Jump to content

Recommended Posts

If permanently moving out of state, is it okay to check-in hollow point ammunition secured in a locked hard case inside luggage?  

Does TSA ask to see ammo during firearm declaration process?  2018 news from TSA says:

"At the airport during the check-in process, a passenger needs to go to the airline ticket counter to declare the firearm, ammunition and any firearm parts."

https://www.tsa.gov/news/releases/2018/07/26/tsa-advises-passengers-how-travel-firearms-ammunition

Thank you for any help.  I haven't been able to find a good answer.  Some folks say absolutely cannot and others say not a problem at all.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a lawer

When I flew to Michigan I declared what I had.  They checked the box was locked. They did not open it.  This crap is only a big deal here.  Other parts of the country they simply don't make a big deal of it.  

I also called TSA to clear something up with them and the clerk was awesome to deal with.  

Good luck with your move.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, i003017 said:

Many thanks.  Very grateful for the info.  

When I called TSA, I asked the clerk if she could tell me where on the site the info was that she quoted.  She instead offered to email me directly the information.  I had it within a half hour.  Fantastic to deal with that day.  

Additionally I would look at it this way: I'm moving my legally owned and purchased HP ammo between two points of exemption.  Nothing more.  Pistols, same deal.  

Deep breaths...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, i003017 said:

If permanently moving out of state, is it okay to check-in hollow point ammunition secured in a locked hard case inside luggage?  

Does TSA ask to see ammo during firearm declaration process?  2018 news from TSA says:

"At the airport during the check-in process, a passenger needs to go to the airline ticket counter to declare the firearm, ammunition and any firearm parts."

https://www.tsa.gov/news/releases/2018/07/26/tsa-advises-passengers-how-travel-firearms-ammunition

Thank you for any help.  I haven't been able to find a good answer.  Some folks say absolutely cannot and others say not a problem at all.

 

For what it's worth, the airport is not an exempted place to have hollow point ammunition, nor a place you can legally transport it to.

That said, no one is going to check.

If you have any bulk amount of it, just ship it to your destination.   You have to declare it Hazmat.  You need to place ORM-D markings or the Hazmat Diamond.  That particular process is changing, ORM-D will no long be valid after December 31, 2020   it will become a "Limited Quantity" Hazmat Diamond.

You must ship it from a UPS Depot, no UPS store or whatever will take it.

  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Put your ammo in an unmarked cardboard box, address it to your new address using UPS Online, and handwrite with a marker "ORM-D". Hand it to a UPS driver that you see driving around on that day or any day thereafter. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, PK90 said:

Put your ammo in an unmarked cardboard box, address it to your new address using UPS Online, and handwrite with a marker "ORM-D". Hand it to a UPS driver that you see driving around on that day or any day thereafter. 

Good advice - Though I actually take it to the UPS Shipping Center (a UPS Store won't take it) 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fairly positive would be covered under FOPA... but in any case, I have yet to have ANY TSA or clerk check ammunition. 

Btw, is the declare ammunition thing new?  I thought it was only firearms.  I am fairly positive in the past I just threw in ammo in the checked bag without declaring it.  As long as it was in a box and not loose, you were okay.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maksim said:

 

Btw, is the declare ammunition thing new?  I thought it was only firearms.  I am fairly positive in the past I just threw in ammo in the checked bag without declaring it.  As long as it was in a box and not loose, you were okay.

Right, the language in this 2018 news issued by TSA had me concerned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Maksim said:

Fairly positive would be covered under FOPA... but in any case, I have yet to have ANY TSA or clerk check ammunition. 

I would imagine as well.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, i003017 said:

Right, the language in this 2018 news issued by TSA had me concerned.

 

18 minutes ago, Bully said:

I would imagine as well.

So I was thinking about it wondering when I last flew with Ammo.

It was last month.  Flew with a half full box of 6.5 PRC ammo in original Hornady box.  Never declared, went into checked back, no issues.

I would say look at the airline policies. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I flew from Kalamazoo to EWR for christmas.  The TSA there were going through my laptop bag for about 15 minutes.  They finally pulled out a loose rifle round that found its way to the bottom under all the crap I haul around.  Must have been in there for years and dozens of xray checks all over the country.

I had no idea it was in there, but the TSA screener almost had a heart attack while he was holding it in his hand.  I was a bit surprised by the over-reaction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AlDente67 said:

... the TSA screener almost had a heart attack while he was holding it in his hand.  I was a bit surprised by the over-reaction.

They do tend to over-react.   I had one go absolutely apoplectic because my wife had packed her small bottles of shampoo and conditioner in a 1-gallon clear ziplock bag, instead of the specified 1-quart clear ziplock bag.   He was holding up her bag along with  a quart bag and loudly lecturing her and anyone within earshot about the obvious, critical difference between them, and how she'd better learn how to tell them apart and make the right choices next time and airline safety isn't a joke and....

I was going to intervene, when I noticed that he'd let my forgotten 1-liter water bottle, in an obvious, external mesh pocket of my backpack, go right through his screening.   So I just stepped in really close, pretending to listen to his lecture, while I opened the bottle and began to drink, not 18" from his face.     He never noticed...

Yeah, those idiots make me feel a lot safer.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 10X said:

They do tend to over-react.   I had one go absolutely apoplectic because my wife had packed her small bottles of shampoo and conditioner in a 1-gallon clear ziplock bag, instead of the specified 1-quart clear ziplock bag.   He was holding up her bag along with  a quart bag and loudly lecturing her and anyone within earshot about the obvious, critical difference between them, and how she'd better learn how do tell them apart and make the right choices next time and airline safety isn't a joke and....

I was going to intervene, when I noticed that he'd let my forgotten 1-liter water bottle, in an obvious, external mesh pocket of my backpack, go right through his screening.   So I just stepped in really close, pretending to listen to his lecture, while I opened the bottle and began to drink, not 18" from his face.     He never noticed...

Yeah, those idiots make me feel a lot safer.

Lol, my EWR story is getting the lecture for having a small box of 5 safety blades for my razor.... had to toss them. 

When I arrived in Vegas I discovered they missed an HK pocket knife in my messenger bag. 

  • Crazy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does TSA ask to see ammo during firearm declaration process?  2018 news from TSA says: 

"At the airport during the check-in process, a passenger needs to go to the airline ticket counter to declare the firearm, ammunition and any firearm parts."

When I traveled out of Newark in October 2018, I had my firearm in a locked case in my checked bag, and my ammo (hollow points included) in a separate locked box.  In Newark; I filled out the firearms declaration form per the procedure, gave my bag to the check-in agent, and was given the all clear a few minutes later. No one from the TSA even asked me to open the case, which I thought was weird.  I believe the ran it through an X-ray machine and everything appeared fine.

On my way back however (from Charlotte); I was accompanied by a TSA agent to a back room where he had me open the locked container with my firearm so he could check for any ammunition in my gun case. I simply indicated that my ammo was in the separate locked box and that was it. No stray rounds in the gun case and all was good. Nice guy as well.   No one asked me at any point to open the locked box containing my ammo, nor did anyone ask about what type of ammo I had.  Hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2019 at 8:25 AM, i003017 said:

 

Does TSA ask to see ammo during firearm declaration process?  2018 news from TSA says:

 

Thank you for any help.  I haven't been able to find a good answer.  Some folks say absolutely cannot and others say not a problem at all.

 

No, they do not.

And I can not tell you how many baggage belt to restroom, to holster up, lock and I did... its that many.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually get hassled by airport security for whatever reason. They don't like me in general.  However, I did get super hassled for getting their attention to point out to them that their metal detector was unplugged. Yes, EWR. 

They are super competent there, always. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information