GramGun79

SCAR 17 Prices??

There is no argument. You make a claim of less proprietary. Im challenging you on your claim. You mention the HK762 and the REPR, two large pattern AR's that top the proprietary list. Maybe the trigger is interchangeable between the two. So you dont want the SCAR because its too proprietary, but you would take the proprietary REPR that has an ABYSMAL record. The first ones had huge mag  and feeding issues. They did not do well at all in the IAR trials thus were not selected. A few reviews of some Gen 2's indicate not much has changed. But you would pick it over a battle proven SCAR. OK, good luck with that.

There is no argument. You make a claim of less proprietary. Im challenging you on your claim. You mention the HK762 and the REPR, two large pattern AR's that top the proprietary list. Maybe the trigger is interchangeable between the two. So you dont want the SCAR because its too proprietary, but you would take the proprietary REPR that has an ABYSMAL record. The first ones had huge mag  and feeding issues. They did not do well at all in the IAR trials thus were not selected. A few reviews of some Gen 2's indicate not much has changed. But you would pick it over a battle proven SCAR. OK, good luck with that.

And they still are less proprietary than a SCAR, you don’t need to buy Magazines for a REPR or any 308 carbine for that matter directly from their manufacturer. What isn’t proprietary on a SCAR? A sling? An optic? You’re doing a poor job of trying to prove to me that others are just as proprietary as a SCAR and clearly upset that I prefer something else over it. Yes I would pick a REPR over a scar, why? Because it’s my second amendment right to choose what I want to shoot.

Battle proven? Why do I need to make that a factor in something I’m buying to blow things up on the range? I’ve fought in a war, I’ve been wounded in combat, if I want something battle proven, I want an M27IAR or a M240, but that’s frowned upon. Or I’d want a regular AR-15, which I have plenty of.

It’s ok you can admit that I bruised your fanboydom for the gun with an ugg boot for a stock that gives you looks at the range.

swap a billet lower receiver and you can.  
NJ is going towards 10rd mags, FN makes 10rd mags......so, ur good!   who needs Magpul mags anyway.

Simple answer

b9b36c2cf3048c15b0152e2200910c7d.jpg

Fanboy? Clearly you dont know me. Before you keep spouting off about fanboy bullshit, my opinion is based on solid experience  and trigger time with just about every one of these systems.You do know all those little parts that make up the piston system in the REPR are proprietary to the rifle right? You are aware about the rail systems right? The bolt, the barrel etc etc?

Why does battle proven matter? I sure Im dont need to explain it to you. 

I dont give a shit what you pick, your free to pick whatever you want and it doesn't even have anything to do with the second amendment. But your position you present for the basis of your selection is illogical. 

• Like 1

Fanboy? Clearly you dont know me. Before you keep spouting off about fanboy bullshit, my opinion is based on solid experience  and trigger time with just about every one of these systems.You do know all those little parts that make up the piston system in the REPR are proprietary to the rifle right? You are aware about the rail systems right? The bolt, the barrel etc etc?
Why does battle proven matter? I sure I dont need to explain it to you. 
I dont give a shit what you pick, your free to pick whatever you want and it doesn't even have anything to do with the second amendment. But your position you present for the basis of your selection is illogical. 

.... you don’t say!

aac4859f32e3e78d5aeea2bcdc06e24f.jpg

Battle proven doesn’t matter because i’m not going to war anytime soon :lol:

I write for a media outlet, this is a normal occurrence for our range days

4a22d1a2297ede7b481657a67acee296.jpg

Of everything on that table, the SCAR is the least special to me. I don’t care if you think my basis is illogical, I care about what I like shooting. You’re upset because you’re humblebragging about your monetary possessions and expect praise for owning a SCAR. Don’t care, nothing special to me.

and this sums it up. Both are good rifles and serve their purposes well. I rather have the REPR for the exact reasons said in this video, if I'm gonna shoot .308, it's to go long. I'm i'm shooting short range, I don't want a .308, I want a AR15.

You didnt say you pick it because you like it. I could easily live with that. Your point was about being proprietary. If your not interested in the discussion, why are you still talking? It would seem to me your the one with an emotional attachment to a specific brand. No a rifle doesn't have to be battle proven but it sure helps give confidence it will work! There are literally tons of people reporting all the issues they have had with their REPR's to the point of selling it for a loss. A pattern has emerged. If you can live with that roll of the dice, again, be my guest, order it up! I do not see any of those kinds of reports from the SCAR17 and I would bet there are many more SCAR17's out there than REPR's. There are members on this very forum that have had a rough go with their REPR's. I have personally had hands on many LWRC problem rifles. Agency rifles included. In recent years they have improved. But the REPR, as I said, seems to still have issues. And because the rifle is PROPRIETARY, they have to keep going back to the factory to be corrected. My selections arent based on feelings, they are based on analysis and my goal for the given tool. Humble brag? Give me a break with that nonsense. Its extremely rare I talk about what semi's I own online. By all means, please direct me to something you have written. Perhaps Ill read something that will give me a different perspective on your position on these topics.

On 4/3/2018 at 9:12 PM, Shane45 said:

Nothing I do is based on necessity. If that were the case my diet would be healthy, My big ass 8000lb Deisel truck would be a Subaru Forester, all my near 200 horse power motocycles would have been Vespas....you get the point. But My firearms are my insurance policies I get to play with. Therefore I expect them to far exceed my needs unless some day those needs become realities. With that being said, if you wanted to do some 3 Gun Heavy Metal division, I think the SCAR would be quite a contender.

cool story bro, keep bragging about what you're compensating for.

5 hours ago, JR88USMC said:

SCAR is a nice rifle, I rented one once at Gun For Hire a few years ago, and that $100 to rent with ammo was enough to get that itch out of my system for one. Cool gun but not worth the $$ for me. With everything being proprietary and expensive, I rather have an AR10

3 hours ago, Shane45 said:

Yeah because the AR10 platform is standardised LOL

3 hours ago, JR88USMC said:

A lot less proprietary than a scar...can’t even use .308 mags in a SCAR.

2 hours ago, Shane45 said:

What makes you think Pmags work in all AR10's? JR, your statements make me wonder how well versed you actually are in the large pattern AR platform.

How is it a lot less proprietary? Are you under the impression you can toss any AR10 parts together and they will fit? I assure you this is not the case.

reading is fundamental, bro.

2 hours ago, JR88USMC said:

For one, I didn’t say P-Mags, I said .308 mags. Because for the most part they do. All DPMS and stoner style models the P-Mags work, P-Mags work in the lwrci REPR. The HK762, no Lancer & GI mags work in them. I’m fully aware there is no universal .308 pattern like the AR-15 platform, put down your skirt. You have an opinion and so do I. I don’t think the SCAR is anything special. For that money I would rather have a REPR or HK762RMR.

My Windham, anything made for DPMS style .308 carbines work, that’s a lot less proprietary parts than what are in a SCAR. Like I said, calm down it’s ok to have a disagreement.

since we are talking on these terms, since the REPR take all mil spec 7.62x51 NATO mags and the SCAR doesn't, it takes less proprietary parts than a scar ;) congrats, you made a big ol nothingburger because of your own inability to read and respect someones opinion. Eat a bag of dicks.

Oh, I see, your still stuck on mags but continue to ignore the barrel full of other proprietary parts. BTW, some simple mods to a FAL mag and it will work in a SCAR, but I know, there's only a couple million FAL mags floating around the planet.... 

Man do you have your period or what? You say you would go with the REPR because you like it but criticise me for making a point about buying things because I like them, not because they meet a basic need. Get over it.

that's where it started in the first place and you put words in my mouth. Stupid or Liar?

Its your limited scope. You could not and still cant see the full spectrum of the discussion/point is far beyond mag compatibility. Yes I mistook you to mean pmags as did others because its a common reference to SCARS. But the salient point is if it can take PMAGS it can pretty much take any 308 AR mag, solving the one compliant you apparently have. But MANY 308 platforms have mag challenges. But as chance would have it, the original REPR is the worst I ever recall. Many reported they could only get them to run with KAC SR25 mags.

that was years ago. all 223/5.56/300blk LWRC's have been having issues with gen 3 pmags and that's a known issue. I've shot 2 REPR's recently and no issues with mag loading, I should be getting an RMA for a MKII REPR soon for an article and I plan to beat the shit out of it to write about, so i'll report back then. I have no problem with guns have proprietary parts, in fact that's what I love about my M6IC vs. other AR15's, but proprietary mags I do. When it's $40-50/mag for a SCAR vs. $20/mil spec that's a difference in buying more important things like boxes of ammo.

Negative, it was the 308 REPR. IIRC it was traced to bad magwell design and they had to recut a bunch of them which helped but didnt really solve the issue. 1 of those was owned by a serious LR competitor here in NJ.

I count around 7 REPR's in this thread of which a number have taken multiple rides back to the factory without resolution.

http://forum.snipershide.com/threads/lwrci-repr-mk2.6675853/

Not a brag so dont make me run and get you some cranberry juice, but Im not bothered by the price of mags, it does not eat into my ammo budget. But as I said, FAL mags can be made to work and the last time I bought those I paid 5 bucks each! 

Almost all REPR’s are .308 ...either way I have over 100 magazines for 5.56, 7.62x39 and 7.62x51 NATO/.308 if I can’t use them in a rifle, then I’m not interested. Now if FN wants to send me one to create content about I certainly won’t say no.

For someone just interested in the range you have A LOT of mags! I dont think they need any content, they sell EVERY one they make! But let me continue to be the devils advocate. You would rather go with a REPR, a rifle that I think is easily demonstrated that it has a very spotty history, rather than buy a SCAR and just get a standard mag lower swap and have a rifle with a strong rep for reliability that accepts standard 308 mags? 

I'll convert you HE! G trigger. Mrex rail sys. mmmm mmm good. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shane45 said:

For someone just interested in the range you have A LOT of mags! I dont think they need any content, they sell EVERY one they make! But let me continue to be the devils advocate. You would rather go with a REPR, a rifle that I think is easily demonstrated that it has a very spotty history, rather than buy a SCAR and just get a standard mag lower swap and have a rifle with a strong rep for reliability that accepts standard 308 mags? 

I'll convert you HE! G trigger. Mrex rail sys. mmmm mmm good. :D

I was in the Military for 6 years, a lot of those mags have been acquired through my time in 3) I am a freelance writer like I said (and listed as an RP on an ffl where communist laws don't apply), the companies we work with send us stuff all the time for content, so i've acquired a lot of mags through that.

We have written many articles using a SCAR, we don't just write about a gun and say it's the greatest gun ever and you need to buy it. As a platform we have 3 SCAR's in our possession, one of which is a 10.5" SCAR 16 suppressed and none of which are in my possession. The guy who runs the media platform has used it in many of his articles testing out different things like optics and ammo. If you see the pic I posted, that was at one of our most recent range days. He even wrote an article last year testing Hornady Black through a DPMS 16, LWRC M6IC and the scar 16 and of those 3, the scar performed the worst in the accuracy.

Yes I would choose the REPR, I have had no issues with shooting one, it comes with a Geissele SSA-E installed already (the scar doesn't), it is ergonomically better to shoot, and you're basing what you hear off an internet forum. For me .308 is about shooting the distance, I'll take something that is known for shooting distance, not a rifle designed for short range.

I gotta say.  I used to shoot the lwrc for all three guns with an aimpoint h2.  Never had any isues.  I switched to a colt 6940 piston with an acog.  Cause i have a 14.7 on my lwrc and i was worried about reaching long and possibly missing a few fingers afterwards.  Thats the.  Only.  Reason i switched.  Sorry HE.  But i like piston rifles.  Hey.  To each their own.  

• Like 1

Dude, this is funny and all (I am really getting a kick out of it) but Shane is legit. He probably has forgotten more about looooong distance shooting than you or I have ever learned. He’s not some internet troll and he’s not basing his knowledge base on “what he hears on the Internet”.

Maybe you are too, but I don’t know you. I know Shane.

On another note  - JR, I am curious to read some of your articles and check out some of the publications you write for.

To be honest, the article you solicited info for on this forum earlier (about top tier rifles) has me scratching my head and I would love to see what other stuff you have done to get some perspective.

• Like 3

Ive been on snipers hide for 16 years. Ive gotten to know quite a few of the membership personally. So many of the anecdotes from there are from people I know. Additionally an aimpoint mount that I designed and manufactured accompanied the original LWRC IAR to the MC trials so my view is from a little more behind the curtain than most. So for me, there is simply to much hit or miss with that system and I dont know anyone who has gotten any serious accuracy out of one. No it doesn't come with a G trigger, but at normal prices the rifle is about a grand less so you could add the trigger, rail and a 308 mag compatible lower and still be under. But if LR is the goal, neither of these rifles would even be in my top 3 choices.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Golf battery said:

I gotta say.  I used to shoot the lwrc for all three guns with an aimpoint h2.  Never had any isues.  I switched to a colt 6940 piston with an acog.  Cause i have a 14.7 on my lwrc and i was worried about reaching long and possibly missing a few fingers afterwards.  Thats the.  Only.  Reason i switched.  Sorry HE.  But i like piston rifles.  Hey.  To each their own.  

More power to you. 

Objectively, I have seen way to many piston ARs fail - from a number of manufacturers. 

Subjectively - I hate the balance and the recoil impulse. 

In the end, I hate all the different proprietary bits each manufacturer has and how nothing is easy or cheap just because it’s a piston. DI guns have been running fine for years. I see no need to deviate from the TDP if I’m shooting an AR.

Inhave other guns that are Piston driven - AUG Clone (MSAR), a really nice milled Arsenal AK, an M1 Garand, I have a legit Galil at work I play with from time to time - but my heart belongs to the AR FoW.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shane45 said:

If you dont mind the risk, I dont mind the attempt. How hard is it to find MSAR barrels these days? 

Fucking hens teeth bro. So are parts for PM and the like. Some AUG parts work, but most don’t. I may just break down and get a USR or that new Aussie gun....

I’m trying to find an MSAR barre from a free state where the  rake isn’t pinned so that I can put what I want on it. No luck.

If see one, let me know.