Sign in to follow this  
Chad

HP Ammo?

In reality, any bullet will expand upon impact. Just depends on the object it strikes and the bullet composition.

As I said, a lead SWC is one of the best defensive rounds as the flat nose will expend somewhat, even in soft tissue. Many of the well known HP ammos will not. 147 grain 9mm and most 230 grain 45ACP are too slow to do so yet they are banned. The definition is so broad that almost anything can fit the bill. A FMJ would be the last type to fall under that term "dum-dum". By definition, the bullets produced in that Indian armory were of a hollow point or soft point design. Yet the military has an approved hp round in the Mk262 Mod 0 and 1 which uses the Sierra Matrchking bullet for Special Operations. The HP tip does not expand thus allowed. So the waters are even muddier.

The law as written never considered this type of ammo being relatively new to the market. That was the reason it came up at the meeting which was an audience of mainly retired NJ LE.

The question I'm still interested in having answered:

If you used hollowpoint ammo in your home, in a "justified" defense shooting (whatever that means in NJ), could you expect "extra" prosecution for using hollowpoints instead of ball?

I was curious about this as well...

Has anyone actually shot that EMFJ and seen if it expands as advertised? Maybe we should donate a box to box 'o truth.

I just did some reading on some other forums...people have tested the EFMJ and are pleased with the results. Supposedly detroit PD uses it as duty weapon ammo. Some guys did some gello tests and said they have and would carry the EFMJ when they were limited to ball-type ammo. They said the EFMJ ammo expanded and penetrated just as well as various HP ammos during the test.

I tested a few rounds of the .45 ACP 200 Gr +P EFMJ through a deer carcass several years ago right after it came out. The expansion looked like the Federal ad, picture perfect. It is loaded in my house gun, FWIW.

No pictures as this was pre-digital camera for me.

Let me add that as far a legality in an SD in-home shooting goes, some have opined that if a deceased invader is not found on your living room floor, are you really involved? They also noted that a lawyer will end up costing $50K while new carpeting will be $1K. I'm certainly not advocating that anyone violate the law but rather comparing costs incurred by various scenarios for purposes of discussion only.

FWIW

YMMV

umm - you know that NJ outlawed the death penalty again, right?

I truly think the author of the original "rug" comment was being factious about it. I don't think anyone could actually believe that would work, not to mention the logistical requirements involved.

I meant every word of that post. I take no offense at the reaction of the typical New Jersey pussy. The've been castrated for so long that they believe that it is a natural state of affairs to bend over and take it.

Yeah because it's SUCH a pussy move to NOT Commit a crime after a perfectly good defensive shoot..... :roll: I have news for you, if someone shoots a home invader under legitimate circumstances even in MY county I dont see them getting charged...HOWEVER, once you decide to dick around and cover it up, what was a 100% legitimate act on your part now becomes "What wa he trying to hide, maybe it WASNT a good shoot after all".

I hate Gander MNTN, they suck, and are too expensive...