Sign in to follow this  
Zeke

Umm, snow on Friday?

Just came back from a week in Lake Tahoe. I can't ever complain about Jersey snow again. Tahoe got 4 feet the first weekend we were there - Route 80 closed through the Donner pass to the NV border, snow piled 8,9,10 FEET high on the sides of the roads - was like driving through canyons everywhere.

And the locals just went on about their lives. No drama at the supermarkets, the schools only closed for 1 day. Snow was actually too deep to ski and snowmobiling was a challenge.

In Jersey if that happened here we'd still be under a state of emergency and Christie would still be in Florida...

Christie would have helicopters spraying it with cherry syrup and he would eat all the snow.

What you using to hunt the pigs. My mom is buying a place in FL and I have access to 7k acres to hunt pigs on. I'm debating between a 300blk and 458socom AR.

We have always used 5.56mm. Head shots. One stop shots out to 100 yards, never shot beyond that.

We have always used 5.56mm. Head shots. One stop shots out to 100 yards, never shot beyond that.

the shots on this property are short. It's like a jungle for most of it. Shots are 50 yards or less. In the past I've used a .44mag and a 25.06. The 25.06 was a bit overkill for that short of a shot. Lol. I do go for head shots too though. It is basically impossible to find one that runs off and dies without a dog and a machete and you have to bush wack through palmetto and bamboo thickets. Not to mention the huge eastern diamondbacks that are plentiful on the property. Maybe I'll just throw a scope on my 5.56 upper and call it a day.

What you using to hunt the pigs. My mom is buying a place in FL and I have access to 7k acres to hunt pigs on. I'm debating between a 300blk and 458socom AR.

The 300 BLK with the proper bullet will do the job nicely, especially on smaller pigs.  The 458S "Hammer of Thor"  will drop their a$$ on the spot. If you do not reload the 300BLK will be the better choice.   Retail 458S is just so expensive.  When we go we use the 300BLK the most, both in AR format and bolt action.  You can choose from 125 grain up to 220 grain heads, but have to remember distances and bullet drop.  In the 458S use the Hornady 325FTX head that is handloaded.  Works very well on the larger beasts.  

I do reload and I do have a bunch of 5.56 brass so I'm kinda leaning towards the 300blk. Most of my friends down there hunt with suppressed 300blk so I could get the right brake and borrow one of their suppressors. But "the hammer of thor" just sounds so bad ass lol. I do have a strange obsession with the 45-70 round and 458 is like a 45-70 out of an AR. I'll probably end up with both. I find out next week if she is buying the place or not.

Despite what people think, pigs aren't that hard to kill. Don't overthink it. Shot placement is everything.

A lot of the ranchers out here shoot them at short range (25 yards) with 22lr.

We have always used 5.56 AR's. I use a Colt 6944 with an ACOG. Nothing special for bullet...we use Federal M193.

One shot kills with head shots. Largest hog I ever killed was in the 300 lb class.

We have thick brush and rattlesnakes all over the place out here too. We never had to go bushwhacking for one we shot. They drop on the spot.

We usually only eat small pigs, under 100lbs. Too gamy and nasty otherwise.

This is an eradication trip. Not a meat hunt.

I do reload and I do have a bunch of 5.56 brass so I'm kinda leaning towards the 300blk. Most of my friends down there hunt with suppressed 300blk so I could get the right brake and borrow one of their suppressors. But "the hammer of thor" just sounds so bad ass lol. I do have a strange obsession with the 45-70 round and 458 is like a 45-70 out of an AR. I'll probably end up with both. I find out next week if she is buying the place or not.

I would be careful about "borrowing" a silencer unless your friend is standing right next to you the entire time. It's 10 years in federal PMITA prison for both of you.

Hopefully we can be rid of that nonsense this year.

Saw a LOT of hot sign, but haven't seen a pig yet. They are nocturnal now.

We found a big antler shed from a 10pt buck.

Saw a big bobcat near the house last night as we were driving back from town.

To keep this thread on track, it is currently 60 degrees and breezy. It will be in the upper 80's later. We are hiking the ridge later today. Will post pics.

Good luck with the hogs. I'm lazy when I hunt hogs. We hunt corn feeders that are on timers. The pigs come in twice a day like clockwork. Very cool about the bobcat, I've only seen one in the wild in the mountains of VA.

I've never seen a bobcat in the wild.

Never seen a panther, either. No, not the notorious Jersey Panther, real ones. They stay deep, deep in the jungle and avoid people like the plague unless they have a food issue or are injured. They are very stealthy.

I have seen quite a few bobcats out here. Pretty sure this is his track. Same path he was walking on when we saw him last night.

He was walking up the road in front of the house. Followed his tracks for about 1/4 mile.

**cell signal isn't good enough to upload pics. Will attach when I get into town.

Walked to the windmill to turn it on, jumped 2 deer, saw a pretty large gobbler turkey, and kicked up a piglet.

The pig was FAST! Gone before I could raise my rifle!!

I've never seen a bobcat in the wild.

Never seen a panther, either. No, not the notorious Jersey Panther, real ones. They stay deep, deep in the jungle and avoid people like the plague unless they have a food issue or are injured. They are very stealthy.

I'm more worried about the Jersey Cougars. Luckily I think I'm safe as long as I stay clear of Redstone Grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1