Malsua

Pellet smoker suggestions wanted

3 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Man I love beef short ribs! Mrs Tex prefers them braised, but I like them on the smoker. 

Post pics, I wanna see them! 

I will finish prep them in the morning, so I'll take some pics then.   They are all wrapped up tight at the moment.

Any tips on these?  I've baked them before, but that was just put in oven, wrapped.  Take out, eat.

Nothing special...low, slow, and good smoke. I use mostly hickory, but toss in a little mesquite. Too much mesquite is overpowering to me, so just a hint of it is my preference. 

I take them off when they probe at 195°, wrap them and let them coast the rest of the way. 

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

@10X

Just rubbed a brisket, and pork tenderloins in preparation for the smoker.

What are YOU smoking this weekend? 

Those look good, and they're still raw.

I've got a 15 lb turkey going into a cajun-seasoned brine in about an hour.  I'll be up early to drain and dry it, apply a basic poultry rub to which I'm adding a bit of the same cajun seasoning, then have it on the smoker around 8:30 am.

A phone tree seems to have built up around when I'm running the smoker.  We'd planned on a socially-distant dinner for 4, leaving us lots of leftovers.  Somehow the count has climbed to 9 as of an hour ago, and I'm not sure people are done inviting themselves yet.   The last time, a relative of an acquaintance drove down unannounced from well into New York state to join us.

How long are you planning for the brisket to smoke?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 10X said:

Those look good, and they're still raw.

I've got a 15 lb turkey going into a cajun-seasoned brine in about an hour.  I'll be up early to drain and dry it, apply a basic poultry rub to which I'm adding a bit of the same cajun seasoning, then have it on the smoker around 8:30 am.

A phone tree seems to have built up around when I'm running the smoker.  We'd planned on a socially-distant dinner for 4, leaving us lots of leftovers.  Somehow the count has climbed to 9 as of an hour ago, and I'm not sure people are done inviting themselves yet.   The last time, a relative of an acquaintance drove down unannounced from well into New York state to join us.

How long are you planning for the brisket to smoke?

I know the feeling about the phone tree. @Zeke and @Bighungry618 are already sniffing around my meat. 

I cook for temperature. I cook until the brisket probes to 195°, then wrap it in butcher paper and a towel, and stick it in an empty ice chest for a few hours. 
I anticipate this to take 12ish hours for this brisket. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Still sniffing my meat?

It will come off the smoker this evening, and sit nestled, wrapped in butcher paper and a towel for a few hours after. We will probably eat it tomorrow. 

Ok I be there then. How did you get the smoker to stick to the wall?

• Haha 1

So it's on the smoker since 10:30.   Smoke tube in as well.

I use Applewood.  My wife doesn't like the strong flavors, specially of Mesquite so I have to stick to fruitwoods.

I'll probably get some Cherry if I can find it locally.  I've got 3 bags of Apple left, so I've got a ways to go yet.

Round about 1:30, I'll foil wrap and crank up to 225 until 5ish and see where I'm at.

Oh and I trimmed all the silverskin and other BS off.  The first pic is untrimmed.

ribs3.jpg

ribs2.jpg

ribs1.jpg

• Like 1

Brisket 4+ hours into the cook. Internal is about 160°. Bark will develop over the next several hours. 

I had the pork tenderloins on for 1.5 hours, they are now off the smoke, resting wrapped in foil. 

9EB1BEA8-33C1-4482-83F7-0BC6C4F5ED18.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Brisket 4+ hours into the cook. Internal is about 160°. Bark will develop over the next several hours. 

I had the pork tenderloins on for 1.5 hours, they are now off the smoke, resting wrapped in foil. 

9EB1BEA8-33C1-4482-83F7-0BC6C4F5ED18.jpeg

Too much smoke.... I’d use a crockpot 

5 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Too much smoke.... I’d use a crockpot 

Boil yourself something nice. 

My turkey has been on smoke for 4 hours of a planned 8, though internal temp is up to 145 so it might be ready earlier.    Used up the last of my pecan, so the finish will be all applewood.  My wife is making a cornbread/pecan/smoked andouille stuffing that should pair nicely, and a Cajun potato salad to match the Cajun brine I used.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 10X said:

Boil yourself something nice. 

My turkey has been on smoke for 4 hours of a planned 8, though internal temp is up to 145 so it might be ready earlier.    Used up the last of my pecan, so the finish will be all applewood.  My wife is making a cornbread/pecan/smoked andouille stuffing that should pair nicely, and a Cajun potato salad to match the Cajun brine I used.

What time shall I be over for dinner, and what wine would you like me to bring? :D

One of the pork tenderloins. It didn’t develop a well defined smoke ring, as it wasn’t on the smoker that long. It was done to temp at 1.5 hours. They are pretty small as pork tenderloins go. 

That’s fine by me..they will be used for tacos al pastor, and I don’t want the smoke flavor to overwhelm the other flavors of the dish. 

Taste test was wonderful......

46714381-644A-4B3C-A03E-9BA25F68E3C8.jpeg

Just now, Displaced Texan said:

10 hours on the cook, and I’m at 192. Little ways to go. 
I didn’t use the Texas crutch, I just powered through the stall. 

Mmmmmmmmm, damn that brisket smells good. 

I like the bark better when wrapped with butcher paper but I've powered through as well but only on smaller briskets.

I'm 6 hours in on my ribs, going to check temp in 15 minutes and probably pull for rest.  I suspect I'm 200ish.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Malsua said:

I like the bark better when wrapped with butcher paper but I've powered through as well but only on smaller briskets.

I'm 6 hours in on my ribs, going to check temp in 15 minutes and probably pull for rest.  I suspect I'm 200ish.

I can’t wait to see them!

200° average temp. Time to snuggle this baby in a towel and empty ice chest for a few hours. 

The probe inserted effortlessly, and the meat ‘jiggles’ to the touch, indicating its tender. 

The next few hours is the most crucial, but the hardest part for me. I wanna sample it!!! 

9CFDF2AC-7172-467C-B4D0-B7AF665BACC6.jpeg

• Like 1

164, lol.   I put a remote thermometer in there.  I also turned up the temp 25 degrees.

I still need to finish hot too and I want some rest.  Sheesh, it's gonna be midnight.

1 minute ago, Displaced Texan said:

200° average temp. Time to snuggle this baby in a towel and empty ice chest for a few hours. 

The probe inserted effortlessly, and the meat ‘jiggles’ to the touch, indicating its tender. 

The next few hours is the most crucial, but the hardest part for me. I wanna sample it!!! 

9CFDF2AC-7172-467C-B4D0-B7AF665BACC6.jpeg

Looking good.

1 hour ago, Malsua said:

164, lol.   I put a remote thermometer in there.  I also turned up the temp 25 degrees.

I still need to finish hot too and I want some rest.  Sheesh, it's gonna be midnight.

Looking good.

Think ‘short ribs, huevos rancheros,  pico de gallo, and tortillas’ for breakfast.....

Hit 203. 

3 Hours on smoke with smoke tube

3.5 hours at 225

2 hours at 275

.5 at 300

.5 at 325

Broiled the top for a few minutes just to crisp it up a little.

Resting now.  Will eat in about 20 minutes.  I'm not waiting until 8 ;)

ribs4.jpg

• Like 1