concrete_boots

S&W ar15-22 jamming ftf fte

Anyone else have issues with the M&P 15-22?

First day out and it was really frustrating...shot a full mag first with no issues. Then the next 5 were jamming spuratically...took apart, oiled up, still the same...was shooting Federal champion & Winchester X..both I've thought I read that this gun likes...

Looking into the common ejector pin issue and possibly replacing it with the volquartsen...but shouldn't have to fix or send back a brand new gun !

Pix4clix

E01B3C25-0E64-408D-861A-10E13B125FA9_zps

The only thing I've found consistently with 22 is that it's unreliable. I'd keep checking different ammo before i started buying new parts. Run a box of cci mini mags through it. I've had good luck with that through semi autos. Never shot a 15-22 thohgh

They are supposed to be good rifles.

You switched MAGAZINES and started having problems, not clips. The feed lips on one of your mags may be presenting the wrong angle. Is FTE failure to extract or failure to eject? If it's eject, try stronger ammo.

Honestly, I'd take it for one more ride (real soon) and if I couldn't figure out what was up I would send it back. There is no reason to have to tune a brand new .22 semi. If it was auto we'd be having a much longer, more painful discussion.

I think federal makes two versions of the Champion ammo

Lead nose & copper plate.

If your running lead nose, stop, clean / polish the feed ramp and use a

copper plated ammo. 

As stated earlier - CCI Mini Mags are the best choice. 

A lot of semi-autos don't like lead nose ammo because it scores up the feed ramp

and slows the timing......

Actually, Aguila Super Extra is the best. Take it from me, a guy that does 275 round mag dumps in full auto from finicky conversion kits. The bullet profile is a little better for feeding than CCI. That Mexican ammo smells horrible, though.

But I would not be willing to compromise or go to great lengths to get a brand new factory gun running. That's BS.

I hate to say it because I'm a S&W fanboy but I think they may be having a QC issue with these guns. A few months ago a good friend of mine brought his M&P 15-22 over for me to look at. First time out with a brand new gun and it was key holing and the accuracy was all over the place. One look down the barrel and I found the issue. There was a huge lump of lead on one side of the barrel. I began to clean it out and realized that under it was a steel burr left over from when they rifled the barrel I guess. He sent it back to S&W and they put on a new barrel and sent him 10 mags as compensation. The rifle fun great now even with shitty lead bulk ammo

Mine runs well as long as I use nothing lighter than 40gr.

It eats lead nose and copper jacketed stuff just fine.

Mine is 4 years old though, and hasn't had much use the last couple years since .22 prices and availability went full retard.

If you search, you will find plenty of threads outlining the rifles sensitivity to ammo.

I hate to say it because I'm a S&W fanboy but I think they may be having a QC issue with these guns. A few months ago a good friend of mine brought his M&P 15-22 over for me to look at. First time out with a brand new gun and it was key holing and the accuracy was all over the place. One look down the barrel and I found the issue. There was a huge lump of lead on one side of the barrel. I began to clean it out and realized that under it was a steel burr left over from when they rifled the barrel I guess. He sent it back to S&W and they put on a new barrel and sent him 10 mags as compensation. The rifle fun great now even with shitty lead bulk ammo

Likely a race to the bottom. There is a lot of competition in that market right now. Between all the various .22 clones and the various conversion kits, .22 makers are laughing all the way to the bank.

• Like 1

Likely a race to the bottom. There is a lot of competition in that market right now. Between all the various .22 clones and the various conversion kits, .22 makers are laughing all the way to the bank.

True.

But the .22 "trainers" were all the rage a few years ago (their popularity caused the market to flood with new makers/models) because .22LR was plentiful and cheap when .223/5.56 was not.

If they don't get .22 back to "good 'ol days" in both pricing and availability, I think the bottom is going to completely fall out.

I have a 2 or 3 month old MP 15-22 in the Pumpkin color. One of the mags doesn't feed right, three others work fine. If i use the one mag, it demolishes the CCI .22lr HP's i use. Stupid me keeps putting it back away with the others.. I get the occasional FTF/FTE, but it's not bad at all considering how many rounds the wifey puts through the damn thing (went through 300 rds the last time). Pretty sure my Sig M400 (AR15) has had more failures. Try switching the mags like i did, if it is in fact the rifle, give Smith a call.

I have a 2 or 3 month old MP 15-22 in the Pumpkin color. One of the mags doesn't feed right, three others work fine. If i use the one mag, it demolishes the CCI .22lr HP's i use. Stupid me keeps putting it back away with the others.. I get the occasional FTF/FTE, but it's not bad at all considering how many rounds the wifey puts through the damn thing (went through 300 rds the last time). Pretty sure my Sig M400 (AR15) has had more failures. Try switching the mags like i did, if it is in fact the rifle, give Smith a call.

Put some electrical tape on the mag or a target hole cover sticky that comes with the targets.

You should be numbering your mags anyway. I know it's just a .22 but it is still a weapon may be used as such for all you know. And when a kid says, "Wow! That's cool!" and you hand it to him you don't want to hand him the bad mag.

I was thinking about buying one of these. Oddly enough, I have an M&P .22 pistol and have the same issues with it. I've tried two types of Winchester super x and something else with nothing but problems. But, it loves every round of Remington golden bullets I feed it. Annoyed I can't buy whatever's cheapest, but at least I've found something it likes.

Put some electrical tape on the mag or a target hole cover sticky that comes with the targets.

You should be numbering your mags anyway. I know it's just a .22 but it is still a weapon may be used as such for all you know. And when a kid says, "Wow! That's cool!" and you hand it to him you don't want to hand him the bad mag.

I hate to go off topic, but why number the mag's? (unless you mean to keep track if you are in a firefight as to how much ammo you are burning through)

And yeah, i need to mark it; using the target hole cover's is a good idea. I'll probably do that next time so i can put it off to the side in the random gun stuff junk drawer, haha.

Oh, haha.

I generally only mark stuff that my buddy and i both have... We have the same bows, the same AR (and therefore same mags) so those are either customized so that we can differentiate or marked somehow. As stated, i only have 4 mag's, so as of right now there's no real need to number, but i'm probably going to do so with some paint markers or something now that i am starting to accumulate and stockpile stuff.
I'm just hoping they don't introduce 10rd mag limit's as soon as i accumulate 20+ 15rd mag's :/

I was thinking about buying one of these. Oddly enough, I have an M&P .22 pistol and have the same issues with it. I've tried two types of Winchester super x and something else with nothing but problems. But, it loves every round of Remington golden bullets I feed it. Annoyed I can't buy whatever's cheapest, but at least I've found something it likes.

They love mini mags also, Mine won't eat any federal ammo

I have owned my M&P 15/22 for approx 2 years. Have been to the range six times and fired a total of 2200 rounds thru it; as many as 550 in a single range session.  Overall, I have been very satisfied with the performance of the gun and am very happy with it.  Ammo has included: 1) CCI-Std Velocity, 2) Remington Viper - Hyper Velocity, 3) Remington Golden Bullet - High Velocity Hollow Point, 4) Winchester Super Speed - Round Nose Copper Plated, 5) CCI MiniMag, 6) CCI Blazer #00021, 7) CCI Green Tag, and 8) Remington Golden Bullet - High Velocity Hollow Point (Bucket O' Bullets-New & Improved #1622B).   Of these, #8 the Remington Golden Bullets may not have been as reliable as the others.

Recommend, as others have said, that you try shooting exclusively with CCI Mini-Mags and CCI AR Tactical(designed with the 15/22 in mind) and baseline the reliability of your gun with those.  If proven reliable with these, then you can try other brands and types to see what else your gun does or does not like.

p.s. if you are using the long mags, recommend you not rest the gun on it when shooting from the bench. (Don't know whether you are or aren't, but worthwhile eliminating that as a factor.)  Being limited to 15 rounds here in NJ, I use the short 10 round mags.

Thanks for all the insight ! It's fun to shoot when it cooperates so I'm not surprised that you go thru 500 rounds in a day, I can't wait to do the same..

I was using long mags (25's pinned to 15 & 10) don't think I was resting it tho. I have ordered some short ones tho because the long is annoying at times..and just to try them also.

Oh, haha.

I generally only mark stuff that my buddy and i both have... We have the same bows, the same AR (and therefore same mags) so those are either customized so that we can differentiate or marked somehow. As stated, i only have 4 mag's, so as of right now there's no real need to number, but i'm probably going to do so with some paint markers or something now that i am starting to accumulate and stockpile stuff.

I'm just hoping they don't introduce 10rd mag limit's as soon as i accumulate 20+ 15rd mag's :/

Numbering the magazines allows you to track any issues. If you're having a fail to feed issue, you can determine if it's always the same magazine, or multiple that are having the FTF.

Fixed it for you.

Sorry, pedantic I know, but it is a pet peeve.

Haha all good..fast typing, please correct me any time..I can take it if I'm wrong and always willing to learn if it's something I don't know.

This look normal ? Should the ejector pin be tight to the bolt like it is? Or should there be a small gap between the 2 ?

FD30882E-EBE1-455D-9C08-3E8D6BCB824B_zps

0F6F249B-30F0-43D0-BBF5-2DC721B20ABF_zps

78CE2329-7743-4A71-9DE6-96768167D963_zps