AlDente67

Might not be the right forum area...compound bows

So binge watching Walking Dead lately...I forget his name, but the guy with the crossbow got me thinking....

No FID hassles (right?), easy access to ammo....would take practice to get good at it...but could be a viable self-defence weapon.  Quiet, re-use the arrows, etc.   What say you?  I know zilch about compound bows/crossbows.

I have a crossbow (didn’t buy it because of  TWD). 

I don’t think a crossbow would be a good SD weapon, as many of them need a cocking sled to draw the string back. However, as a discrete, quiet hunting tool, they are excellent. 

I have a reverse draw bow, the limbs are over the grip, it balances much like an AR-15 rifle. Extremely accurate, kind of scary how accurate this crossbow is, and fun to shoot!

13CB291F-DF82-4F5E-ACCE-DA80039E7A68.jpeg

Whats a good price point...brand.. features?

When I was in college, I worked at KMart.  they had these arrows in the sporting goods aisle with basically 3 razor blades at the tips.  I always though that would be one horrible day to get hit with one of those.  But I digress

10 minutes ago, AlDente67 said:

When I was in college, I worked at KMart.  they had these arrows in the sporting goods aisle with basically 3 razor blades at the tips.  I always though that would be one horrible day to get hit with one of those.  But I digress

What’s your budget? Do you like a traditional crossbow, or a reverse draw? 

Mine is a Horton Havoc. Horton is owned by another company now, but you can still find the Havoc around at a decent price. Solid bow, any archery shop can restring, and maintain it when required. 

Getting hit with a broad head would absolutely suck...

crossbows i've heard are loud as shit relatively speaking. compound bo would be better choice. quick reloads, relatively quiet, and deadly accurate out to about 50-75 yards depeding on shooter and draw weight

16 minutes ago, AlDente67 said:

they're broadheads. they're for hunting.

An arrow like you described would go clean through a person, especially at close range. You’d have to careful with that if your planning on using it indoors for defense. I’ve recently been thinking of getting myself a decent compound now. If i get into Somerset Fish and game i will definitely buy myself one

An arrow like you described would go clean through a person, especially at close range. You’d have to careful with that if your planning on using it indoors for defense. I’ve recently been thinking of getting myself a decent compound now. If i get into Somerset Fish and game i will definitely buy myself one

3 hours ago, Handyman said:

Wow, that's a lot farther than I would have thought. 

Is there a "typical" draw weight for a middle aged dude?

i'm about 165 and 6'2. I have my draw at 60#. both of my bows are hoyts with 75% let off. at 50 yards it's relatively easy to put arrows in kill zone. at 75 it's more difficult, but doable. 

3 hours ago, Handyman said:

Wow, that's a lot farther than I would have thought. 

Is there a "typical" draw weight for a middle aged dude?

actually, I was just thinking. last time I shot at longhorn 3d shoot, 50 was easy as I mentioned. they had a bison out at 75. that one took me two tries to hit. I was launching that arrow with a pretty high arc...…..

A compound bow might be a little challenging to use for personal defense.  You won’t be walking around clearing your house with an arrow drawn.  Not for very long anyway.  Even with the incredible break over reduction you’d have to quickly draw an arrow when it came time to take a shot.  And if you come face to face with someone hostile, you might be better off using the arrow like a spear.

All that said, archery is fun.  I still have my Jennings Super T compound bow from the late 70’s.  Barely 50% break but its draw weight was adjustable from about 40 to 60 lbs.  But for me that reduction was awesome. I used a Hoyt 40# recurve before the Jennings.  The bows available today are way better.  For a little under $500 you can get a pretty good set of equipment starting with a $350 bow.  I bought a new Bear bow a few years ago and it’s fine for what I do with it.

You might find it helpful to go to a shop where someone experienced can help you get started. Selecting the right arrows on your own the first time might be confusing.  Plus, they need to be cut to length for you so you may as well make use of their knowledge.

Make sure the area behind your target isn’t neighbors patio. 300 fps arrows can go pretty far if you miss your backstop. And they’re deadly.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

i'm about 165 and 6'2. I have my draw at 60#. both of my bows are hoyts with 75% let off. at 50 yards it's relatively easy to put arrows in kill zone. at 75 it's more difficult, but doable. 

So I probably don't understand this at all, but - the arrow leaves the bow with the equivalent force of a 60 pound "traditional" bow but the "compounding" reduces the felt draw for by 75% (to around 15 pounds)?

Last time I shot bows were recurves at summer camp.

4 hours ago, Handyman said:

So I probably don't understand this at all, but - the arrow leaves the bow with the equivalent force of a 60 pound "traditional" bow but the "compounding" reduces the felt draw for by 75% (to around 15 pounds)?

Last time I shot bows were recurves at summer camp.

I think so. initial draw is 60#. as you draw, about halfway through the draw, the draw weight drops off. this is done through cams on each limb. I think mine were around 300fps give or take a couple fps. I only ever shot aluminum arrows. I used a drop away rest, and a 5 pin sight. 

as mentioned above though, this would be a piss poor choice for hd inside ones home...…...

16 hours ago, Handyman said:

Thanks!

No worries for HD, more for hobby. I'm not a hunter.

as a hobby, it's a blast. but be ready to replace arrows.  look in to 3d shoots. many gun clubs set these up for us a few times a year. i haven't done it in a few years, but they are a friggin BLAST. be prepared to replace arrows.

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:59 AM, AlDente67 said:

I know they have a selection at Cheyenne in Bordentown.  Is that a good plave to have a salesperson show me around?  Or would you suggest a better retailer?  I don't think JT sells these.

Cheyenne is not bad, they have a couple of very good bow techs.  I think you can shoot the bows there, so you could try a few and see what you like.

I shoot a vintage 1970's Golden Eagle compound, as others said it is a blast.  I shoot in my back yard and then take the target indoors and shoot in my basement during the winter.