jackandjill

Help - 2006 Odyssey - No heat unless moving

I am hoping someone here has insight into these things. 2006 Odyssey with weird situation.  Cold air blows through vents and all, but no heat. But here is the kicker. 
Air gets hot within 5 minutes of vehicle moving on the road.  If I pull the vehicle to the side or vehicle slows down, the hot air becomes cold.

Any insights into whats happening ? Appreciate it. 

Check your coolant levels, if it's good then you may have a clogged heater core or a clog in the coolant circuit.  When the engine is revving, it provides more pressure so that may explain why heat is on only when moving.  It could also be air in the system.  There's a way to bleed it out but I'm not sure how on your odyssey.

It's possible your heater control valve is stuck partially open and when you're revving the engine while driving, water pushes through the valve, at idle, it holds the water off.

That'd be my first guess.   Other than that, there's maybe something going on with your blend door.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jackandjill said:

I am hoping someone here has insight into these things. 2006 Odyssey with weird situation.  Cold air blows through vents and all, but no heat. But here is the kicker. 
Air gets hot within 5 minutes of vehicle moving on the road.  If I pull the vehicle to the side or vehicle slows down, the hot air becomes cold.

Any insights into whats happening ? Appreciate it. 

On Fresh air or recirculated?

Just now, Zeke said:

Idk, easy be thermostat stuck open?

If the thermo was stuck open, it would take forever to heat up.

When was the last time you serviced the cooling system, i.e flush and fill or even just checked the levels?

Just now, Scorpio64 said:

If the thermo was stuck open, it would take forever to heat up.

When was the last time you serviced the cooling system, i.e flush and fill or even just checked the levels?

But the water pump is tied to Rpm’s. And if you ant pumping to heater core...

1 minute ago, jackandjill said:

So how does this generally work ? 

Is the hot coolant from engine redirected to heater core instead of radiator ?   If so, what the cooling system or its levels  got to do with this ? 

How do you cool an engine?

antifreeze/coolant runs through the radiator the engine and the heater core if heat is turned on.  It is prevented from moving through the circuit by a thermostat, that is actually a heat activated valve, when the engine is cold.  There is also a reservoir that holds "extra" coolant.  That is where you can check the coolant level by eyeballing it.  When the coolant heats up it expands and some of it may bleed off into the reservoir, that's normal.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Yeah but he gets hot then not... big bore bikes would over heat in tight stuff cause revs aren’t high... fluid dynamics 

@carl_g

My money is on air in the system or a clog in the system.  Needs to start with checking coolant level.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

One of the actual experts should be along shortly. #3 should really be #1.

Just now, Zeke said:

Lol!

Well, it's true.  I'm just basing my guesses from my own experiences.  There are bunches of other things that could be the problem that only an expert can diagnose.  (but i'm probably still right :D )

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Well, it's true.  I'm just basing my guesses from my own experiences.  There are bunches of other things that could be the problem that only an expert can diagnose.  (but i'm probably still right :D )

Full! Full forensic report is required to settle this!