Ricky_Bobby

Slightly Different - Build or Buy "Budget" AR-15 in the $700 range

"There is a big difference between good glass and cheap glass. There is a smaller gap between good glass and top of the line glass. There is a HUGE gap between the top of the line stuff and bottom end glass"

We agree on that part. This part though

"there is plenty of info on the Net from actual experiences" are they all "actual?" This is the Internet after all.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

"There is a big difference between good glass and cheap glass. There is a smaller gap between good glass and top of the line glass. There is a HUGE gap between the top of the line stuff and bottom end glass"

We agree on that part. This part though

"there is plenty of info on the Net from actual experiences" are they all "actual?" This is the Internet after all.

Agreed, that while some opinions are legit, some opinions might be crap, on the Interwebz. More importantly, what i was saying, is that above a range toy, ive never seen or heard of Barska being considered.

While I don't believe that everyone needs to rush out and buy an ACOG, or other high end optic, I do think that good quality optics are important.

There are good quality optics out there for a good price point. Barska never made my list of great value for the dollar, but I've never used the optic you are using. It may suit your purpose perfectly. Because my carbines are thrown in and out of pickup trucks, and otherwise beaten around while on ranch duty, I chose something that can take the abuse. ACOG for me, thank you, but not everyone has the same requirements as I.

While I don't believe that everyone needs to rush out and buy an ACOG, or other high end optic, I do think that good quality optics are important.

There are good quality optics out there for a good price point. Barska never made my list of great value for the dollar, but I've never used the optic you are using. It may suit your purpose perfectly. Because my carbines are thrown in and out of pickup trucks, and otherwise beaten around while on ranch duty, I chose something that can take the abuse. ACOG for me, thank you, but not everyone has the same requirements as I.

They are indeed. I've been issued ACOG and M68 CCO. The M68 did improve our unit's ability to hit something and qualify (we did have those people), The ACOG while a better sight, didn't. Some people just couldn't hit something with magnified optics after being used to irons and M68. Point is, while I am biased towards an optic that has the ability to hit a coin repeatedly in an indoor range, what defines a "good optic" is largely subjective, with very few exceptions.

They are indeed. I've been issued ACOG and M68 CCO. The M68 did improve our unit's ability to hit something and qualify (we did have those people), The ACOG while a better sight, didn't. Some people just couldn't hit something with magnified optics after being used to irons and M68. Point is, while I am biased towards an optic that has the ability to hit a coin repeatedly in an indoor range, what defines a "good optic" is largely subjective, with very few exceptions.

I disagree with the premise that 'what defines a good optic is largely subjective'. There are plenty of metrics to measure the difference between good glass, and not so good glass. Light transmission factors, parallax errors, optical clarity, ect. Not to mention, (with electronic sights), quality of electronics, shock rating, water resistance, all types of factors. Turret tracking....you name it.

What IS subjective, is what is good enough for YOU and your intended purpose. A range toy has different requirements than a SWAT team members rifle. What's your 'mission', your requirements, and your budget?

There are many differences between 'good glass', and 'not so good glass', the question is, what's good enough for your needs, and your budget.

Nice scope, isn't that more biased towards longer range engagement?

Make sure you get something you like the first time. Bought a sig m400 for over 1200$ after nics, taxes, etc. only to pick up a really nice DD a few months later off a member on here... Paid less for it, but performs much better IMO. Haven't put enough rounds through it (only 100 or so so far) to see if its reliable or accurate, but the recoil seems to be much, much more controllable for a small guy such as myself with the comp and all on there..

The Sig may become a safe queen, or, get traded for a new toy.

The MP Sports are great entry level AR's. You get what you pay for, but you wont be able to build anything comparable for the price. Definitely a good place to start, and you can do what i did and swap out grips, handguard, etc. to make it your own. I Threw FDE grip and handguard and probably going to do the stock too on the Sig.

Generally speaking, i'd say build your own, but you won't really be able to build anything nice for the price point you're looking at. Honestly, if you don't mind picking up a lightly used rifle, i'd probably just keep an eye out on gunbroker, armslist, and this forum for a good deal on a rifle. I Got a new Daniel Defense rifle that was sitting in a safe for a while but was never fired, in still new condition with original case and papers and all for 60-70% of its original MSRP. Plus, didn't have to do any compliance work, pay for any ffl, etc... not the deal of a lifetime, but i wish i waited and got this instead of buying the sig originally. I'd have spent the 1200 on some type of 308 AR or something of the sort.

Best post yet IMO and I agree - as I'm looking after building entry level plus compliance work etc I'll surpass the big 2 I mentioned. I will be buying entry level for my first to learn, love, and shoot the platform, sure I could put different furniture if I wanted or some little things etc - but you make a good point looking for used higher end rifles at the same price point - will keep that in mind - most likely going to go with the Ruger first time around just to get a foot in the door as far as learning the AR is concerned, ticks all my boxes and maybe I can add a muzzle brake affordably even if I buy the compliant version out of the box - great thread and opinions!

FYI - Steve @ Monmouth Arms sent out email blast about a week ago saying he had recd a special price / discount from distributor on Ruger AR. $590 plus tax and NICS.

If you haven't purchased one yet I would call him to to see if he has any left.

I still think you should build lower and buy complete upper. Should be some good sales with holidays (Memorial Day, 4th July) coming up.

$590 is hard to argue with though.

^Agreed I did get his email and at that price its no contest for sure :) - The wife and I are hammering out the details of when we are moving and getting our house on the market etc, most likely going south in the next year - so I am probably shelving the idea for a little while as I'd rather get the regular "rest of USA" version if I move to a real state lol - For now I'll stay stocked up on pump actions and handguns in this election year :)

Heres a question - I'm not a huge guy @ 5'7" and probably would like my stock pinned a bit shorter than seen fully extended on the "compliant" S&W/AR for sale - to the guys who own them, were you able to have your FFL re-pin the factory stock to a different length if you didn't like it out of the box?

Steve also has the Colt in stock which I think is adjusted by him so if the S&W/Ruger aren't easily re-fixed I would definitely look into that model as well.

Depends on the stock - the S&W Compliant stocks are really not adjustable.  They have a weird compliant-length buffer tube IIRC.  You could always replace the buffer tube and stock and pin it in a position you like then pop it on the rifle...

• Like 2

^That's kind of what I was afraid of but yeah I guess you could get someone's "take off" of a regular stock/buffer tube and have it pinned and replace - or just go aftermarket.

I have T-Rex syndrome which is why I asked - I have a Hogue 12" LOP stock on my Mossy 500

• Like 1

^That's kind of what I was afraid of but yeah I guess you could get someone's "take off" of a regular stock/buffer tube and have it pinned and replace - or just go aftermarket.

I have T-Rex syndrome which is why I asked - I have a Hogue 12" LOP stock on my Mossy 500

T-Rex syndrome.....lol! I suffer from the same. I'm stealing this. Lol.

• Like 1

T-Rex syndrome.....lol! I suffer from the same. I'm stealing this. Lol.

Glad to help LOL - Been called that for years since I always was pretty built in the gym and I'm only 5'7" - my buddies used to say I could lift more than them because my arms didn't have to travel as much on bench press haha!

I have the NJ compliant S&W, bought at Cabela's, BTW. I like a little shorter LOP for HD use. I bought a mil-spec carbine buffer tube and the Magpul MOE fixed stock. It's about 1/2 -3/4" shorter than the pinned factory setup. They also sell a 1/2" extension to give you some flexibility.

Cost me about $45 for the pair, with no need to pay anyone just to do the tube swap. And if I ever sell the rifle I can just slap the factory buffer tube with pinned stock back on.

This is the stock I have on mine...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2319195903/magpul-stock-moe-fcs-fixed-carbine-ar-15-lr-308-carbine-synthetic

I paid $600. I was there picking up ammo and they just happened to have them in stock. The wife wasn't too pleased with the impulse buy, but I am.

^Thanks!  The wife will get over it when she knows how well protected she is :) even my wife nowadays doesn't really bat her eyes much with ammo or more firearms purchases when she watches the idiotic shit that people spew on the news every day - she even told me that the AR isn't her style of rifle but if the government doesn't want her to have it then she probably should get one

^Thanks!  The wife will get over it when she knows how well protected she is :) even my wife nowadays doesn't really bat her eyes much with ammo or more firearms purchases when she watches the idiotic shit that people spew on the news every day - she even told me that the AR isn't her style of rifle but if the government doesn't want her to have it then she probably should get one

Just build her a Pink one...

dIRAPo9.jpg