Sign in to follow this  
Maksim

How does your spouse/significant other/family deal with guns

Here is a question that got me thinking... and perhaps a two part question.

One, how did you get involved with firearms, and Two, how does your spouse/significant other/family feel about firearms, and you specifically dealing with firearms.

I got involved with firearms about 4 or 5 years ago after my brother brought home the first handgun and took me shooting.

Initially, mom and dad were both freaked. The only other experience they had with them was with the mandatory knowing of how to dismantle and field strip and old rifle in the former soviet union schools. After a while, they learned to accept it.

Took dad shooting, and got him converted... mom, will after I take her shooting. GF is a done deal, and enjoys it quite a bit. Wants the pink XD that Michele posted in the handgun thread. Extended family... only one cousin that I know about is a firearms owner. A few friends are quite good with it, my childhood friend thinks I am preparing for civil war, (he also happens to have voted for Obama).

What are your experiences?

the avatar photo is indeed me from like 1st grade in the soviet union.... and no, it was not a real Kalashnikov.

My wife tolerates, she comes form an ant family of med pros and went to Quaker schools as a child. She understands and is pro 2a, but is not a fighter for it. She has been shooting, and is a good shot, but has not further interest other then basic knowledge and shtf. My boys know and are dying to get involved, but SWMBO has laid down a 10yo or proven maturity rule.

I am a self made man. No other family member is a gun owner and my folks were anti. I have some uncles that are enthusiastic hunters, but that is about it. I got into guns when I moved to Ga to go to college, started running with some guys that were a mix of armoy rotc, hipppies and rednecks. Been into them ever since, about 22 years now.

Shot .22's as a kid. After joining the Corps and getting to play with the fun stuff it was all over for me. Do I miss shooting Dragons.

My wife loves them. We bought a Bushmaster when they first became availible in NJ because she thought it was cute. Last year I built a 10/22 for her. She is a pretty good shotwith rifle and pistol. Granted, I am a little more obsessed than she is but she is twisted enough.

At one time she helped me reload. I bought a Dillon and fired her.

Having no kids, she was used to seeing a handgun on my desk or a duty belt on the chair. no different today. A Glock is usually on top on the computer desk and the basement is my reloading and maintenance domain.

She comes to the gun club from time to time but rarely shoots any longer. She does have a carry permit but never does so.

I was exposed to guns and the shooting sports as a kid and the fascination grew from there, mom was very tolerant, stressed safety more than anything else. My father and uncles taught me how to shoot trap, pistols, and rifles. When my wife and I were dating I took her shooting and she was hooked. She is a very good trap shooter, enjoys pistols, and rifles too. About three years ago my daughter (now 17) started shooting and has become a great shot, loves AR's and trap . My 8 year old has to wait until he's 10 club rules. :D

My chem teacher in high school was into shooting, and I got him to take a couple other kids and me to the range the summer after we graduated. Spent an afternoon with a .22 autoloader and a .38/.357 wheelgun. I was hooked. My mom was initially strongly against having a gun in the house, but she has slowly soften to the point that I took her out to the range a month or so ago and she had alot of fun. She hadn't been shooting in 20+ years. My dad has been pretty ambivalent about it from the start, but I got him out to the range once two summers ago. It was alot of fun to see him get to pull the trigger for the first time. You could tell it was something he'd always wanted to try.

From day one, I've been incredibly serious about safety, and I think my parents picked up on that. The guns are absolutely always locked up when not at the range or being cleaned. I drilled the four rules into everyone in the family before we went to the range.

Overall, its been a pretty positive experience for me.

At one time she helped me reload. I bought a Dillon and fired her.

Having no kids, she was used to seeing a handgun on my desk or a duty belt on the chair. no different today. A Glock is usually on top on the computer desk and the basement is my reloading and maintenance domain.

She comes to the gun club from time to time but rarely shoots any longer. She does have a carry permit but never does so.

Do you live in New Jersey? If so I am curious as to how she managed to get one of the coveted carry permits.

I'm retired from a NJ PD and certify under the LEOSA. We now live in NH.

Keep rubbing it in Rich...Geez

The Wife is used to them being around the house, she understands that on one hand, me being a LEO, the handguns are required, as for the rest, she just kind of rolls her eyes. i AM well on the way to corrupting the Daughter unit though..She's going to get her pink "Cricket" rifle in another couple of months, and will be shooting Cowboy with me down in CJRPC by the time she's 9.

My cousin took me to an indoor range in CT ~15 yrs ago. Started me on a 22 (woodsman I think), and worked me up to 38/357 with a wheelgun, up to a 9mm semi finally to his colt 45acp. It got me hooked and it took the election to get me off my a(oops) behind.

I got the permit without the wife's knowledge, and had hell to pay for 2 wks until we worked that out. I've also got a 10/22 and a 12 ga. She goes with me to the range now and she has fun shooting the 22. Next purchase will be a mark 3 or buckmark or 22a in that order (unless i can find a reasonably priced woodsman) so she can shoot a pistol comfortably. She took one shot with my xd, that was enough for her...

My cousin took me to an indoor range in CT ~15 yrs ago. Started me on a 22 (woodsman I think), and worked me up to 38/357 with a wheelgun, up to a 9mm semi finally to his colt 45acp. It got me hooked and it took the election to get me off my a(oops) behind.

I got the permit without the wife's knowledge, and had hell to pay for 2 wks until we worked that out. I've also got a 10/22 and a 12 ga. She goes with me to the range now and she has fun shooting the 22. Next purchase will be a mark 3 or buckmark or 22a in that order (unless i can find a reasonably priced woodsman) so she can shoot a pistol comfortably. She took one shot with my xd, that was enough for her...

not the thread... but quick note. For a 22, my gf loves the feel of the walther p22.... thoug the ruger/buckmark/22a will be far more accurate due to longer barrel.

Add the fact that you can easily put a scope on a 22a... works great. Other candidate is the NEOS, very slim grip, easy to hold.