Maksim

Relationship question...

So we all know firearms is a love it or hate it topic...

Here is one for you... when would you bring it up... your urge to shoot off some rounds...

and would you be involved in a relationship with someone who is not an avid gun supporter, or has no understanding of the fundamentals whose knowledge is restricted to hearsay from a liberal arts school.

My fiance was against me purchasing a gun but dealt with it when i did. She also wouldn't touch it our handle it for about 2 months

She finally went to the range with me and is okay with it. She says she would go to the range once in a while but doesn't see it as a hobby or a fun thing to do.

My other hobby is racing (moderately expensive) race cars. Those of us who are happily married and still remain active at the track either have wives that also enjoy race cars, or wives who are happy to have husbands with hobbies that make them happy. My wife is of the second category. She doesn't particularly care for (or particularly dislike, for that matter) race cars or guns, but is happy to see my enjoying a hobby. My hobbies don't get in the way (too often) of quality time with her and my son, and don't take away money that we need for retirement or for the bills, so she's happy that I'm having fun. Similarly, when she (very, very rarely) wants to spend some money on a hobby or project of hers, I don't give her a hard time.

If your spouse is going to begrudge you hobbies which shouldn't otherwise affect the quality of your lives together, it may be a warning sign. Do you really want to spend time with someone who can't be happy that you are having fun or enjoy something, even if they themselves don't enjoy it?

There are a few guys at the track like this. They talk about having to hide their purchases for their cars, about getting yelled at for going to the race track for a day, etc, and they are generally miserable guys. Some eventually get divorced, some just accept their woeful lot in life, but they're all not happy.

I don't think you need to find someone who also enjoys shooting, you just need to find someone who doesn't mind that you enjoy shooting.

-Melgamatic

My ex-wife hated anything and everything related to firearms. That's why she's my ex-wife. Well, maybe there were a few other things involved. My new-and-improved wife is kind of middle to right on the issue. She hits the range with me about twice a year. She never gives me a hard time about it. She just says go ahead and do your boy stuff.

It can sometimes be a volatile topic especially from someone who has only had only negative exposure to the issue.

I just recently explained to someone that NJ Gun Law states that "an individual is assumed to be in violation of the law unless they can prove otherwise". Kind of like Guilty until proven Innocent. I take that back, not "Kind Of", "Exactly" like Guilty until proven Innocent.

While the term "Innocent until proven Guilty" is not even mentioned in our Constitution (Go ahead, check) It is a common law practice in all democratic countries. The person I mentioned above saw no problem with the NJ law, stating that guns are bad and they kill people. This person has a Masters Degree and is very intelligent. I'm usually pretty good with the power of reasoning but it was like speaking to a 3-year-old who wanted candy off the rack at a supermarket check-out aisle.

People like this may never change. When it's a "Right" that they care about, their story usually changes.

As far as finding a mate, your best bet would be to get a date at the Republican Convention or the Shot Show. :lol:

Unfortunately I got married before I really got into shooting and collecting. My wife does not like my guns nor money spent on them. She never wanted them in the house, well I won't be in the house much longer either. I may have to sell some to raise a grub stake to move out. So keep your eyes open for some deals.

TC

Unfortunately I got married before I really got into shooting and collecting. My wife does not like my guns nor money spent on them. She never wanted them in the house, well I won't be in the house much longer either. I may have to sell some to raise a grub stake to move out. So keep your eyes open for some deals.

TC

I am sorry to hear that. I hope things work out for you.

TC

I wish you well, TC!

The transition from girlfriend-finance-wife was accompanied with unaware-informed-accepted, when it came to firearm related issues. Her parents view firearms like the rest of NJ, so it was a tough sell initially.

Fast forward to today, and she comes to the range 4-6 times a year, and enjoys herself. I think one important point that was brought up is that if she can accept the funds related to this hobby (weapons, ammo, accessories, range fees, etc.) then you can't complain when she buys herself an expensive item (purse, shoes, clothes, whatever it is she collects).

Sorry to hear about your situation Tank.

if she can accept the funds related to this hobby (weapons, ammo, accessories, range fees, etc.) then you can't complain when she herself an expensive item (purse, shoes, clothes, whatever it is she collects).

My woman isn't the type to go out and buy expensive items for herself, but I make sure to gift her here and there whenever I make a bunch of purchases. ;)

I was lucky enought to marry a girl who's father was the range master at a police department, an avid hunter and gun collector. She has been around guns all her life and loves to shoot. Before she came along I have been in relationships with girls who didn't like guns. No matter how I tried to explain it to them, it just didn't sink in. I think for most LEGAL gun owners, our firearms mean alot to us. However funny it may sound, I think we take pride in caring for them, cleaning them, and preserving them. We pay alot of money for them, and for someone just to just not "get it" is like a slap in the face. I could live with my wife not "enjoying" them, but I could not live with her not "liking" them, or not allowing them in the house. Thats why my ex's are my ex's and thats also why I did this...

I was lucky enought to marry a girl who's father was the range master at a police department, an avid hunter and gun collector. She has been around guns all her life and loves to shoot. Before she came along I have been in relationships with girls who didn't like guns. No matter how I tried to explain it to them, it just didn't sink in. I think for most LEGAL gun owners, our firearms mean alot to us. However funny it may sound, I think we take pride in caring for them, cleaning them, and preserving them. We pay alot of money for them, and for someone just to just not "get it" is like a slap in the face. I could live with my wife not "enjoying" them, but I could not live with her not "liking" them, or not allowing them in the house. Thats why my ex's are my ex's and thats also why I did this...

Compliments to the chef! Best to the both of you! :D

Here are pics of my woman shooting my Savage .243 bolt last summer up on my hunting property in Greene, NY. She's a bad a$$:

n668785317_1455654_2638.jpg

n668785317_1455653_2377.jpg

Posing with her first shot from 50 yards and my glasses.

n668785317_1455657_3391.jpg

On the quad.

n668785317_1455656_3137.jpg

Me taking some shots.

n668785317_1455651_1361.jpg

Richie,

Here are pics of my woman shooting my Savage .243 bolt last summer up on my hunting property in Greene, NY. She's a bad a$$:

thumb.gif

I may have found the model I've been looking for.

K

My other hobby is racing (moderately expensive) race cars. Those of us who are happily married and still remain active at the track either have wives that also enjoy race cars, or wives who are happy to have husbands with hobbies that make them happy. My wife is of the second category. She doesn't particularly care for (or particularly dislike, for that matter) race cars or guns, but is happy to see my enjoying a hobby. My hobbies don't get in the way (too often) of quality time with her and my son, and don't take away money that we need for retirement or for the bills, so she's happy that I'm having fun. Similarly, when she (very, very rarely) wants to spend some money on a hobby or project of hers, I don't give her a hard time.

If your spouse is going to begrudge you hobbies which shouldn't otherwise affect the quality of your lives together, it may be a warning sign. Do you really want to spend time with someone who can't be happy that you are having fun or enjoy something, even if they themselves don't enjoy it?

There are a few guys at the track like this. They talk about having to hide their purchases for their cars, about getting yelled at for going to the race track for a day, etc, and they are generally miserable guys. Some eventually get divorced, some just accept their woeful lot in life, but they're all not happy.

I don't think you need to find someone who also enjoys shooting, you just need to find someone who doesn't mind that you enjoy shooting.

-Melgamatic

I agree with you on this topic.

I also am involved in racing boats, have been since 1989. both of my boys race.

my wife goes but does not watch the boy's race when it is over she ask's how they did. she does peek sometimes..we also video all their races.

here is a vid of the boy in chatanooga tn, the boy was pouring it on started in the outside lane

white boat pink stripe.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/extr ... 143749.htm