Sign in to follow this  
Lambo2936

Anyone Familiar with OH, MI, IN, their gun laws, etc?

Place i used to buy inventory from moved to Indiana a few months ago. Thinking of moving out there as id rather run my odds there than sit here waiting on a decent job opportunity. One of few things im looking into, other than schools for my daughter, is carry (with a permit is fine) and some more relaxed gun laws than here. Im not familiar with the states but was wondering if anyone knows how they are doing; are any of them at risk of stricter laws such as here in NJ? I know MI has carry, what about the other two?

I have to look into taxes in each state, gas prices, insurance costs and overall land/home prices though i can work in the boonies and not have to really worry too much about that as i can work out of my home or storage units or a barn or whatever for now. Anything else to look into? Which would you guys pick? I think they were in the plainfield area and id be willing to drive a few hrs to get there, but the closer to NJ the better, as well, as i'll be visiting often so that my daughter knows her grandparents (mine passed/lived in Israel so i didnt really get to know them).

Thanks

Just about anywhere has good gun laws compared to NJ. Without looking, the 3 states you list all have easy to get carry permits and IN has open carry IIRC. Don't think any of those states have magazine restrictions or "assault gun" laws.

You really need to research the gun laws in those states to see which one is best for you.

Thanks guys.

I used the nra website to get a brief overview of all 3. Im happy with 30rd mags and OC. My primary concern was moving to a state that is dem controlled and may lose, say, CC a few years after i move there. Just wondering if anyone knows the current political climate in the area.

I think i have it narrowed down to Indiana or Ohio, michigan seems to be a bit further. I'd either be west Ohio by the border or northern Indiana, i think, unless someone can point me elsewhere for some reason.
Indiana has a 7% sales tax like here in NJ, while its only 5.75% in Ohio. Only issue is, if i lived in Ohio and got my business license there, my tax exemption on purchases for resale wouldn't work out of state, would it? Not sure how it works, it was never an issue as the damn warehouse was IN NJ.

i lived in Ohio for 28 years and the laws there are fantastic compared to NJ.  You can get NFA items, no mag limits and pretty much everything goes.   The laws are great and there are only a few issues left.  It used to be a loaded magazine meant the gun was loaded.   I.E. You could have a mag in the glove box, a gun locked in the trunk and if you weren't transporting properly, that's a loaded gun. They've repealed that.

Open carry is fine in Ohio and in fact that was the only way to carry until 2004.  You used to have to have it holstered on the seat.

Few people carry open anywhere but I've seen it.  If you open carry in any of the cities, expect a stop from the cops, but they will generally let you go if you're not a problem.

You have a duty to inform the police if you are carrying in your car and you are stopped for any reason.

Vastly better than NJ, not quite as good as Arizona.

I was out in Columbus Ohio house hunting with the family last week. Beautiful place. The only downside (if you have kids) is the kids in NJ go to school from about Sept 8th to the end if June, in Ohio it's August 8th to end of May. That forces me to move my timeline up and leaves the kids with about 5 weeks of summer.

I have a 10 month old, so that isnt really much of an issue though when visiting in the summer that can get annoying, haha.

I have to keep an eye out over there and decide where i want to live as it has to be close to Plainfield IN. So either OH by the border or northern IN

I have a 10 month old, so that isnt really much of an issue though when visiting in the summer that can get annoying, haha.

I have to keep an eye out over there and decide where i want to live as it has to be close to Plainfield IN. So either OH by the border or northern IN

I lived in Toledo burbs back in the late 80's. Everybody had guns. School would delayed for fog. Fog so thick you couldn't see 3 feet

Ohio or Indiana I think you are fine, both lean conservative. Indiana even more so than Ohio, mainly due to all the cities Ohio has, especially Cleveland ruins the state. Michigan other than being further away there are plenty of Dems in the Southern Half of the State that try to ruin it for the rest. If the UP could secede then I would say move there, but that likely will not happen. So Michigan would be out for me.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

As a Michigan native, I'll share...

OC is legal and practiced in the rural and suburban areas.  We just fixed our CC laws and removed the county boards...no it's all handled by the State police, and we don't have a "justifiable need" like NJ.  Some laws are frustrating, such as certain Gun Free Zones, unless you have a CPL - which then allows you to OC.

One big plus of Michigan CCW (we call it CPL) is that PA recognizes it.  Actually Michigan CPL is recognized by 40 states, though technically 41 since you can CC in a vehicle while traveling through Illinois.

Just saw your comment. Thanks for sharing!

I know there are plenty of dems especially in the areas ive been looking. Most of the wifes family are very very far left dems who openly talk smack about the other half. One of her married in Uncles is a republican so at least he and i both have an ally now.... hes big on hunting and the likes. How he ended up in that mix is beyond me, haha.