Maksim

The Bullet Hole... a top notch place

just got done with my visit, and as a matter a fact, typing this on my mobile phone eating at kfc not too far away.

as others said, it is a hole in the wall, but great amount of stock, very reasonable prices, and a range to shoot.

it gets packed. had to wait half an hour to use the range. range prices very reasonable 12.50 per hour. 3 bucks for 5 targets. didn't check ammo prices as I brought my own.

range is well lit. great thing about it is that it has backfill thus they allow high power rifles. downside... only 10 ports. and not that long.

range offcers were top notch and ran things smoothly.

a great replacement for Rays.

will add more later, details of my shoot and smith wesson demo day will be in the trip report forum.

I go to the B Hole usually around 11 am or around 4pm on weekdays, and Im often there completely alone! or with one or two other people.

Its really nice when its just me, theyve seen me there enough that they will just leave me in there, and even let me keep shooting past my time if I so desire.

It is small, and can be very crowded (I went to shoot on a weekend once, and it was insane!) but they have a very large selection.

A few years back while doing one of my bi-annaul qualifications, I started talking to one of their range officers. turns out he was my next door neighbor a LOT of years back in the 50's and 60's. I hadn't seen him in better than 40 years....

When I lived in Nutley, I would go there all the time. Never happy with the parking but other then that, it's a great place.

does a train actually run through it? the parking is an issue there though. always wondering if there is a chance if a train passes it would hit the car. hehe.

When I lived in Nutley, I would go there all the time. Never happy with the parking but other then that, it's a great place.

does a train actually run through it? the parking is an issue there though. always wondering if there is a chance if a train passes it would hit the car. hehe.

I don't know about now but when I was a child I remember them passing really slow around there. With the frequency of folks parking pretty much right on the tracks, I'm thinking they aren't used any longer.

You never know with trains. We had one set of tracks that was next to a retail store. All the shoppers thought the tracks were not used so they naturally park tight on top of them. turns out a fright train does use the tracks about twice a year. They gave use a half hour to clear the tracks before they were coming through. Apparently they have the right of way and they weren't waiting.

It would be great to come out and find your car bent in half.

I've been to The Bullet Hole numerous times for the range and to buy guns. The range officers are all great guys, engaging and friendly, though stern when they need to be. A smile and a handshake is common for repeat customers (myself included).

Now, referring ONLY to the store employees, and not the range officers:

I really wish I could say they were friendly, but "jovial" is not the word that comes to mind when I think of my interactions with them. I think the most accurate thing I could say is that they are completely lacking in enthusiasm. This can come across as unfriendly, though I don't think they intend to be. I think perhaps that they are just worn down.

Don't believe me? Call them on the phone sometime -- they're downright dour. You'll get a friendlier, more upbeat reception calling a mortuary than calling The Bullet Hole. Don't even bother trying to engage them in any conversation about AR-15 rifles. Yes, I get it, they are hard to find. God forbid I ask (when I'm there for rangetime, maybe 1-2x a month) if they have seen any uptick in AR-15 inventory.

Lastly, how many retail establishments have 4 people behind the counter, 3 of which will mill about and essentially ignore someone standing right in front of the register trying to buy something or just get range time? I stood in the front of a growing line for no less than 10 minutes while no one bothered to ring me up... that's not good salesmanship in any business.

Let me put it this way -- if they had any competition in the area, I'd be looking around elsewhere.

I wish them the best and hope they cheer up soon.

--and yes, parking can be troublesome, and I'm especially worried about parking around the corner from there as I believe that is a school zone... I'm never sure if parking there and carrying weapons through a school area is a federal offense or not, and I'd rather not find out anytime soon... luckily, I just zipped back to their sidestreet and squeezed myself in along the tracks with everyone else.

I have bought 3 long guns from the BH recently due to the guns being available. One for around $500, one for around $1800 and one for around $2300 (all at approximate MSRP). And then another $500 of ammo and stuff. The same family members are there each time. And yet they treat me like another stranger off the street. I don't expect them to know my name, but there ought to be some recognition, no?

The transactions have been smooth. No additional cost for the FID check (although at the price levels I've been paying it's clearly embedded in the price). Willingness to start a sale at 8:20pm and get the phone call to the state done before the 8:30pm deadline.

I just wish for a little more friendliness. I guess all gun store staff are just completely busy all the time, but I buy coffee at a starbucks which has got a 10+ person line for 12 hours a day, and they still manage to be friendly...

So, I'd buy another gun there. If Firearms Guild in Rahway had the same thing at the same price (or even close) I'd buy it there to promote my relationship with a more friendly shop, but they're ok.

They have silly restrictions on ammo purchases now, but I guess some stores do.

As for their range, it's a nightmare in my opinion. I've been there twice, once each to test out new .223 rifles. One time was at opening time on a weekday, the other was an hour after opening on a Saturday. The Saturday was bedlam, with a line of people waiting, various people shooting guns they had very little experience with in slightly scary ways, overwhelming range officers (but given the audience I don't blame them), 30 minute sessions that last around 22 minutes, etc. There were some young men working (probably 15 years old) that were friendly and polite, but the "Guns for Hire" crew were not so nice.

Even on the weekday morning, the range went from pleasant to crowded and strange quickly.

Forget about your brass. They have an off duty officer sweeping your brass into the collector gutter as fast as you can shoot. They have a bunch of 55 gallon drums full of your brass outside the side of the store, and I bet they make a very nice profit off that. (I understand that most of their wannabee gangsta and CC qualification folks probably don't need their brass, but they ought to make it at least possible).

In summary, buying guns ==> OK, full MSRP, decent selection, various interesting AR-15 guns in the last few weeks. Buying ammo ==> not great, decent selection, purchase limits, high price, highest price on CMP 30-06 ammo I've ever seen. Range ==> great if you are an off duty LEO who is friends with the owners, not so great otherwise.

-Melgamatic

At BA, you know you are getting screwed on prices but at least they do it with a smile. =)

As far as brass, never once had an issue and kind of encourage you. lol

At the bullet hole, they actually reload the stuff.

When I was there for the smith wesson demo day, I checked out the prices and they were quite reasonable on handguns and even the saiga 12's.

The range, unless it was the only one in town, I would not go there. Dirty, over packed, and not long enough hours.

For those that dont have choices, sorry. =)

Havent talked to the owners yet, but I am sure most of their business comes from rentals and new people.

I was there yesterday. They had a few AR's at WAYYY better prices than Harry's A&N on 130. I was looking at them and didn't even ask to see them when the older lady asked if I would like a closer look. She let me handle three different models without breaking my chops. I thought that was cool. I thought the prices for their handguns were inline for a shop in north NJ and their ammo prices were better than what I've seen around.

As for the range, my buddy brought his Glock 23 for me to try out being that's what I went to the shop to look at. We also shot a S&W 357 mag. wheel gun. Yeah, they swept the brass but it if they didn't, you'd probably have some meathead trip over the shells on the floor and sue. Think about it. Hard floor + hard cylindrical object on floor = someone busting their ass. You want it, pick it up. Also, it wasn't too busy being it was 6pm on a Tuesday. Range dudes we cool. Spoke about the dumb asses that go there and shoot the ceilings right above the stand. Can't blame them for being stern. He even stopped me from taking a cell phone vid of my bud shooting. It was posted on their rules so he was right.

I will use their facility and buy from there no problem.

My local shop have eight on the shelf. I see the frenzy dying down. Some have offered them for sale privately at high prices finding few takers. You think they would have learned from the housing bubble.

the bullet hole is the range i often shoot at. i agree with everyone describing the range officers as pleasant but stern and the people behind the counter as lifeless.

the range isn't bad, just short. it also does have a tendency of getting very busy, especially on demo days (insanity).

i've met some really pleasant and knowledgable people at the bullet hole but i also noticed a bunch of want to be gangsters and hoodies, without any real knowledge of shooting, there also. just try to steer clear of those individuals or alert a range officer if the way someone is handling their firearm is making you nervous.

i'm currently looking for a longer range to shoot my ar rifle at in the morris county area. can anyone point me in the right direction?

I've been going there for over 10 years. They have the best local pricing I've seen on firearms. Most of my guns have been bought there.

The staff is a little lifeless, but I've been to worse. The old range in Hoboken comes to mind. That place was creepy.

I've never had an issue with picking up my brass at the BH. I think once the range officer sees you picking up your brass, they'll generaly leave you alone. If the brass starts piling up though, I think they have to sweep the brass out for liability concerns.

I understand they used to do bowling pin matches and what not. I asked about the matches a few years ago and they said they had incidents with people controlling their shots, ie.. shot's into the ceiling and shooting some lights out.

Overall, I like the place. Lately, they've been nuts on the weekends though.

LOL about the lights.

My first time there, a young gangsta-looking but polite man had to come from the range to the register twice to pay for replacement lightbulbs. Apparently they were HI bulbs, so they charged him $12 each time and sent him back to the range. It appeared like this happens frequently enough that they had a item setup in the computerized register for "range lightbulbs."

(I'm not sure if they were close to the firing line or not...)

I'm a regular at the Bullet Hole. Purchased my first handgun there but have since found my other weapons here and there. I'll agree with the lack of outright exhuberance on the part of most of the staff.

They know me quite well and it's not like I'm welcomed with open arms when I show up. I show up once or twice a week to shoot a few hundred rounds and I know everyone there including the GunForHire guys very well (great people). They are always very helpful and knowledgeable when asked a question, they just get a lot of idiots in there that grate on them. Every time I have a question, it is answered quickly and thoroughly, and they never have a problem showing you a weapon you're interested in.

Honestly the range has become polluted by weekend warriors dusting off their old mall-ninja Glocks and limp wristing their way to stovepipe after stovepipe. Then you have the wanna-be toughguys showing up with ridiculous firepower that there's absolutely no use for. Last time I was there two tattooed, middle aged idiots were one-handing a .44 magnum and giggling like school children. By the fifth round idiot #2 ricochets one off the floor, tears his target in half and takes out a ceiling light. I wasn't sure where to point my HK45 next.

I loved the place before Obama was elected, and I'm sure when this craze dies down I'll love it again. For now I just go about my business and keep shooting.