Lambo2936

Anyone else's safe just too small?

It's not. Trying to claim a loss under inexplicable circumstances is called insurance fraud.

On land or on sea.

You're making the example too specific. I'm just pointing out that the NRA policy doesn't leave a huge net to deny you.

Clearly I'm not advocating insurance fraud.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

Clearly I'm not advocating insurance fraud.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

Never thought you were. I'm just relaying my experience with insurance companies.

Read the policies and buy what you're comfortable with.

Like BLF I have upgraded to a room now lets see how long it takes to fill. I'm sure BLF will win the fill the gun room race.

Are these rooms secure? Its been my life goal to have a gun vault in my basement. I could certainly justify it with the amount of ammo, reloading supplies, guns, gear hunting equipment and so on. Would be nice to have it all locked down in one place opposed to literally scattered throughout the house.

Are these rooms secure? Its been my life goal to have a gun vault in my basement. I could certainly justify it with the amount of ammo, reloading supplies, guns, gear hunting equipment and so on. Would be nice to have it all locked down in one place opposed to literally scattered throughout the house.

I had a cheap safe so the locked room is just as secure as my safe. With that said I am in the process of fortifying the walls, they are already fire resistant but I want to make it harder to break a hole through the wall. I got a bullet resistant door and the door frame for it from a bank that was being renovated. The other two walls are masonary basement walls. So they are good to go. Cealing is fire resistant also, but I'm not sure how to fortify it without to much weight

And yeah its not just a gun room. It's my man cave I guess. Hunting, fishing, shooting, reloading, snowboarding, hiking and camping gear room. It's really nice to have everything organized and easy to find quickly

Plywood on the roof. Would have to use a circular saw to plunge cut through it to get thru, and would be a PITA with the clearance between the joists, nevermind that they'd have to get through the floor as well. Downside is it's not really fireproof/resistant.

Plywood on the roof. Would have to use a circular saw to plunge cut through it to get thru, and would be a PITA with the clearance between the joists, nevermind that they'd have to get through the floor as well. Downside is it's not really fireproof/resistant.

Also, if i had to do something like that, i would definitely do heavy duty steel door with cinder block (Filled with concrete so they aren't hollow) walls. Can do rockboard on the ceiling so its fire resistant and somewhat strong, but that stuff is HEAVY.

Definitely a cool idea, but would need a damn good dehumidifier to keep stuff from rusting.

Chain saw, joists and all.

Also, if i had to do something like that, i would definitely do heavy duty steel door with cinder block (Filled with concrete so they aren't hollow) walls. Can do rockboard on the ceiling so its fire resistant and somewhat strong, but that stuff is HEAVY.

Definitely a cool idea, but would need a damn good dehumidifier to keep stuff from rusting.

I have a bullet resistant door from a bank, that's good enough for me. working on the walls now. Dura rock is already in place on ceiling. I monitor the humidity and dehumidify as needed but with good drainage and down spouts set up properly my basement is very dry.  

If someone shows up to rob your house knowing what they are up against (enough to know to bring along a chainsaw), nothing will help. I have an electric bosch jackhammer that will punch right thru concrete or cinderblock. Hell, a torch/metal saw to the door would do the trick.
I Think the idea is to keep your average joe shmoe showing up with a crow bar to steal a TV out. At least for me.

I have chainsaws, torches, saws ect all in my garage so they could use them. I also have personally seen a hole in a wall right net to a very secure door ,cut with a chainsaw by a neighborhood crackhead. He was not a professional just a junkie in need of cash.

In my view all these measures are fine, and I use some of them myself. But without a good monitored alarm system the objective is missed. Given enough time anything is vulnerable, even a T-30 rated commercial safe or bank vault. The point of doors, locks, walls, safes etc. is to keep out the amateurs and slow down the professionals until LE arrives.

Security is an illusion.

• Like 1

^Precisely. If they are given that much time, you've already failed. They'll get in one way or another. IMO beefing up doors and such is just a deterrent for those looking for an easy hit. Someone determined enough, however, WILL get through.. I know this from working in Newark. Have had crackheads break into the building by RAMMING THROUGH the freakin fire door. Also had them pry up and then jack up the front gate on a main road (Clinton Ave)...
If they are desperate enough, they'll get in...

Best thing you can do is make them work for it. Make that your main goal. One of the things I use to do is investigate B&Es... I've seen some crazy shite. One that comes to mind is a couple of guys broke into a jewelry store through the ceiling. Dropped tools and themselves down without tripping the alarm. Used some sort of diamond hole saw, drilled a 5" hole into the top of a safe, reached in and grabbed the money and jewelry. Right out of a movie scene.

I know we are talking about our homes for the most part but if they want what you have, all they need is the right tools and time. Emphasis on time.

This was a semi-professional hit. The common thief won't go that far. Most of these are inside jobs where someone tipped off someone else. This is exactly the reason I very rarely show my safe or shite to people I really don't know. Or a friend of a friend if you know what I mean. My wife has explicit orders to never take anyone into the safe area without my permission. She made the mistake of doing it once and she knows better now. Lest to say, I raised shingles.

Moral of the story, make them work hard. Really hard. You will raise your odds that they will either give up or get caught.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Saw something similar, where some folks broke into a warehouse by cutting a hole in the roof and rappelling from there up in Newark. No idea where they got the skill necessary to think of and do that, but my understanding is they got away with quite a bit of inventory. Fortunately my father's property is solid brick/concrete, only weak points are the metal roll up gates/doors.

So, ended up going to home depot and getting 2 (will need more) of the 16" black husky plastic tool boxes for like 7$ each. I fit over 1000 rds of .223 in one and while it IS heavy as hell, the handle and box are holding up fine. Threw a lock on it and put it on the safe. Works for me! Ill probably pick up 2 more, the 22lr didnt fit in the 2 i got and i want quite a bit more 12g, 22, 3006, and 223, plus soon hopefully a 9mm and 308 which means at least 1 more box fulla ammo :D

Forget about the safes... I want to see what the hell is under those to keep them from going through the floor!
What the heck do you have in there?! I think i see THREE of them, each about the size of my darn house.

Oh, wait, is that like a single huge double door safe? That'd be cool.

A single case of ammo or a can of ammo can routinely cost as much as a Glock - or even a Kimber for certain ammo. Yeah, I have the majority of my ammo locked up. And, of course, security systems. Consider supplemental firearm insurance as well.

A single case of ammo or a can of ammo can routinely cost as much as a Glock - or even a Kimber for certain ammo. Yeah, I have the majority of my ammo locked up. And, of course, security systems. Consider supplemental firearm insurance as well.

Wish my safe was big enough to fit the ammo. I much prefer to have everything secure in a safe and nicely organized rather than packed into plastic containers with dinky padlocks on them. Unfortunately, in my current home there is simply no space for that. I'm hoping in the future my current safe will get shelves put in and become just a big ammo safe, and then i'll get something larger for strictly firearm storage. That'd be cool.