MrMcKulit

Do you have to redo the whole process all over again?

Hi Guys,

I already have an FID and two pistol permits which I used to buy my wife's Walther P22 and for myself a Springfield pistol.

I am thinking of buying 2 more, a .40 cal and .45.

Do I have to redo the whole process all over again (background check, finger print, etc etc)??

I should have gotten the maximum 4 permits when I first applied in January but I thought I wouldn't be able to use all 4 in the allotted 90 days. Sucks.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Hi Guys,

Do I have to redo the whole process all over again (background check, finger print, etc etc)??

I should have gotten the maximum 4 permits when I first applied in January but I thought I wouldn't be able to use all 4 in the allotted 90 days. Sucks.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

If I am not mistaken you don't have to redo the finger prints, but you do have to reapply for the permits, forms and reference checks. It's kind of a stupid procedure, but what can you do besides get a crap load of permits at once and be prepared to go on a spending spree :D

Thanks for the quick reply.

The procedure is insane. I have to bother my references again just to get another set of firearms.

Maybe I should wait for a while. They might think I'm a lunatic.

I just realized how I really enjoyed IDPA and USPSA that's why I'm getting this itch to buy another set.

I understand.. I only got 2 permits when I originally applied, I figured why would I need more. A 9mm and .22 later I wish I had more permits to buy more.

Riffles are the next step for me, much easier to get them from the dealer to the home.

That's what I have a .22 for the wife and a 9mm for myself.

I'm thinking of a rifle too since it's easier to get with the FID. My head is still spinning what to get because of so many out there.

I just saw that bean bags can be legally ordered through the net for NJ. I want to get a tactical shotgun for home.

Although it's relatively calm where I live it doesn't mean home invasion is impossible to happen.

I just saw that bean bags can be legally ordered through the net for NJ. I want to get a tactical shotgun for home.

Are you referring to "less than lethal" loads for your shotgun for home defense?

Is this because:

1) You want to give the guy a second chance to come after you once he gets up?

or

2) You want the guy to be capable of giving solid testimony in his lawsuit against you?

I'm not sure those are the rounds you want for home defense...

I think this calls for another rule....

apply for pistol permits in round numbers. 5 at a time. $2 each. Besides, when you go to post office for money order, you dont want people questinging why you need a money order for $4. $10 is a much more generally used number.

=)

jk.

welcome to the forum bud.

Who told you about a limit to the number of pistol permits? there is none really.

Are you referring to "less than lethal" loads for your shotgun for home defense?

Is this because:

1) You want to give the guy a second chance to come after you once he gets up?

or

2) You want the guy to be capable of giving solid testimony in his lawsuit against you?

I'm not sure those are the rounds you want for home defense...

I'm always tossed up on how to approach that situation.

The legal system in NJ is guilty until proven innocent.

I'll have the bean bag as a first round then the succeeding round would be the lethal option.

If I have to go to court I could at least say I tried to subdue the suspect but he kept on coming and I had no other choice but to go lethal.

I honestly would rather use a tazer that the cops use but this is illegal in NJ too (go figure).

Who told you about a limit to the number of pistol permits? there is none really.

Thanks for the welcome. The lady at the front desk of Hamilton Police station told me the limit is 4 pistols per application. I should have gotten the four but opted to only get 2.

I regret that decision now.

Thanks for the welcome. The lady at the front desk of Hamilton Police station told me the limit is 4 pistols per application. I should have gotten the four but opted to only get 2.

I regret that decision now.

Rule number one is to know the law. Rule number two is to be polite.

When they tell you something that is not in the law, ask them to show/quote you the statute that indicates a maximum of four...

They could of written it into township code to limit the pistol apps to 4 at a time? I dont know if that could even be legal?

But I can see how someone who is doing it for the first time would just take their word for it.

I heard from a coworker in South Brunswick, they wouldnt even let him come in with the printed forms from the State police website, and had to have him come in just to pick up the forms from the PD, then filling them out, and scheduling a time to drop them off for prints, etc.

I heard from a coworker in South Brunswick, they wouldnt even let him come in with the printed forms from the State police website, and had to have him come in just to pick up the forms from the PD, then filling them out, and scheduling a time to drop them off for prints, etc.

Yep they did that to me too. In fairness the forms they gave me is pretty much complete including the reference form, mental background etc etc .

Even the fingerprint card is with it, but of course I have to come in on a separate day for that.

They could of written it into township code to limit the pistol apps to 4 at a time? I dont know if that could even be legal?

But I can see how someone who is doing it for the first time would just take their word for it.

I don't believe that would be legal. I don't think the town has the right to make that law.

It's illegal to limit the number of permits. Furthermore, the local police stations can't impose any further restrictions than is listed in the statute, which I am too lazy to look up now.

The actual application form itself even has an illegal requirement: by law, your references can be related to you although the form says they cannot. If you read the statute it does not require the references to be non-relatives and it also states that no additional requirements can be added to the application that aren't specifically outlined in the statute. Isn't that nice? The application form itself is illegal!

--FCOD

I thought there was no limit as we are a "shall issue" state but I bet she didn't want to type up anymore than four. I say every gun owner in this state applies for 100 permits each and we break 'em of this stupid process! Nics is enough in my opinion.

Bad idea

I would then feel obligated to fill all of my permits to justify applying for them. My wife would then feel obligated to open a can of whoop a$$ on me with my newly aquired toys.

I'm looking to pick up two more P2Ps. Do I have to fill out the "I'm not a wife beating, alcoholic, drug addicted escapee from a mental ward" forms again? And do I need to put down the references(Ummm NICS anyone?) since I already have the SBI number?

I'm looking to pick up two more P2Ps. Do I have to fill out the "I'm not a wife beating, alcoholic, drug addicted escapee from a mental ward" forms again? And do I need to put down the references(Ummm NICS anyone?) since I already have the SBI number?

Same process as before without the fingerprinting.

Same stupid questions.

Same "contact my buddies, they'll vouch for me"

Same lengthy delays

Same nics check ANYWAY when you buy a gun.

Asinine process.

Argh! Good Grief! Thanks for the quick response. Guess I'm off to the police station. If I can decide what to buy...

you will have plenty of time to decide what you want to buy.

and remember... after you buy 1, you will have a whole month to decide. =)

Argh! Good Grief! Thanks for the quick response. Guess I'm off to the police station. If I can decide what to buy...

you will have plenty of time to decide what you want to buy.

and remember... after you buy 1, you will have a whole month to decide. =)

You can buy as many as you want.. you can only take home one per month :-P

I went down today and same thing, all the paperwork again. 1st time I waited 3 months for permit.

More like one gun every 3 months in dover twp pd.

Do you have to give 2 (new) references?

In Old Bridge, I've used the same ones multiple times. After the initial check for the FID, they never contacted them again.. but that might be up to the department. I'm not sure on that account.