Federal Guard Dog

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sroc112

sroc112
  • LocationWestfield
  • Home Range:RTSP

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:25 PM

Looking to purchase a few boxes of Federal Guard Dog in 9mm but having trouble finding it at an online retailer that has it in stock.  Looking to steer away from JHP and stick to FMJ but looking to try something different.

Anyone know of any retailers that have it in stock?  Or anyone have any other suggestions for ammo that would be similar to Guard Dog that may be worth looking into?  I will probably buy a few boxes and take a couple to the range to see how it shoots and if I like it keep it in my loaded HD gun.  Not interested in JHP though, just personal preference I try to stay away from anything that could add additional legal complications in the event I ever had to use the gun.

Sig Sauer M11-A1
Glock 19 Gen 4
Mossberg 590 12ga.

NRA Member
NJ2AS

#2 T Bill

T Bill
  • LocationNW Warren County
  • Home Range:Shongum

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:38 PM

I like the Lehigh Defense heads.  They can be found in Underwood Ammo.  Here's something along the same lines.

https://underwoodamm...treme-defender/

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” - Dr. Sigmund Freud

” … the right to defend one’s home and one’s person when attacked has been guaranteed through the ages by common law.” - Dr. Martin Luther King
"Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again; poor fools. And their grand-children are once more slaves." - D. H. Lawrence
Cogito, ergo sum armatus. I think, therefore I am armed

#3 Screwball

Screwball
  • LocationHowell

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:42 PM

As long as you are actually justified, hollow points aren't an issue...

But Hornady Critical Defense/Duty is another option, if you are looking for a non HP choice.

#4 sroc112

sroc112
  • LocationWestfield

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:22 PM

Are those the ones with the little red plastic piece in the middle?
Sig Sauer M11-A1
Glock 19 Gen 4
Mossberg 590 12ga.

NRA Member
NJ2AS

#5 sroc112

sroc112
  • LocationWestfield

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:24 PM

As long as you are actually justified, hollow points aren't an issue...
But Hornady Critical Defense/Duty is another option, if you are looking for a non HP choice.

The "actually justified" part is what I try to avoid. Depending on who determines if my actions were actually justified is where the mystery lies.
Sig Sauer M11-A1
Glock 19 Gen 4
Mossberg 590 12ga.

NRA Member
NJ2AS

#6 checko

checko
  • LocationSomerville, Somerset County
  • Home Range:SCFGPA

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:46 PM

Not for nothing but if you shoot someone the type of bullet you use will likely be moot at that point. If you are looking to avoid the to and from house/range rule you will still have issues with taking your pistol.

Also, I'd be more worried about guard dog/CD being labeled "dum dum rounds".

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

-General James Mattis

#7 Screwball

Screwball
  • LocationHowell

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:00 PM

Are those the ones with the little red plastic piece in the middle?

Yep... they do pink, as well.

The "actually justified" part is what I try to avoid. Depending on who determines if my actions were actually justified is where the mystery lies.

If you shoot and shouldn't have, having hollow points would be an additional 2-3 years... added to 5 to 30 years for manslaughter (depending on circumstances). If you screw the pooch, you screwed the pooch.

Don't get me wrong, I understand what you mean... but it is like worry about modifying your firearms. Hell, if push comes to shove, you belong to a firearms forum, asking about bullets... that could make you seem like a blood-thirsty gun owner, looking to grease a poor child that was breaking in just to say hi. Sarcasm, but it is in the similar ballpark.

But that is far from what you asked, so sorry for the sidetrack...

In regards to Guard Dog like loads, look up Expanding FMJ. Used to be a few companies doing them.

#8 sroc112

sroc112
  • LocationWestfield

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:04 PM

Ok I get it lol thanks
Sig Sauer M11-A1
Glock 19 Gen 4
Mossberg 590 12ga.

NRA Member
NJ2AS

#9 GRIZ

GRIZ

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:42 PM

If you have to shoot someone so they don't kill you the type of bullet you use is a moot point. Others have already stated this.

The gun, caliber, ammo, and skill with a firearm is maybe 5% of gunfighting. 95% of gunfighting is between your ears. This includes the ability to recognize when you can shoot someone.
  • High Exposure likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users