Lavid2002

How long for my refrences to get back?

I applied for my FID card on the 8th. About 4 days ago my refrences called me and told me they had received the letter and they promptly sent it back (I bribed them to do so with a salmon dinner, Im in culinary school) They did so and im curious. After the references send the forms back....how long does it take to get the FID?

Keep calling. the last is 30 days, but often times, it is just one officer who is in charge of doing them and they get swamped.

As long as your references sent the things back, they are waiting for the things to come back from state police/fbi. It is out of your control now. Keep calling every week to check up. Make sure you have a copy of what your friends/relatives sent in.

And when you call in, just be polite and dont forget the thank you's. Even though you have the right to be mad it is taking over 30 days, trust me.... IT WILL NOT HELP YOUR CASE.

Like others have said it truly depends on the town. It would be a safe assumption to say 2-3 months average, although some people have waited over 4 damn months. Following up to make sure the township received you references forms is good, but I think after that it goes to State and it is a little harder to follow up.

Im in culinary school

I always wanted to enroll but my wife won't let me touch our stove. I had a friend working for the Food TV network years back and we attended several Emerill Live tapings. Nothing like watching a really great chef go through the paces making it look really easy. But as my wife is an outstanding cook, that promise would not sway me in the least. :mrgreen:

As for the turn around time, so many factors can influence the times that it is useless trying to get an idea of the approval dates.

Not that the Mental Health form was thrown into the mix, more administrative details can slow down the process. Prints still take from four to six weeks on the average. Then some reference letters are returned quickly, some not. Some department, mine included at times only mail in the prints and forms once a week or so. Civilians handle a large part of the process in larger departments.

Then for the most part (my department included) do not have a dedicated officer processing the forms. Not with even more coming through, you can bet that the time to turn them around is even greater. As it isn't their primary function, forms can sit for a while when other criminal matters take precedence. It doesn't take much to get behind in processing, investigation and review. Thankfully once you are issued the SBI number the process becomes much quicker to complete.

The biggest problem you have in my department is that the Detective doing the processing will want to talk about what you bought, intend to buy or try to debate the quality of what you are buying endlessly.

Since there arent any set procedures, some places wit to get the references back before sending in the background others send the background in right away. With the backlog, that NJSPBCI has right now, and the requirement for a new background with every transaction, the 30 day window is physically impossible right now sad to say.

I was just looking at the form and was wondering if anyone on here has filled it out that wasn't a U.S. citizen. I'm still a Canuckle head have my greencard though. Will they deny me b/c I am not a citizen? Also I got a DUI when I was 17, will they deny me b/c I haven't had that expunged yet? Wow I can hardly wait to move to NJ :roll:

One of my references is a Atlantic City Police Officer, and the other is retired military. I hope this expedites the process.

Also I got a DUI when I was 17, will they deny me b/c I haven't had that expunged yet?

Thats hardcore dude...howd u manage that?

sadly enough I was under the legal limit(for adults) and was being the DD for the night for a party I was throwing. I had a three beers and drove hours later and since it was July 4th weekend I got pulled over for doing 3 mph over the speed limit and given a DUI to pad their numbers. Yup I'm a horrible bad person!! :roll: even though after that I served in the U.S. Army and now hold a CCW in Colorado and carry everyday. Got to love those black marks. :x

sadly enough I was under the legal limit(for adults) and was being the DD for the night for a party I was throwing. I had a three beers and drove hours later and since it was July 4th weekend I got pulled over for doing 3 mph over the speed limit and given a DUI to pad their numbers. Yup I'm a horrible bad person!! :roll: even though after that I served in the U.S. Army and now hold a CCW in Colorado and carry everyday. Got to love those black marks. :x

That SUCKS! I never drink if im the DD bro, not even a few. Thats why im hardly ever the DD :p

This guy I know had THREE count em...THREE DUI's and he got his FID. I couldnt believe it. You'll most likely get yours dude. Dont worry.

I called yesterday to see if he got my references back....no dice. He didnt answer the phone. Ill try again in 3 weeks :p

My friends have a very good relationship with our township PD, and they told us that the NJ State domestic violence records search is what holds up their permit processing. My buddy's last handgun purchase permits came in around 35 days, with fast reference returns.

One of my references just asked me if it was important that he sent it back (duh! last time I use him), so I'm probably going to end up taking more time. I applied on 4/18/09 for 2 purchase permits, so I'm at ~17 days....

part of hte process here, was that when I came in with FID apps and all, while the detective would go over paperwork, I adressed and fill out the refrence envelope on the stop. It would be sealed and sent off the same day I dropped off the fid apps.

Plus, my delinquent buddy, who knows me well but does not appreciate firearms, calls me and says "Is it significant that I'm getting your recommendation to buy assault weapons on the 10th anniversary of Columbine?"

Oops.

I didn't bother to explain that they were pistol purchase permits and not AW permits....