it's like

And its a hard top -- wife don't want a soft top and neither do I -- I have no issues taking it off though

I never lock my doors even with the hard top on. my jeep doesn't require keys to start, if you can figure out what to do to make it run without me showing you then you deserve to steal it lol. Soft doors don't have locks anyway. I have a tuffy security glove box and console. Anything important gets locked inside. But honestly there's nothing laying around inside to take. Two seats and a steering wheel. Doesn't even have carpet. I don't live in a place where vehicle theft is common. At home its usually inside my garage anyway.

Grabbers are a great choice -- I'm unclear what you mean by 2" spacers -- are you talking 2" wheel spacers between the rim and hub face pushing the tire assembly 2" outward?

That never used to be DOT legal -- did something change or do we just not care?    

I have wheel spaces like that on my Samurai -- it's strictly off road and gets trailered to the trail head -- Sammy sits on toyota axles -- runs 36" tires

Heavyopp - yes, that's exactly what I mean. It gives the jeep a wider stance and helps push the backspacing on the rim to 4.5 inches. From what I've read the backspacing helps to prevent the tires rubbing on the tie and steering rods