sroc112

Help with permit expiration

I'm going to say no, unless you get an extension. Aren't the permits good for 90 days? June 29 is the 90th day due to 31 days in May. If issued April 1 you would be fine because June 30 would be the 90th day.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

If we didn't live in a moron state, they would probably put an expiration date instead of an issue date on them so this would be crystal clear. It works with milk cartons.

It almost makes me think they hope people accidentally use expired permits so they can jam them up.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Handyman said:

If we didn't live in a moron state, they would probably put an expiration date instead of an issue date on them so this would be crystal clear. It works with milk cartons.

It almost makes me think they hope people accidentally use expired permits so they can jam them up.

Is it possible its too complicated to interpret the 90 day rule to accurately calculate the expiration date ? :peep:

3 hours ago, jackandjill said:

Is it possible its too complicated to interpret the 90 day rule to accurately calculate the expiration date ? :peep:

No. But here's the question. Is the issue date Day 0, or Day 1? Of 90.

The conservative answer is 0. The daring answer is 1. The statute in this case is more ambiguous, unlike the statute for OGAM. Underline mine.

"N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.7

(b) A permit to purchase a handgun shall be valid for a period of 90 days from the date of issuance and may be renewed by the issuing authority for good cause for an additional 90 days. In no event shall a permit to purchase a handgun be valid for more than 180 days from the date the permit was originally issued."

9 hours ago, Handyman said:

The current version of permits does have both issue and expiration dates. If the permits your town is issuing doesn't have expiration dates, they are still working through a batch of older permits.

As a side note: double check the expiration date on the permit, I've seen permits with an expiration date that was wrong. The town had simply used the date that was exactly six months later (182 or 183 days later) rather than figuring out what date 180 days would be.

11 minutes ago, Oakridgefirearms said:

The current version of permits does have both issue and expiration dates. If the permits your town is issuing doesn't have expiration dates, they are still working through a batch of older permits.

As a side note: double check the expiration date on the permit, I've seen permits with an expiration date that was wrong. The town had simply used the date that was exactly six months later (182 or 183 days later) rather than figuring out what date 180 days would be.

I can vouch for that # of days issue. Remember Tom, I got the beretta from you. Now I always check. 

No. But here's the question. Is the issue date Day 0, or Day 1? Of 90.
The conservative answer is 0. The daring answer is 1. The statute in this case is more ambiguous, unlike the statute for OGAM. Underline mine.
"N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.7
(b) A permit to purchase a handgun shall be valid for a period of 90 days from the date of issuance and may be renewed by the issuing authority for good cause for an additional 90 days. In no event shall a permit to purchase a handgun be valid for more than 180 days from the date the permit was originally issued."

X

Issue date is day zero. 90 days from the date of issue. If issued on the 1st one day from the first is the 2nd.

If you counted the issue date as day 1 you would be screwing yourself out of a day.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk