Sign in to follow this  
RIK

Suggestions for AR under or around $1000 or alternative rifle for home defense

I have been shooting .22 rifles and pistols for years but, with the world having become so unsafe I want to get a more powerful home defense weapon for myself and possibly my wife to become comfortable with.

It seems like the logical choice is an AR-15 and I would like to keep the price at or below $1000 so I can add the needed optics ( scope,red-dot or perhaps a top mounter optic and a side mounted iron site as well ) without exceeding $1500 but,if someone cares to suggest a different platform I am certainly interested in hearing what they have to say.

The more information and the more detailed the better. for example if you suggest a specific brand AR and a specific model to be purchased at a specific shop that would be perfect but, a general guideline such as, "you DON'T need an expensive AR, any brand will do so look at Del-ton" or you DO need a better brand so look at Colt or Daniel Defense " or "don't limit yourself to AR's look at AK-47's or 74's instead" would also be appreciated.

I know I want more than a 9mm pistol for home-defense and want something that ultimately my 5 foot 100 pound wife can also handle aside from that  the subject is so broad I need good advice to even start my search so if you are willing to pass on some of your experience I would be grateful.

Thanks ,Rik

For $1000 you can buy a lot of AR right now.  

Turns out you actually can't, or at least not easily. You can but a lot of $500-$600 ARs I wouldn't trust, and you can buy buy a lot of really nice AR's for about $1500, but it seems the land in between is kinda undeserved right now.  The only thing I can quickly find in that land are the Colt 6920 which frankly doesn't deserve the $900 they are asking for it (the last one I played with was really underwhelming) and the SW MP15 for about $850. Both would require compliance work for NJ laws bring the number to about $1000.

Your other options is to shop for "halves" and see if you find an upper you like to mate to a lower you like and you might end up slightly cheaper

If the primary use for this rifle is home defense you don't need optics. Iron sights will do fine. The chance of engaging a bad guy at 5 yards in a home defense situation is likely. Probably never at 50 yards. Optics will most likely slow you down at home defense ranges.

For $1000 you can buy a lot of AR right now.  

Turns out you actually can't, or at least not easily. You can but a lot of $500-$600 ARs I wouldn't trust, and you can buy buy a lot of really nice AR's for about $1500, but it seems the land in between is kinda undeserved right now.  The only thing I can quickly find in that land are the Colt 6920 which frankly doesn't deserve the $900 they are asking for it (the last one I played with was really underwhelming) and the SW MP15 for about $850. Both would require compliance work for NJ laws bring the number to about $1000.

Your other options is to shop for "halves" and see if you find an upper you like to mate to a lower you like and you might end up slightly cheaper

Sig M400 Enhanced looks decent and it should be under 1K...

Ottomanellis has a beautiful spikes tactical with lightweight rail for 1060. It comes with a hard case and was super nice. You can also get a Wyndham for under a grand but I liked the spikes.

for under $1k i think it would be hard to beat a 6920. very few of the others will have the quality of small parts, properly staked gas key and bolt. proper materials for the bolt and bolt carrier. I believe it will come with a H or H2 buffer as well. If Colt managed to move the gas port to the mid-length spot with a proper size gas port and not change anything else on the rifle it really would be hard to beat. the real thing that screws you is you have to change the muzzle device. if you didnt you could add a centurion arms c4 rail and magpul fixed carbine stock and still be under $1k