Scottcba1

Ruger SR9

Ok I am hoping that my local PD will be calling any day for me to go pickup my permits so I am trying to narrow my first 9mm down. Has anyone had any time handling a Ruger SR9?

I know NJChiroDoc has already offered for me to go shoot his but I want to get as many opinions on this gun as I can. Let me know the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I have read a ton of info on these guns and I do know about the recalls and how they were/are handled by Ruger. Any info is greatly appreciated!

-Scott

You have to feel how it fits you. the ruger is a good firearm, just not for my taste. The feel is not the one I am in love with. It is a great value though.

Other options for a 9mm, beretta 92fs, xd 9mm, cz/eaa/baby eagle/browning hi power,

I'm thinking the same thing.......SR9 or a XD. I have not read a bad review about the SR9. Go on youtube and search "nutnfancy". He does great reviews, guns and knives etc. He did a table top review on the SR9, Check it out.

here is the link, http://www.youtube.com/user/nutnfancy

hope this helps

rich

Thanks for that link I will check it out right now.

I shot the xd-9 and liked it alot. The safety in the handle as well as on the trigger are nice and the gun was very accurate. I want to shoot the SR9 before making any purchases though.

-Scott

I have only held them not shot. It was a very comfortable feel. The trigger was rough, gritty and heavy. Probably smooth out over time.

Your absolutely right....the trigger was rough and heavy when I was dry firing one at SS yesterday. I liked the style and how it felt, I hope it shoots how it looks and like you said hopefully it smooths out after a few rounds. I read and article the said it only took 100 rounds for the gun to really settle in and smooth out.

Maybe NJChiroDoc can give us some insite on that.....

-Scott

You have to feel how it fits you. the ruger is a good firearm, just not for my taste. The feel is not the one I am in love with. It is a great value though.

Other options for a 9mm, beretta 92fs, xd 9mm, cz/eaa/baby eagle/browning hi power,

Not a huge fan of the 92fs, but I do like how the px storm 9mm looks. Ever handle/fire one of those?

-Scott

Not a huge fan of the 92fs, but I do like how the px storm 9mm looks. Ever handle/fire one of those?

-Scott

I own all three (92FS, Px4, and SR9) and anyone would be an excellent choice. The SR9 is the cheapest of the three so if money is an issue then it's your baby. The only two complaints I have are the ugly 10 round mags and the trigger pull. It's a little mushy and the trigger saftey feels weird. I also own an XD 45 tactical with the same trigger saftey and if feels much better.

I own all three (92FS, Px4, and SR9) and anyone would be an excellent choice. The SR9 is the cheapest of the three so if money is an issue then it's your baby. The only two complaints I have are the ugly 10 round mags and the trigger pull. It's a little mushy and the trigger saftey feels weird. I also own an XD 45 tactical with the same trigger saftey and if feels much better.

I thought the SR9 came with either 17, 15, or 10round mags depending on local laws where they are being sold/bought? NJ is 15round max mags correct?

Any complaints on the PX4? Thicker frame then the SR9?

-Scott

I'm thinking the same thing.......SR9 or a XD. I have not read a bad review about the SR9. Go on youtube and search "nutnfancy". He does great reviews, guns and knives etc. He did a table top review on the SR9, Check it out.

hope this helps

rich

Rich,

Thank you very much for the link! I sat here and watched all 3 parts and I liked the SR9 before these videos and I like it even more now! :mrgreen:

-Scott

I have never thought the trigger was heavy at all. I think it has a nice pull that can be staged. If you are going to accurance you can pull the tigger back so far hold your breath and take the shot. As far as rapid fire. I have gotten groups just smaller than my palm 10rds as quick as I can get them out of the gun. I love my XD but. If NJ goes CCW this will be my carry gun at first. When I shot the XD SC it was horrible. I would need alot of practice to compensate for the short barrle.

I own all three (92FS, Px4, and SR9)

Not to hijack the thread, but what is your opinion (fit & firing) of the Beretta PX4? When I was choosing handguns it was between the PX4 and the Walther P99. I went with the P99 because it felt better in my hand but the PX4 is, also, extremely comfortable.

hope this helps

rich

Rich,

Thank you very much for the link! I sat here and watched all 3 parts and I liked the SR9 before these videos and I like it even more now! :mrgreen:

-Scott

There is more....He does a table top review and a shoot review in the desert with the SR9. (6 vids total)

He has over 400 vids. 61 just hand guns alone.

I have never thought the trigger was heavy at all. I think it has a nice pull that can be staged. If you are going to accurance you can pull the tigger back so far hold your breath and take the shot. As far as rapid fire. I have gotten groups just smaller than my palm 10rds as quick as I can get them out of the gun. I love my XD but. If NJ goes CCW this will be my carry gun at first. When I shot the XD SC it was horrible. I would need alot of practice to compensate for the short barrle.

The videos I watched last night did say they the SR9 is very accurate and has great grouping ability even with rapid fire do to the design and how it sits in your hands. I cant wait to get my hands on one to see how well I do with it!

Thanks for the great info!

-Scott

I own all three (92FS, Px4, and SR9)

Not to hijack the thread, but what is your opinion (fit & firing) of the Beretta PX4? When I was choosing handguns it was between the PX4 and the Walther P99. I went with the P99 because it felt better in my hand but the PX4 is, also, extremely comfortable.

I really like the Px4. I put a Hogue hand-all grip over mine because I like finger grooves on pistols. The grip frame is a little smaller on the SR9 compared to the Px4. They don't make 15 rounder's for the SR9, I've been looking. But Beretta makes 10, 15, 17, 20 and a +2 extender for the Px4 if your going out of state.

Not to boast but I also own an XD 45 tactical and love it. If I had a little extra money I'd be getting an XD 9 SC. XD's are also great pistols.

Thanks for the clarification.... :? Little dissappointed. Im almost sure the SR9 at SS had a 17round mag in it....oh well. I guess they would swap it out for a 10round mag when sold to be legal. Thanks though.

-Scott

Did you buy and SR9 from the Bullet Hole?

I knew the Bullet Hole had one stainless so I went down there to buy it because you had me thinking about it so much, plus it would be good for my wife with the thin frame and my PP will expire soon. BUUUUUT it was gone.....sold the day before.

ole well.......... So I ordered one!

I spoke to the people at silver bullet and they said they can make 17rd mags 15.

cool but can they make 10rd into 15rd.........Should be the same deal.

unless we buy the 17rd mag out of state to convert.

You can't due to the giant piece of solid plastic on the bottem of the magazine. It maxes out the space so you can only fit the 10 rounds and the spring.

You can't due to the giant piece of solid plastic on the bottem of the magazine. It maxes out the space so you can only fit the 10 rounds and the spring.

yep but the place he was talking about most likely makes a new piece (aka piece of solid plastic) and spring to fit 15rds. The size if the mag stays the same, they make new "guts".

I was just say'n because we would have 10rd's buying the gun in NJ (from NJChiroDoc's reply). Cut down or replace the plastic "block" and change to a longer spring. If enough people ask for it someone will make it.

Just like the XDM, 19+ 1....not in NJ. I called Springfield and they said as of now they have no intentions of making lesser cap mags. :cry:

Did you buy and SR9 from the Bullet Hole?

I knew the Bullet Hole had one stainless so I went down there to buy it because you had me thinking about it so much, plus it would be good for my wife with the thin frame and my PP will expire soon. BUUUUUT it was gone.....sold the day before.

ole well.......... So I ordered one!

Nope it wasnt me....I still dont have my permits. I have never been to the bullet hole, where is it? How much are they ordering your gun for and how long till it comes in?

-Scott

The Bullet Hole is in Belleville NJ, 78 Rutgers st. right off Rt21 just north of Newark.......http://www.bulletholenj.com Phone (973) 759-3968

I think it was $477.00 for Stainless slide, They do have a all black one there. At least Friday they did..... not sure what they were asking for that one. I was in Alabama last week they had one for $487.00. Some mail order places like impact Guns in Ogden, Utah(http://www.impactguns.com) have them for $439.00 + FFL paper work fee. They are all close in price, I believe in supporting your local Gun shop/Range.

Bullet Hole and Gun for Hire has been so good to me and my wife I will buy it from them. :D

As far as time, With in a week she said

Rich