1LtCAP

Arlo or Blink wireless cameras

37 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I see lots of limitations of Arlo compared to a wired system.

Arlo, Nest, Ring and the other similar products have done to surveillance what Apple did to MP3s, it made it stupid easy to set up.  But, it comes at a cost.

Having an adorable preconfigured system is better than having no system at all, but I do not trust any of them, especially the ones with cloud storage.

Wired cameras where possible and wireless NOT on the same network address space as your home network with strong encryption between the wireless cameras and the video server is far far more secure and private.  With Arlo, and the likes, you can never be sure who's watching you.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sniper said:

I see lots of limitations of Arlo compared to a wired system.

First, the cameras are only 720P. That's considered low, based on what's available today.

Night vision is only 25 feet. That's nothing.

They charge for video storage with a monthly fee. No thanks.

Record time: Looks like the maximum is 2 minutes and shuts off. Not good if what's going on is longer than that.

Cloud based recording and saving of video. Where exactly is it and who's viewing it? I prefer having MY video on MY DVR in MY house.

They're wireless and need regular recharging, who wants to deal with that when they're mounted outside up on the house. No power supply, so you need to buy an additional battery or power supply and run the wires for long term use. Or climb up and take the camera down and charge it all the time. Some reports only after a few days the battery is dead. That's a major pain in the ass.

They're wireless, not hardwired, which has known drop offs in reception of video signals. Video requires a GOOD signal strength to transmit video data. Hard wire beats this hands down for video transfer with no drop off of signal.

Even with all these limitations, a 4 camera Arlo system is $650., not even close to being competitive to a wired 4 camera system. And that's before all the add-ins you need to make it a true functioning, long term system and then paying for video storage.

I went over to read the reviews on them. The biggest issues I see mentioned over and over is battery issues and video drop off and viewing issues. Also, a bunch of cold weather issues, which with a  battery powered system, I would expect. Many issues with missing recording clips too and delay in the motion activation.

For a $650. system (plus all the add on costs), all of that would be a MAJOR concern and a no-go for me.

The Arlo pro 2 system is 1080p. 

I don't know what to tell you, you can read a bad review for every product ever made, doesn't make it the norm. 

If you want good night vision, I don't really think it makes sense to suggest people buy those cheap hardwired systems... They have just as bad night vision. Good cameras cost 200 bucks a pop if that's what your going to use a factor. The cheaper systems also have their own security flaws.

I plugged in the high traffic cameras through the garage wall, and the other cameras get charged once ever 3 months. If an event records for 2 minutes and is triggered again, it will record for another 2 minutes and so on. 

I also record my videos locally through the usb port on the back of the base station, and get the free 1 week storage...

I'm not really looking to argue over this, but giving out less than accurate info is misleading. 

9 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Arlo, Nest, Ring and the other similar products have done to surveillance what Apple did to MP3s, it made it stupid easy to set up.  But, it comes at a cost.

Having an adorable preconfigured system is better than having no system at all, but I do not trust any of them, especially the ones with cloud storage.

Wired cameras where possible and wireless NOT on the same network address space as your home network with strong encryption between the wireless cameras and the video server is far far more secure and private.  With Arlo, and the likes, you can never be sure who's watching you.

How many people do you think are running a dedicated network for their security cameras? 

If the system is going through you standard wireless network router, it doesn't matter if it's wired or not. The same security issues are present.

A recall a few security concerns with a major brand not too long ago. 

You also have to depend on the physcall recording system being left after an event take place.

The point of the Arlo pro system was to increase encryption capabilities of the the standard wifi cameras. 

39 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

I don't know what to tell you, you can read a bad review for every product ever made, doesn't make it the norm. 

If you want good night vision, I don't really think it makes sense to suggest people buy those cheap hardwired systems... They have just as bad night vision. Good cameras cost 200 bucks a pop if that's what your going to use a factor. The cheaper systems also have their own security flaws.

I plugged in the high traffic cameras through the garage wall, and the other cameras get charged once ever 3 months. If an event records for 2 minutes and is triggered again, it will record for another 2 minutes and so on. 

I also record my videos locally through the usb port on the back of the base station, and get the free 1 week storage...

I'm not really looking to argue over this, but giving out less than accurate info is misleading. 

I'd just like to point out that the "professional" system we ran for years at our work, cost a fortune, had monthly maintenance(2k), was analog and didn't record 24/7.    We contacted the vendor to go to an IP based system and they wanted something like 2k per camera and around 30k to run wires and another 10k per NVR.

I bought a GW Security NVR with their cameras own brand as well as hikvision cameras, Dahua Cameras.     I run 16TB of disk in each NVR.   Each standard Dome or Bullet  from 2mp to 8mp is $80 to $180 and the PTZ cameras a bit more.    I've been running one of these NVRs since early 2015 and it has never failed.  One NVR is about 2 years old and one NVR is 4 months old.     The 16 port NVRs are $400, and an 8TB hard drive is around $350, so $1100(NVR + 16TB) before cameras and probably another 2k for 16 cameras.    I have one flaky camera, it was one of the originals.   Roughly 6 months of "service contract" with the pro system and I've paid for all this.  If a camera dies, it's a couple hundred bucks.

You can get an LaView system with 6 cameras for $400.  That's what I run at home.   It's what I installed for a friend.    It works.  I had 3 analog systems before that. 

2 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

You originally posted Arlo pro, not Arlo pro 2. Please be specific next time.

Then you post this??

Really?

The standard $400 hardwired systems have night vision in the 50 - 100 range, versus 25 for Arlo. HD 4 MP analog cameras are like $60. 4 MP IP cameras are like $110.

Don't accuse others about posting misleading information. I posted what I read directly off of the Arlo site. You just posted a bunch of non verified misleading hyperbole. There's a difference.

If an event records for 2 minutes and is triggered again, it will record for another 2 minutes and so on. 

I just read on the Arlo site the Pro 2 has a "up to 23 feet motion detection range". That's not very far. What happens if the target is 25+ feet away? No recording?

I have some of my cameras covering the back of my house. That's easily 75+ feet, and it will record the motion at any distance. What happens if a guy tries to break into a window that's 40 feet away from your Arlo camera.... So sorry, no video recording for you!

I get it, you love your Arlo cameras. But don't go posting a bunch of non-verified BS when the data and facts show, a hard wired system outperforms the Arlo system hands down, for less money.

I've consistently said the Arlo pro 2, you can go back and look if you need to, the functions of the pro system utilize the same base, different cameras. 

I never said or argued they were "better" than a hardwired system, just that the low end systems weren't worth the money to me.

Im not posting hyperbole, I've seen the quality videos those cheap systems produce.. they get No where near what they advertise. If I'm spending the time to install it, I would use something with much more quality.

I don't have a window that far from a camera. 

Can you get enough detail on your camera for a recording at 75 feet to even mean something?

11 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

With Arlo, and the likes, you can never be sure who's watching you.

This is a big concern of mine with these wireless systems. The video (and Audio) is being stored on the cloud somewhere. Where is this "somewhere"? Who has access to it? Have a camera in your living room or kids room? Kitchen area? What's being recorded on it and being sent to the cloud?

I bet the cloud technicians have a field day watching video clips sent in from everywhere. How many are they sharing with their buddies?

How many people do you think are running a dedicated network for their security cameras? 

If the system is going through you standard wireless network router, it doesn't matter if it's wired or not. The same security issues are present.

See, this is the difference? With a wired system the video is being sent to the DVR on premises and stored there. That's probably 98% of activity. It never goes through the network or router, but the direct wires. The only time it would leave the DVR is when you access it remotely from your phone to see what's going on. How often is that?

With the wireless systems, 100% has to go through the router and network and to the cloud. So, first, that means your network and router and rechargable batteries and cloud all need to be working at 100%. Is that always guaranteed?

See the difference yet?

A recall a few security concerns with a major brand not too long ago. 

You also have to depend on the physcall recording system being left after an event take place.

And a bad guy won't take the Arlo hub with the flash drive attached to it? Sounds like you're reaching....

He can take the hub, but the video is stored on the cloud for a period of time. 

My only point with security, if your connecting anything to a wireless router, doesn't matter what it is.. if you can bypass the security of the ARLO pro you can most likely gain access to the router itself and then anything connected to it.  

I fully understand the differences, and the questions asked here were how the systems work. As a user of the ARLO pro 2 system, it has done everything I need it to do, and has done it well enough for it to be meaningful. I'm not trying to compare it to a wired system. As an easy gift to someone it's something that can be very useful.

Just remembered, a crude paintball gun will render any camera useless... This is just a single line of defense.

1 hour ago, JackDaWack said:

My only point with security, if your connecting anything to a wireless router, doesn't matter what it is.. if you can bypass the security of the ARLO pro you can most likely gain access to the router itself and then anything connected to it.  

What if it's hard wired to the router, like my DVR is? Nothing runs wireless on it. Actually, it's tied into my personal router, where I set up the security and firewall, then that router is piggy-backed onto my Comcast router. If someone gets into my Comcast router (who knows what shit Comcast does, as fucked up as they are), they can't get into my router the same way.

Can you get enough detail on your camera for a recording at 75 feet to even mean something?

OK here's an example. First, the normal view on one of my cameras that's mounted up in the peak of the roof.

Cam1.jpg

Now, I'll zoom into the garbage can in the top of the screen:

Cam2.jpg

I can zoom in even closer, if I want. That can is about 80 feet or more away. The night vision will also light up that can, and the motion recording will trigger if anyone goes near it, even from this distance.

Plus, I can grid out areas (which I have done) so it doesn't trigger record, change all types of contrast settings, change the sensativity of the record motion, trigger an alarm or text when it records, and it will record continuously, without any breaks in the action, until motion stops, a whole bunch of other stuff.

BTW, this is a HD 4 MP analog camera that costs like $60. Not a $200 camera.

Also note, I snapped these pictures off of the video monitor with my phone, then emailed the pics to myself, so they're not direct captures, but went through the conversion through my phone. The true images on the monitor are a lot clearer.

if you can bypass the security of the ARLO pro you can most likely gain access to the router itself and then anything connected to it.  

Actually, this is a BIG issue with anything falling into the IoT of devices. Anything in your house that runs off of the wireless network is subject to hack and intrusion. The biggest culprit, people NOT changing the default log in and password with the device. There are tens of thousands, probably more, that are ripe for intrusion, just based on that password situation.

But, let's install MORE wireless devices in our house (thermostats, video doorbells, baby monitors, smart TV, music systems, video cameras, alarm systems, light bulbs, refrigerators, HVAC systems, phones, etc. etc. etc.) What could possibly go wrong..

Then add in Alexa, Google Home and Facebook Portal, that are listening all the time....

....oh, never mind.... Alexa, make me coffee.... (ha, that's a joke, my house will NEVER see one of those recording devices)..:hang:

41 minutes ago, Zeke said:

That pretty much sums it up for most....

2 minutes ago, Malsua said:

Oh, for what it's worth, I can recommend IR Radiators.  I have two of them.    The below video was taken in total darkness but the IR is lit up almost like daylight.

Those are great for non IR cameras or IRs that crap out, but I believe they need a power supply too, right? So it would still entail running wires, which could be an issue with the wireless systems.

27 minutes ago, Sniper said:

That pretty much sums it up for most....

Those are great for non IR cameras or IRs that crap out, but I believe they need a power supply too, right? So it would still entail running wires, which could be an issue with the wireless systems.

Yeah, it has its own power supply.  The cameras have 54 LEDs....the radiator has like 400.    It's a huge difference.

1 hour ago, Malsua said:

Yeah, it has its own power supply. 

So, in the case of the Arlo, with rechargeable batteries and no power supply, that would be tough.

1 hour ago, Malsua said:

The cameras have 54 LEDs....the radiator has like 400.    It's a huge difference.

Wow, that would be like daylight, plus it must help increase the visibility distance too for the camera.

3 hours ago, Sniper said:

So, in the case of the Arlo, with rechargeable batteries and no power supply, that would be tough.

Wow, that would be like daylight, plus it must help increase the visibility distance too for the camera.

The difference is that the radiator doesn't have to be right at the camera as the IR light travels quite a lot.  It could be mounted near an outdoor outlet or somewhere that a hard wire could be run easily.

2 hours ago, Malsua said:

The difference is that the radiator doesn't have to be right at the camera as the IR light travels quite a lot.  It could be mounted near an outdoor outlet or somewhere that a hard wire could be run easily.

True, It doesn't have to be right at the camera, but it needs to be behind the field of vision of the camera. If the camera can see the radiator at all, it will show as a big ball of light in the camera image. It really comes down to the actual location of the camera.

On 12/18/2018 at 1:46 PM, Sniper said:

What if it's hard wired to the router, like my DVR is? Nothing runs wireless on it. Actually, it's tied into my personal router, where I set up the security and firewall, then that router is piggy-backed onto my Comcast router. If someone gets into my Comcast router (who knows what shit Comcast does, as fucked up as they are), they can't get into my router the same way.

OK here's an example. First, the normal view on one of my cameras that's mounted up in the peak of the roof.

Cam1.jpg

Now, I'll zoom into the garbage can in the top of the screen:

Cam2.jpg

I can zoom in even closer, if I want. That can is about 80 feet or more away. The night vision will also light up that can, and the motion recording will trigger if anyone goes near it, even from this distance.

Plus, I can grid out areas (which I have done) so it doesn't trigger record, change all types of contrast settings, change the sensativity of the record motion, trigger an alarm or text when it records, and it will record continuously, without any breaks in the action, until motion stops, a whole bunch of other stuff.

BTW, this is a HD 4 MP analog camera that costs like $60. Not a $200 camera.

Also note, I snapped these pictures off of the video monitor with my phone, then emailed the pics to myself, so they're not direct captures, but went through the conversion through my phone. The true images on the monitor are a lot clearer.

Which NVR are u using?

1 hour ago, JackDaWack said:

Which NVR are u using?

It's not a NVR, it's an analog HD DVR. I originally wired for a analog system when I put it in years ago, and haven't had the "urge" to climb back through the attic to run Ethernet cables to all locations. Plus that would require replacing all cameras too.