PK90

S&W M&P .380 Shield ...........

3 minutes ago, GunsnFreedom said:

I feel like I am missing something.  My mom (in her 60's) can shoot my .45 accurately but can't rack it.  This would actually make her more interested in owning and going to the range.

There was an older thread about just this topic - various aids to help people rack a gun. Might be of some use to you...? Of course, your mom could also consider a revolver - and avoid the issue entirely.

I have to admit, when @GRIZgenerously guested me into his range and let me try a lot of his handguns, I had a preconceived notion that I would NOT like revolvers. True, I still haven't bought one (yet, lol!)... but I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. Revolvers have a simple, user-friendly design that eliminates the hand strength issue that comes with racking a semi-auto.  Here's the thread:

If we ever get carry in NJ this will be something my wife might get. She has MS and her finger grip strength is severely depleted. Given enough time she can rack many firearms, but in an emergency who has time? If the spring is soft enough on this one it might be a winner for her. That said the grip safety is hideous.

Seems to me it's about the size of a Walther PP.  I don't have any need for it (doesn't mean I wouldn't buy one).

The larger grip would mitigate recoil for some.   The grip safety might be to get it on "the list" for states that have such things.

• Like 1

Observations of the M&P Shields:

.45ACP vs .40SW vs 9mm vs .380Auto

3.3" vs 3.1" vs 3.1" vs 3.675" barrel

6.5" vs 6.1" vs 6.1" vs 6.7" OAL

20.5 vs 18.1 vs 18.3 vs 18.5 ounces

6or7 vs 6or7 vs 7or8 vs 8 round mag

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PK90 said:

Observations of the M&P Shields:

.45ACP vs .40SW vs 9mm vs .380Auto

3.3" vs 3.1" vs 3.1" vs 3.675" barrel