applied on the Th of April

Call back after the first snowfall. The state is jammed with processing the applications at a time when OT is banned. No way they are adding personnel in an already shorthanded department. During 9/11 they took everyone out of the admin details and put them on the road. That was a real backlog. Smaller towns get to them when they have the time so just have patience.

In June of last year, I moved from Cliffside Park, NJ to Teaneck, NJ. In July, my wife and I went over to the PD to get our FID cards updated w/ the town and also applied for 3 handgun permits. I received everything on Jan 06 of this year. One of my handgun permits expired and went and spoke w/ the officer to get an extension. I have to say, the officer who handles the firearms processing is a good guy. I have no complaints on him. When I was there to pick up the updated permit, he mentioned that Teaneck was cutting their PD by 1/4 and future permits were expected to take a lot longer. I think a lot of towns are going through this now as economic pressures force municipal cutbacks.

Keep being the nice guy with your PD. There is no way around it that I know of.

Im waiting for mine too brotha, applied on the 8th of april : ( I WANT IT SO BAD!

I applied for 3 pp's on 4/7, called the pd today because none of my references have been contacted - I have not even been entered into the computer yet! Owning firearms in this country is not a privilege like so many other things (driving, hunting, etc) it's a right, guaranteed under the bill of rights to the US Constitution. My RIGHTS are being violated, I wonder (ha ha) if the ACLU would be interested?

Did you check to make sure the reference information was received by the township? Hang in there, it's a sucky thing to wait, but in the end it's worth it.

When I called last week they had everything just waiting to have the captain sign off on everything. I will call tomorrow and be extra polite.

-Scott

Called local PD today....they still have all my paperword(surprise surprise) and the detective that handles the FID's is reviewing everything. I was told it should only be another week or two. This whole process is rediculous. I may be wrong but why is it that any joe blow in any other state but NJ can walk into a gun shop buy a gun return in a few days and its theirs but here law biding citizens have to wait almost THREE MONTHES and still not have a straight answer as to when they will be able to pick up their paperwork!?!?!? :x

Is it me or does NJ figure out a way to SCREW everything up? :roll:

Rant over..... :|

-Scott

Apparently you haven't tried the that many states. NJ has allowed freedoms not even thought of in MA. You don't have to buy from a approved list that many has half of the produced firearms. Many manufacturers are not selling in the state. NO ONE will ship anything into the state. That means a bullet, a cartridge case or a gun part. ZERO........ Other states are just as bad. As permits requests go up and manpower goes down, did you really expect the process to speed up? It might is they charged what they do in MA. And the permits are good for only four years when a renewal process begins. All for a few hundred dollars.

Apparently you haven't tried the that many states. NJ has allowed freedoms not even thought of in MA. You don't have to buy from a approved list that many has half of the produced firearms. Many manufacturers are not selling in the state. NO ONE will ship anything into the state. That means a bullet, a cartridge case or a gun part. ZERO........ Other states are just as bad. As permits requests go up and manpower goes down, did you really expect the process to speed up? It might is they charged what they do in MA. And the permits are good for only four years when a renewal process begins. All for a few hundred dollars.

Agreed, We do have some pretty dumb laws but there are definately worse places and even dumber laws.

I didnt know that about MA....

My main complaint with all this is that if it cant be done in a certain time frame dont say it will be. The state should eliminate the statute that says the process should take no longer then 30 days because not many, if any, have recieved theirs in 30 days.

Also, my local PD shouldnt have started with a time frame of 6-8 weeks and tell me know "a week or two" when I call every week. If they told me it was gunna be a 12 week process I would have still filed my paperwork but I wouldnt get as aggrivated as I am now that we are about to double the original time frame. See my frustration?

-Scott

I couldn't even get a FID card for my new officers coming on the job. the statute was written back in 1965 or so and never updated. I really don't think anyone actually pays attention to it. Anyone who knows anything about applying or anyone who has applied gets the more realistic assessment of the time frame. In the past few months it has gotten much worse.

Scott,

I agree with you 100% If i am told 2-4 weeks then dont be pist when i keep calling during weeks 5-10.

Scott it took me excatly 8 weeks for me to get the call from Berkeley twp that my permits were ready. Just an FYI my dad who lives in Toms River has been waiting over 5 months.

I didnt know that about MA....

My main complaint with all this is that if it cant be done in a certain time frame dont say it will be. The state should eliminate the statute that says the process should take no longer then 30 days because not many, if any, have recieved theirs in 30 days.

Also, my local PD shouldnt have started with a time frame of 6-8 weeks and tell me know "a week or two" when I call every week. If they told me it was gunna be a 12 week process I would have still filed my paperwork but I wouldnt get as aggrivated as I am now that we are about to double the original time frame. See my frustration?

-Scott

I found in my dept. eight weeks was about the norm, barring any unforeseen hangups. Five months is really on the high side. Unless the prints were unreadable and had to be redone, the turnaround time in tha past was about four to six weeks. That is always the biggest holdup with the process.

Scott,

I agree with you 100% If i am told 2-4 weeks then dont be pist when i keep calling during weeks 5-10.

Scott it took me excatly 8 weeks for me to get the call from Berkeley twp that my permits were ready. Just an FYI my dad who lives in Toms River has been waiting over 5 months.

If you dont mind me asking....How long ago did you apply in Berkeley?

-Scott

I couldn't even get a FID card for my new officers coming on the job. the statute was written back in 1965 or so and never updated. I really don't think anyone actually pays attention to it. Anyone who knows anything about applying or anyone who has applied gets the more realistic assessment of the time frame. In the past few months it has gotten much worse.

I understand the statute is out dated and not realistic anymore I just think the PD's should try to be more accurate with their time frames. Im in the sales field and have been for sometime now. I have come to learn their is a much better relationship between me and the customer when I tell them one time frame and I get it done sooner rather then telling one time frame and it ends up taking double the time. I try to give realistic time frames and see the satisfaction from the customer when completing the job ahead of schedule. Its not always the best to tell someone what they want to hear rather then telling them the realistic outcome.

-Scott

PD's should try to be more accurate with their time frames

How can they?

They have no idea how long the prints will take to be returned.

They have no idea how long and if the reference letters will be returned.

They have no idea what the workload of the investigators will be when the applications come in.

Any of the above can affect the turn around time. It's only going to get worse as the state will be pulling people out of service and admin functions to work the road as classes are being canceled. Right after 9/11 the turn around time tripled. So why bother quoting a time when they have no idea and can't control those variables. Would it really make anyone happier to just say "six months" and leave it at that? Processing applications isn't anywhere near the top of the priorities in a department, especially the smaller ones.

Come on....I thought it was your turn, rscalzo, to rub my back and tell me everything is gunna be ok! :lol:

Your right, absolutely right. I'm just frustrated thats all. Once I get the call all these rants will stop from me, that is till I go to pick up my FID and PP and put in for two more PP's! :D

-Scott

Just thought i would vent somemore.....

Spoke with the detective that handles all the FIDs in my town. Come to find out he has over 200 apps on his desk. He did take my name and said he hopes to clear his desk within a week so we will see . He was a nice guy and definitely seemed overloaded with work.

-Scott

Hey Bad! Welcome to the forum....

I'd love to tell you that 6+ months is out of the ordinary, but unfortunatley its not these days. Seems more like the norm. Some towns get it to you extremely fast within 1 or 2 months while others take up to 6 or more. What town do you live in? Which brings me to the next topic of introductions, post a new topic and tell us about yourself if you like. :) Firearms history (if any), where you are from, what kind of shooting you like to do, etc.

Chad, thanks for the welcome. I posted a little about myself in there. Its probably for the best right now that I have not gotten it back, it has given me a chance to save some money and start to fix up a truck I bought to daily drive, and hopefully when I get the FID I can have enough money to pick up something nice.

19weeks of waiting as still going strong! The PD told me its on the Chiefs desk and waiting to be signed....that was two days ago. I call twice a day now to see when the Chief gets in(thats a cushy job too btw) and the end of the day to see if mine was signed yet.

No wonder why my local PD is taking 19weeks to process....it has supposively been on the Chiefs desk for two days without a signature yet. I have always heard that things start from the top and continue down the line and this is a perfect example of that.

BTW bad64chevelle, where do you live?

-Scott