louu

20 second call to pardon an American

Short read,

Call Christe's office and ask him to pardon Megan Fellenbaum 609-292-6000 it will only take you 20 seconds. She is from America and got stopped on this side of the wall with a gun so now she goes to prison. 

Long read from the NJ2AS email 

Well... here we go again! New Jersey’s draconian gun laws and overzealous prosecutors have once again entrapped an innocent Pennsylvanian woman.

Meg.jpg

Meg Fellenbaum - apparently a danger to society in New Jersey, but not Pennsylvania - allegedly committed the horrific crime of having her firearms locked in the truck of her car while driving to pick up her girlfriend. However shocking this may be to anti-Second Amendment activists, no one was victimized by Meg's actions.

Despite not posing any threat - after a year of terror inflicted upon her by New Jersey’s (in)justice system, prosecutors successfully broke Meg down and frightened her into accepting a plea deal of one year in prison (instead of facing trial and up to 13+ years in prison if she did not accept the plea deal).

I wish we were making this up, but this is New Jersey... Without going into all the details and injustices with her case (some of which we've already addressed in previous stories) we are requesting everyone call Governor Christie to urge him to pardon her before he leaves office.

Please call and/or write to Governor Christie:
Office of the Governor
PO Box 001
Trenton, NJ 08625

We will be calling every day until she is pardoned; we ask you stand with us and make a simple call, too, or write a letter regarding this terrible injustice. We have gotten to know Meg Fellenbaum over the past year and we cannot think of a better example of someone who has been entrapped by New Jersey’s ridiculous laws that seek to criminalize honest Americans!

Once again, we ask that you call and write every day until she is pardoned by Gov. Christie. This madness needs to stop!

New Jersey Second Amendment Society
http://www.nj2as.org/

Just now, 1LtCAP said:

is there more on this? why did she get locked up if they were locked in her trunk?

I was thinking the same exact thing... plus, I'd have expected she was protected under FOPA as well re: transportation

I don't know any details but transporting a handgun is illegal in NJ - even locked in the trunk.  FOPA protects you if you travel from a place where you can possess a firearm to a place where you can possess a firearm - so no good if coming into NJ.

I thought the name sounded familiar - this was the case from some months ago - the lesbian woman that was pulled over in Warren County when she pulled over to text on her phone and the officer says there was a bullet in plain view in the car... and it all got weirder from there. Apparently, that saga is still going on. Only in Joisey! Here's some background at this link: https://www.ammoland.com/2016/11/lgbtq-woman-arrested-denied-lawyer-feminine-hygine-products-legal-firearms/#axzz51q2CHLrl

17 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I thought the name sounded familiar - this was the case from some months ago - the lesbian woman that was pulled over in Warren County when she pulled over to text on her phone and the officer says there was a bullet in plain view in the car... and it all got weirder from there. Apparently, that saga is still going on. Only in Joisey! Here's some background at this link: https://www.ammoland.com/2016/11/lgbtq-woman-arrested-denied-lawyer-feminine-hygine-products-legal-firearms/#axzz51q2CHLrl

by reading that, she should've been covered, as she was transporting from where she could possess to where she could possess(her second residence). where it sounds like things went south was  :::::::::::::

on her back seat floor and asked if she was carrying a firearm at the time. She replied “No.” Since she was not carrying a firearm on her at the time, ::::::::::::::::::

if he said "carrying" and meant "is there a gun onboard the vehicle" then he's viewing that as she lied to him. did he have a body camera on at the time? need to hear/see that.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

by reading that, she should've been covered, as she was transporting from where she could possess to where she could possess(her second residence). where it sounds like things went south was  :::::::::::::

on her back seat floor and asked if she was carrying a firearm at the time. She replied “No.” Since she was not carrying a firearm on her at the time, ::::::::::::::::::

if he said "carrying" and meant "is there a gun onboard the vehicle" then he's viewing that as she lied to him. did he have a body camera on at the time? need to hear/see that.

There are too many questions in this case AFAIC.

If she was going from one residence to another she was covered.  That's something any half as defense attorney could have used to have the case dismissed way before a trial.  She took a plea?  That means admitting she did it and no appeals.  Why take a plea when you have a slam dunk defense?

The story about the Trooper seizing the car without arresting her doesn't sound right.

The only place I've seen this story is on "gun news" websites.  I'm sure it would be covered by others but there's nothing else 

After speaking to Mark Cheeseman yesterday about this subject, I asked him to contact Meg's lawyer to "fill-in the blanks".  He knows the lawyer since the same lawyer did some work for Mark.  Without pointing fingers, someone dropped the ball on this!  The lawyer was promised coverage that never happened.  So it fell-off EVERYBODY's radar screen!  I was able to find-out that the round rolling-around on the back seat floor was a hollow point, and her LOADED hand gun was "SECURED" in the vehicle's trunk.  Yes she had a PA "LTCF" like Shaneen Allen, however Meg's was up for renewal and inside the "grace period" prior to formal expiration.  At the time of the Stop, the date on her LTCF had come & gone.  The NJ Judge saw it as EXPIRED!  Neither the County Prosecutor or the Judge saw fit to offer PTI, even after the Shaneen Allen case yielded a 23 page document from the then AG Hoffman that recommended same!  Mark & I discussed other details about the case that he asked I not reveal.  These minute details don't "change the flavor" of this SHIT SHOW or affect the outcome OR OUR 2A COMMUNITY RESPONSE in ANY way!  Please take a minute to make a phone call & thanks from Mark & myself!  Here's Mark's Facebook story I ran yesterday:

IT'S TIME TO HELP MEG! CALL GOV. CHRISTIE'S OFFICE!
Black Wire Media story by Mark Cheeseman December 20, 2017 http://www.cnjfo.com

The clock is ticking fast on this one. Our new Governor gets sworn-in a few short weeks from now! Meg's story is real. It fell off the radar screen (we're not pointing blame here). She pleaded-out to a year in jail while looking at 10. All because of a hollow point bullet rolling around on the backseat floor of her car. A tragic case of INJUSTICE! Yet another Pennsylvania woman with a PA CCW license getting jammed-up by NJ's overbearing & overreaching gun laws! Please call the Governor's Office and ask for a full pardon for Meg Fellenbaum: 609-292-6000. Link to original story here:  see Mrs. Peel's link to ammoland story!

Thanks for reading!

Rosey, VP

CNJFO

• Like 3

THANKS FOR checking up on that.

but being the noodge i am........she should've still been covered under the exemptions for the hollowpoint rolling 'round. if that had been thrown out, since it was then not a reason to search, then she should've been off scot free. i bet they offered the plea, just to get a conviction, since they knew they really had nothing on her.

6 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

After speaking to Mark Cheeseman yesterday about this subject, I asked him to contact Meg's lawyer to "fill-in the blanks".  He knows the lawyer since the same lawyer did some work for Mark.  Without pointing fingers, someone dropped the ball on this!  The lawyer was promised coverage that never happened.  So it fell-off EVERYBODY's radar screen!  I was able to find-out that the round rolling-around on the back seat floor was a hollow point, and her LOADED hand gun was "SECURED" in the vehicle's trunk.  Yes she had a PA "LTCF" like Shaneen Allen, however Meg's was up for renewal and inside the "grace period" prior to formal expiration.  At the time of the Stop, the date on her LTCF had come & gone.  The NJ Judge saw it as EXPIRED!  Neither the County Prosecutor or the Judge saw fit to offer PTI, even after the Shaneen Allen case yielded a 23 page document from the then AG Hoffman that recommended same!  Mark & I discussed other details about the case that he asked I not reveal.  These minute details don't "change the flavor" of this SHIT SHOW or affect the outcome OR OUR 2A COMMUNITY RESPONSE in ANY way!  Please take a minute to make a phone call & thanks from Mark & myself!  Here's Mark's Facebook story I ran yesterday:

IT'S TIME TO HELP MEG! CALL GOV. CHRISTIE'S OFFICE!
Black Wire Media story by Mark Cheeseman December 20, 2017 http://www.cnjfo.com

The clock is ticking fast on this one. Our new Governor gets sworn-in a few short weeks from now! Meg's story is real. It fell off the radar screen (we're not pointing blame here). She pleaded-out to a year in jail while looking at 10. All because of a hollow point bullet rolling around on the backseat floor of her car. A tragic case of INJUSTICE! Yet another Pennsylvania woman with a PA CCW license getting jammed-up by NJ's overbearing & overreaching gun laws! Please call the Governor's Office and ask for a full pardon for Meg Fellenbaum: 609-292-6000. Link to original story here:  see Mrs. Peel's link to ammoland story!

Thanks for reading!

Rosey, VP

CNJFO

Thanks for following up on what Nj2as emailed out

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

but being the noodge i am........she should've still been covered under the exemptions for the hollowpoint rolling 'round. if that had been thrown out, since it was then not a reason to search, then she should've been off scot free. i bet they offered the plea, just to get a conviction, since they knew they really had nothing on her.

You're quite welcome. 

FWIW the stopping with a hollow point while transiting between houses & admitting same to the State Trooper might have made their case?  It goes back to Aitken's case where he was "moving" between 2 Jersey residences.  Well, there isn't a written exemption for THAT!  Believe it or not, as a NJ resident and hollow point user, I need to stop at a range (it can be a closed, commercial range at Zero Dark Thirty OR a private club w/ 24/7/365 access), jump-out & take a pic of my car with my phone so the meta data is recorded.  Then I can drive to residence #2 (or #13 if I'm a Zillionaire).  HP rounds can only be transported directly to & from an exempt location which includes house to range & back again.  So transiting between residences with HP isn't allowed.  When you move, you have to shoot them thru a gun at a range, mail them to yourself at the new residence address, OR visit a RANGE & then drive directly to the new residence.  Even Lou Nappen is still scratchin' his head on THAT one!  A non-resident has to travel under FOPA, which calls for all ammo to be secure & out of the passenger compartment (yes I know about SUV's & Pick-Ups too).  So, IMHO, no matter how ya slice this sh!t sandwich, she comes up on the short end of the stick!  A technical violation...

FWIW somewhere in this thread someone wrote that PA residents can't bring hand guns to NJ.  That is completely mistaken, as sanctioned pistol matches on club calendars are specifically exempted and thus allow out of state residents to participate.  It gets a little gray when everyone goes to the burger joint afterwards, but most would consider it a "reasonable deviation". 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JC_68Westy said:

I made a call.  I see no reason to found out "the rest of the story".  I will support any gun owner caught up by BS NJ gun laws.  It only took 15 seconds to make the call.

I called too. I agree, less typing more calling is always a good thing.

But for what it's worth, for people like me (at 2 years in, I still feel pretty "new"), I actually like hearing the specific reasons why someone got hung up legally, because it helps me understand the laws better. Let's face it, some of these laws make no damn sense - it's not like they're logical - in fact, it sometimes seems like all the holes in the laws were designed to confuse citizens, trip them up and land them in a cell. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I called too. I agree, less typing more calling is always a good thing.

But for what it's worth, for people like me (at 2 years in, I still feel pretty "new"), I actually like hearing the specific reasons why someone got hung up legally, because it helps me understand the laws better. Let's face it, some of these laws make no damn sense - it's not like they're logical - in fact, it sometimes seems like all the holes in the laws were designed to confuse citizens, trip them up and land them in a cell. 

It is a shame that a US citizen even has to worry about traveling with a tool into states like NJ and getting arrested for merely possessing.  Here in VA a non-CCW gun owner can ride with their loaded gun loaded on them in the car (on person, in glovebox, on seat, etc) and it is not a crime.  We also have Constitutional Open Carry.  I live out in the sticks so I see open carry a lot.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JC_68Westy said:

I made a call.  I see no reason to found out "the rest of the story".  I will support any gun owner caught up by BS NJ gun laws.  It only took 15 seconds to make the call.

This guy gets it.

All this shit was already discussed when it happened like a year ago on this very forum.

By the time everyone typed all that they could have called 5 times. Just call and if you feel proud post about it, no need to pick her apart or judge, all NJ gun laws are unconstitutional. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

8 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

You're quite welcome. 

FWIW the stopping with a hollow point while transiting between houses & admitting same to the State Trooper might have made their case?  It goes back to Aitken's case where he was "moving" between 2 Jersey residences.  Well, there isn't a written exemption for THAT!  Believe it or not, as a NJ resident and hollow point user, I need to stop at a range (it can be a closed, commercial range at Zero Dark Thirty OR a private club w/ 24/7/365 access), jump-out & take a pic of my car with my phone so the meta data is recorded.  Then I can drive to residence #2 (or #13 if I'm a Zillionaire).  HP rounds can only be transported directly to & from an exempt location which includes house to range & back again.  So transiting between residences with HP isn't allowed.  When you move, you have to shoot them thru a gun at a range, mail them to yourself at the new residence address, OR visit a RANGE & then drive directly to the new residence.  Even Lou Nappen is still scratchin' his head on THAT one!  A non-resident has to travel under FOPA, which calls for all ammo to be secure & out of the passenger compartment (yes I know about SUV's & Pick-Ups too).  So, IMHO, no matter how ya slice this sh!t sandwich, she comes up on the short end of the stick!  A technical violation...

FWIW somewhere in this thread someone wrote that PA residents can't bring hand guns to NJ.  That is completely mistaken, as sanctioned pistol matches on club calendars are specifically exempted and thus allow out of state residents to participate.  It gets a little gray when everyone goes to the burger joint afterwards, but most would consider it a "reasonable deviation". 

A prosecutor may offer a deal like that for 2 reasons in my experience.

One is if the case is weak.

Two, they have a good case but it's not worth the effort to take it to trial.  Other cases demand more attention.

The only place I've seen it was a hollow point is here.  Every other account says one round of ammo.

The loaded gun in the trunk is what really got her in trobule.  I can understand the judge ruling her expired permit is expired even if it's within the grace period.  Not saying I agree with that or any of this.  Just saying I understand.

1 hour ago, GRIZ said:

A prosecutor may offer a deal like that for 2 reasons in my experience.

One is if the case is weak.

Two, they have a good case but it's not worth the effort to take it to trial.  Other cases demand more attention.

The only place I've seen it was a hollow point is here.  Every other account says one round of ammo.

The loaded gun in the trunk is what really got her in trobule.  I can understand the judge ruling her expired permit is expired even if it's within the grace period.  Not saying I agree with that or any of this.  Just saying I understand.

A deal is also counts as a win or conviction for a prosecutor. And that’s all they care about. It’s how the record looks. Wins vs loses. Another notch on their belt.