Ray Ray

anyone use a shotgun for home defense?

Remington 870 Tactical with 6+1 combination. Have a side saddle with 6 as well. All 00 buck.

I also have a 1911 within reach with night sights. I hope to augment that with a Glock 19 with night sights and a light.

I need to get a light.

I think a light is critical in any SD application.

Also beyond the law aspect why are some so concerned about a magfed shotgun and small fingers?

Not to sound less than Saftey concious but can a toddler finger the may latch and rack a round??

I DO NOT advocate any loaded firearms in a home due to the laws of NJ. Sucks to be here.

If I could I would have my mossberg 500 loaded in the may with 00buck and the speedfeed stock with slugs for the rampaging bear.

The 45 as a backup weapon.

Just saying @ if @ the law allowed.

The law doesn't allow the storage of loaded firearms in the home? How can such a thing even be enforceable??

The law doesn't allow the storage of loaded firearms in the home? How can such a thing even be enforceable??

It is the law....paraphrase..something like leaving a loaded gun in a home with children under 18 is ..or criminal offense, punishable by a fine and imprisonment, to leave a loaded firearm within easy access of a minor (anyone under the age of 16), or something like that...

Enforceable....hmmm not sure...but if God forbid someone gets shot in your home.....let's say self defense...you better have a story on how you got the gun...unlocked it...loaded it....and fired it...

What if no one under 18 resides in the home?

What if no one under 18 resides in the home?

I do not know??

within easy access of a minor

that's the key - what's easy access? If I have a safe, can I consider that not 'easy access'? I interpret it that way, but some anti2a persecutor might not.

Well if it is locked in a safe....it makes it kinda hard to get to in an emergency doesn't it?? :|

If it's electronic or biometric, no, if it's a combo dial, yeah.

I have THIS light mounted on my HD SG, I was very apprehensive at first about reliability because of how inexpensive it was. I have put at least 500 rounds thru my mossberg 590 with this light mounted on it and not once have I had a problem.

file.php?id=188

Chad - couple questions: Is your 590 a 20" or 18.5" barrel? Also, did the heat shield come with it, or did you add that yourself? I'm trying to find a 18.5" 590 with a heat shield and not having much luck

Hey Caine....The 590 does have a 20" bbl. I added the head sheild myself. Mostly everyone will tell you it is impossible to add a heat sheild to a shotgun that has ghost ring sights. It is not difficult, just takes some persistance, and some un-conventional methods....but it works. Its on, with no damage to gun, bbl, or heat sheild. ;) The only 500/590 with a heat sheild and a 18.5' bbl I've seen has a pistol grip on it. HERE is their website ... there are a bunch of models.

Keep the pistol grips off of the mossbergs. The tang safety is not easily negotiated with a pistol grip. Unless you get a Maverick with a crossbolt safety.

Agreed....I only have a pistol grip (ar style) on my 870's. The small pistol grip on that other 870 just about renders the gun useless, but that stays in a special place where that size is needed. ;)

Yeah, not interested in a pistol grip Mossy - I'm trying to force myself to shoot long guns left handed since i'm left eye dominant. I wanted an 870 originally, but the safety on the 870 doesn't really lend itself to left hand manipulations. So, 590 seems to be the way to go with its ambidextrous safety position.

Shortly after writing my post above, i found a brief "how to" on shotgunworld for installing a heat shield on a 590. Guess it's just a matter of finding a configuration I like and then finding a heatshield and doing it myself. The wife is gonna kill me :lol:

lol...tell her you are concerned for HER safety, and being the man of the house you feel the need to protect her at all costs. And you can always throw in, "you mean the world to me, I don't know what I would ever do without you". :lol:

That worked twice for me.....but she doesn't buy that crap anymore.

As a left handed shooter, tang safeties are the way to go. Sure wish remmy came out with one.

HAHA I pulled something similar to get the AR - "Honey - the zombies! We have to be ready!" :lol: unfortunately the AR cost about 3 times as much as I'm looking to spend on a shotty, so not sure I can try it a second time haha

In all seriousness, she's actually pretty understanding.. I just gotta ease into telling her.. after I cook her a nice dinner of course LOL

HAHA I pulled something similar to get the AR - "Honey - the zombies! We have to be ready!" :lol: unfortunately the AR cost about 3 times as much as I'm looking to spend on a shotty, so not sure I can try it a second time haha

In all seriousness, she's actually pretty understanding.. I just gotta ease into telling her.. after I cook her a nice dinner of course LOL

Well, you can always say that you just realized that a .223 might be too much over penetration. You could risk injuring someone else trying to defend the love of your life. A shotgun will be much safer, especially inside your home, she's to precious to you to risk it. Try the "I have to be responsible about this" approach. You never know, it may work. Good Luck, stay strong, and remember we are here as a support group for WAP (Wives Agains Purchases) ;)

Oh, one more thing, if she starts giving you a bunch or crap, just say you have to go to the bathroom. Sit in there for a few hours, like I do...watch TV, play with the water, organize the vanity, read every single label on every single bottle...etc. By the time you come out, she'll have forgotten all about it. Then, ask her if she has ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight. She will then think your absolutely crazy, and she'll tell you to go to bed. :D

chad you messed me up.......i tried that bathroom thing and now my legs are num.......wtf.....every time i try to get off the toilet i almost fall down so i sit back down....might have to call 911 or something....can't feel my legs.......my wife is already asleep.......oh god....... :x

Very nice Ray!! Any thought to adding a light?

Actually yes, but it's not a priority right now. Good ones are expensive and I don't want to be cheap. Maybe Christmas I'll ask for one.

Not loaded meaning nothing in the mag tube or nothing in the chamber? Are those 00 buck?

Yup, Hornady TAP 00 Buck. I like a lot of Hornady's ammo. I use the 45 +P 230 grainers in my XD.