Krdshrk

Off Duty Police Officer fires @ Teens who knocked on his door Late at Night - Sparta, NJ

Here's something to consider.  Anyone remember that cop that shot that guy in the back as he ran away in that park?  Someone got it on their cell phone.

So let's say this guy was a better shot and put a round in the back of that 18 year old's head....

Dropped him as he was getting into the car... or as he drove it.

What's the situation now?  And why is his inability to hit what he was shooting at a factor in the consequences?

Edit:  One difference is the locale.  A public space,,, vs ,,,, private property.

The formula here is fairly simple. You or I do it we get arrested and charged. A cop does it and 98% of the time they wait for it to blow over. It's his word against theirs and you know who the justice system believes. 

This reminds me somewhat of the "creeps breaking into my car 100 feet away outside" thread of some time ago. After the kids ran he should have tried to get a description of the car if possible, and dialed 911. He was out of danger. This is why God created 911.

The formula here is fairly simple. You or I do it we get arrested and charged. A cop does it and 98% of the time they wait for it to blow over. It's his word against theirs and you know who the justice system believes. 

Waiting for the Linden cop who had a BAC of 3x the legal limit and caused the death of two of his buddies to be charged. Its been months... 

Maybe the next time a police officer sees a burglary occur, he should get a description and call it in rather than give chase. :facepalm:

IMHO, from the statements reported, the chase was warranted, but not the shooting.

Police don't call 911. They are 911. They have a duty to go above and beyond you and me.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

IMHO, from the statements reported, the chase was warranted, but not the shooting.

So just to be clear, you are ok with a cop jumping in his personally owned vehicle and taking off after someone? (Someone here being non-violent teenagers guilty perhaps of generalized stupidy and maybe trespassing.)

I am a teen and some guy shoots at me and chases me in his car the most likely outcome is a fiery wreck with multiple dead people. I guess that is the price of costing "the man" some beauty sleep.

Police don't call 911. They are 911. They have a duty to go above and beyond you and me.

It has been mentioned tons of times in other contexts on this forum that the courts have not necessarily found that cops have much of a duty.

Mistaken house? Come on. They were breaking in. He was chasing burglars.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

I understand the cop had no idea who they were or what they were doing. Buts its clear as day they weren't try to break in to rob the place. The kid gave his real name to the guy, burglars don't do that. I get the confusion when it all went down, but now looking back all 3 kids held the same story(rare unless true) and one even told the home owner his real name.

Mistaken house? Come on. They were breaking in. He was chasing burglars.

Given that a neighbor apparently acknowledges knowing them, that is not too plausible.

This guy watched too many cowboy movies. It reminds me of It's a Wonderful Life when George decks the cop and runs away and the cop busts off like six shots down main street trying to shoot him in the back.