SJG

Green Laser vs Red Laser on Handgun

I don't use lasers so I don't know which is better or why but I would suggest trying them out if you can. I am color blind and can not see the red dot well in any conditions unless in a dark room. I have no problem with seeing the green. I do have a red dot sight on a 22 AR and I can not use the red dot either I have to use the green to be able to see the dot.   

For sure HE...

The red laser's wavelength makes the beam invisible during day and visible at night IF there are particles in it's path like dust, mist, smoke, etc... In most cases, the red dot can only be seen at night or in subdued light outside. Same inside.

The green's wavelength is more visible to the eye, day or night. Not only will you see the green beam most of the time in the day except unless in real bright light as well as the dot. But at night, in almost any condition, you'll really see the beam clear without particles in it's path as well as the dot.

Both have their caveats. For the green especially, it will reveal your location like connect the dots. The red, the opfor will have to look for you but with minimal effort because it will be cutting angles and look like it's moving all over. Green too. While I don't advocate lasers, they may be good in certain conditions. But they are electronic and can fail.

Also, any slight movement on your part will not give you a good point unless you are prone or crouched or benched. Etc, etc, etc... The dot will look like it's having an epileptic fit, especially the longer the distance. It also gets larger the further out it goes.

That's some reasons. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AS dumb as it's gonna sound, a laser helped me. not so much in that i was aiming with it. i was pulling....anticipating the recoil. i thought i wasn't. turned on the laser on my beretta, and immediatley noticed that the dot dropped a good 6" on the target when i was shooting at 10 yards. i used that to correct myself. now i really don't pull.

AS dumb as it's gonna sound, a laser helped me. not so much in that i was aiming with it. i was pulling....anticipating the recoil. i thought i wasn't. turned on the laser on my beretta, and immediatley noticed that the dot dropped a good 6" on the target when i was shooting at 10 yards. i used that to correct myself. now i really don't pull.

You could have identified and corrected the same problem with 3 dummy rounds and saved a bunch of $$. ;)

I have mixed feelings about lasers. With a red laser, I found that I was more accurate, without the laser, and found it distracting. I suppose green would also be distracting. The other downside, as you point out, an assailant can "track" your movement and location unless it is deactivated when you change position. They do, of course, reveal to you when you are "on the torso" of a possible target when you can't really sight in your target although I generally train to be able to point and shoot without using sights,if I have to. There may or may not be a psychological deterrent effect, although, if you are going to draw your weapon, to defend yourself, you want to fire. They may have a "cool factor" but I am not sure if there is really an advantage. What am I missing?

I can say with 100% surety that there is zero deterrent value in a laser. I had one on a duty gun for a time and after having pointed it at many bad guys, never once did I get an "Oh shit" reaction or an immediate change in behavior due to presence of a laser on their body.

As far as pointing to your location that's not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things. There are TTPs that can be used to avoid it. And if you think about it, it is no different than doing something under lit conditions. There is no "cloak of invisibility" during the day that hides you from your enemies.

I have mixed feelings about lasers. With a red laser, I found that I was more accurate, without the laser, and found it distracting. I suppose green would also be distracting. The other downside, as you point out, an assailant can "track" your movement and location unless it is deactivated when you change position. They do, of course, reveal to you when you are "on the torso" of a possible target when you can't really sight in your target although I generally train to be able to point and shoot without using sights,if I have to. There may or may not be a psychological deterrent effect, although, if you are going to draw your weapon, to defend yourself, you want to fire. They may have a "cool factor" but I am not sure if there is really an advantage. What am I missing?

lassere should not to be used as a sights (to determine point of impact), just a general idea of it. this beeing said thats why you are more accurate without