OfcrFek

How to get my handgun home...

how about that site on buds... shipmygun.com $29 to your FFL. Use an FFL who knows you to make arrangements(hopefully minimal charge), bring your pistol permit with appropriate serial numbers and ID/FID. Never used them before but your situation brought this to mind.

Options

1 ship it to yourself. Legal but you may not find a carrier willing to do it by their rules.

2 ship it to a known ffl for purposes of repair (you think the sights are off). No new pp or 4473 required for return to you.

3 carry it yourself home.

I recommend number 2 but it's your life.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Options

1 ship it to yourself. Legal but you may not find a carrier willing to do it by their rules.

2 ship it to a known ffl for purposes of repair (you think the sights are off). No new pp or 4473 required for return to you.

3 carry it yourself home.

I recommend number 2 but it's your life.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I forgot about doing that.

question: how did you get it down there?

also the last time I dealt with amtrak (which was last year) they weren't all nazi-ish like airports, mostly because of the scheduling I guess. I was able to get on and off the train before it left to help mom on-board. She easily could have smuggled a suitcase of blow down to D.C.

question: how did you get it down there?

also the last time I dealt with amtrak (which was last year) they weren't all nazi-ish like airports, mostly because of the scheduling I guess. I was able to get on and off the train before it left to help mom on-board. She easily could have smuggled a suitcase of blow down to D.C.

It probably happens all the time. There is nobody watching.

I drove down w/ my now inlaws. During the week, I got married at the vaction house. At this point, they drove back up to PRNJ, and their daughter and I rented a car and are continuing south for our honeymoon. Then, we are taking an Amtrak sleeper train back to Trenton when it's done. I'm just shipping to a coworker who has a part time, home based FFL. Strangely enough, I was going to have him look at the safety, decocker on it, so this is the perfect excuse.

218 says you can't carry where federally prohibited. Amtrak is one of those areas. Trust me, when I called them, I was quick to tell them who I worked for, and they were quick to tell me it doesn't matter unless I'm on duty.

The difference is that it is completely legal to ship a firearm to yourself. The carriers may not want to ship it, but you do not have a duty to report what it is to them.

Yes it is legal to ship to yourself. The problem is Fedex, UPS, etc won't let you by their policy. There is also a Federal requirement to declare a firearm shipment to a common carrier.

One thing I've read about is how people driving to Alaska through Canada ship handguns for their personal use to Alaska. By prearrangement they ship the gun to themselves care of a FFL in Alaska. The FFL just holds the package as it is addressed to you care of them. They charge you a small fee and just give you the unopened package when you pick it up. Not sure of the legality of this as far as a FFL receiving a firearm and not logging it in a timely manner.

Yes it is legal to ship to yourself. The problem is Fedex, UPS, etc won't let you by their policy. There is also a Federal requirement to declare a firearm shipment to a common carrier.

One thing I've read about is how people driving to Alaska through Canada ship handguns for their personal use to Alaska. By prearrangement they ship the gun to themselves care of a FFL in Alaska. The FFL just holds the package as it is addressed to you care of them. They charge you a small fee and just give you the unopened package when you pick it up. Not sure of the legality of this as far as a FFL receiving a firearm and not logging it in a timely manner.

The duty to report it to a common carrier does not apply when you are shipping it to yourself.   It applies when you are shipping it in commerce i.e. buying or selling or doing it on behalf of someone else for a fee.   If you completely parse the language out, shipping it to yourself may violate their policy but it does not violate any laws.

Yes, I shipped it, and everything arrived safely back at home. Quite frankly, Amtrak's "security" was a joke, at least at the station I was at. No gates, scanners, metal detectors, or even security officers at the station I went on. They didn't even ask if I had anything in my bag that I shouldn't. The guys near the train were really only checking people's tickets in the sleeper car section that I was in. 

Big Brother looking out for us always worries me.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/dec/20/nation/la-na-terror-checkpoints-20111220

As for trains, if the TSA isn't doing it, the Amtrak Police are.  They have had dogs sniffing all over the "Auto Train" stations for some time. If the dog hits on your car at the Auto Train Station, be prepared for a "shake and bake" inspection!