Maksim

Is anyone else annoyed when people call it a weapon?

Since the age of reason, :lol: I was always calling firearms what they are, firearms, rifles, handguns, shotguns, etc.

Was reading an email from a NJ senator, calling firearms weapons. Isnt that a bit.... naive? I mean, what about kitchen knives, automobiles, bats, water? You dont go to your local Ford dealership to pick up a Ford F150 weapon in blue, we dont go to Walmart to the kitchen aisle to look for steak weapons. You dont go to Dicks sporting goods to buy a Louiville Weapon.

When does a firearm or anything else become a weapon? why do some people just call all firearms a weapon? Heck, even some forums call them straight out weapons.

+ 1 !!! My pet peeve is when people call ANY semi-auto handgun a 'glock'. When I had a motorcycle, people that dont know motorcycles would call it a 'ninja' bike. VERY annoying. I'm not sure if its being naive as much as it is being moronic and ignorant. :roll:

I know when i was in the military, you would have to drop and do push-ups when you called your rifle a firearm or a gun, it was referred to as your WEAPON, anything else and you would pay dearly.

wow....very interesting. Was that an army-wide thing or just your perticular Drill Instructor?

It's a weapon. It's sole purpose is to kill other human beings. You can use it for hunting... but the Army and USMC won't.

In NRA training, they don't want you using the word weapon. Instead, call it a gun, firearm, pistol, rifle, revolver, whatever it happens to be. The NRA believes the word weapon has negative connotations, and they do not want to be associated with that. That's fine with me, especially if your firearms are for purposes other than defense (bullseye, hunting, etc.)

At Front Sight, they believe that by avoiding the use of the word weapon is "sugarcoating." They do not believe that we, as gun owners, can win over the gun haters by following that mentality. FS believes using the word weapon is one way of being honest with the anti-gun crowd and the media. By being honest, trust can build, and common ground can be found.

I won't doubt that my firearms are weapons. They are listed classified as weapons, and each one was designed to be used as a weapon. Furthermore, they are not the tricked out, customized target guns used in bullseye competition. Much of my training is on using them for defense, whether at home or when I am in a state where I can carry.

I know when i was in the military, you would have to drop and do push-ups when you called your rifle a firearm or a gun, it was referred to as your WEAPON, anything else and you would pay dearly.

This is my Weapon(hoist rifle)

This is my Gun(grab crotch)

This is for fighting(hoist rifle)

This is for fun(grab crotch)

and just cause you never used yours to hunt with doesn't mean others didn't. Camel tastes pretty good, or so I heard that is :shock:

A boom boom stick is a tool if you ask me. You can use it for various things. Hunting, target shooting, collecting, as a weapon and a few other uses as well. The military uses these tools primarily as Weapons, so when in the military you refer to your rifle as a Weapon because that is your intended use for it. Just as if your intended use for a kitchen knife was to stab someone then that kitchen knife would be a weapon as well.

People that refer to all firearms as weapons are just ignorant. They don't understand any other use for them and think they are only used to kill human beings. Trying to educate one of these people on what the word weapon means doesn't usually help either because they are just plan stupid and rather just blindly follow their cause.

Say you take a soldiers weapon(say a M16) and give it to an everyday citizen. Is it still a weapon? At best it could be called a self defense weapon, since the everyday citizen is not legally allowed to offensively shoot someone with the M16 in question. It could only be used to fire upon someone if he was in danger of being killed or seriously injured.

I guess that is enough to ban something here in the republic or Jersey though seeing as the government is all for having a state full of victims.

In NRA training, they don't want you using the word weapon.

And when you forget and call it a weapon, you get yelled at loudly. That was the hardest obstacle to overcome during the instructor training. It was a total 180 from my LE instructor training.

Yea, I'm in line with the rest of the military folk. If I referred any of my firearms as anything but a weapon, I would get smoked to all ends. But the whole firearm vs weapon thing goes for a lot of other things as well in the military. The military de-sensitizes the aspects of combat to lesson the psychological impact ("targets" or "marks" instead of "people," etc). Special K has it right though, and I agree with the consensus. A firearm is a weapon in the military because that is its intended use. On the outside it is a firearm because it serves a different purpose.

In the military you call it what it is, a weapon. in the politically correct atmosphere outside of the military the word weapon scares people and is frowned upon.

Call it whatever you want, it is time poeple pulled their heads out of their dark crevices and grow up. I am so tired of having to be PC.

eh.. touchy subject.. i don't hunt.. im proficient with my firearms so that in the event that i should have to defend myself or my family i am properly prepared.. therefore i call them all weapons.. when i showed my g/f how to use them EVERY reference was weapon.. "load the weapon" "this is the safety on the weapon" etc.. maybe its politically incorrect and or wrong.. but its what ive ALWAYS called it and it is what it has always been called in my family..

I believe it's a weapon when used for defense or offense. For recreational use, it's a firearm.

+1

However, my friends don't call it anything...they just think "I'm nuts". That's what they said when I got my Pilot's license!

However, after I took them up they wanted to get theirs! I have funny feeling if they shot my gun they'd want to get one!

Being "nuts" is all subjective.

lets say you get pulled over and a peace officer asks if you have any weapons?

you say no but i have firarms.. same goes for knives and other objects that could be used for weapons.. the outcome may be very diffrent if you answer yes i do have a weapon!!

lets say you get pulled over and a peace officer asks if you have any weapons?

you say no but i have firarms.. same goes for knives and other objects that could be used for weapons.. the outcome may be very diffrent if you answer yes i do have a weapon!!

Do you have any weapons

Yes i am legally transporting my firearm in the trunk, unloaded and separate from the ammunition..

;)