ChrisJM981

AR .22 Conversions

I have no first hand experience, but if you believe half of what you read online, it's probably best to avoid the Ciener kits. They seem to be very hit or miss, and their customer support is supposedly almost non-existent.

That said, from what I understand, most .22 conversion kits are based on the Ciener design.. so take that for what it's worth

I have the Ceiner conversion for my Berretta 96 and AR15 so far no problems; the only thing I dislike is that the slide stay closed after the last shot. Was told by many people not to use the conversion on the AR15, I bought a DPMS upper receiver in 22lr, it

I have the ciener kit. It works great. No problems at all. Runs 100%. I also have the spikes dedicated upper...it was not good. Jammed a lot. I had to cut the spring to ease the tension and the thing does not need oil. Ciener costed $165, Spikes..$575. You go figure.

Blackfox - Where did you get your DPMS upper receiver in 22lr? I am interested getting one.

I can't remember if I bought it from Cheaper than Dirt or directly from DPMS.

http://www.floridagunworks.com/store4.m ... MS%20.22LR

A work to the wise, don't ever buy anything from Florida Gun Works. They are a high priced rip off outfit that has been documented over the years as screwing customers over.

I was dumb enough to buy something from them before I knew better. They tried to rip me off. Luckly for me I used a credit card and got all my money back in the end.

Lesson learned.

Many in our club did a group buy on Spike's complete uppers. they work great but were sensitive to ammo types as are most 22 conversion kits. Those that just bought the upper boat group conversions were not as satisfied.

spikes dedicated upper...it was not good. Jammed a lot

Which is why different types of 22lr must be tried. As with many 22lr firearms, ammo can make or break the flawless operation.

The problem with installing just the conversion is that a light 22lr bullet doesn't stabilize as well as a dedicated upper. The normal 1 x 9 or 1 x 8 twist barrels work well with the 55 grain and up weight bullets. Spikes went to a 1 x 16" twist. Problems can develop with the gas system if it is not maintained.

Price differences are great so you have to decide what level of performance you want to get out of it. We did well on a group buy of several that brought the pricing down to under five hundred a unit.

While I didn't buy one, I tried one out and they are great fun. What made them even more valuable was the ability to be used on the indoor range during the colder winter months.

I have the ciener conversion kit and its works great!! It's not picky with ammo, and is quick and easy to swap back and forth. $165 doesn't hurt either

I don't have it. But read some where that you have to clean the bore before you shoot 223 again otherwise it may blow up on you because 22 makes it dirty. Not sure it is base on any fact.

You are using a lead bullet at a much faster twist. Leading of the bore is a distinct possibility. Not cleaning the bore probably would cause a reduction in accuracy. As far as getting to the point of it being dangerous? Tend to doubt it. But what is the sense of firing center-fire rounds that won't hit the side of a barn?

I have the ciener conversion kit and its works great!! It's not picky with ammo, and is quick and easy to swap back and forth. $165 doesn't hurt either

I don't have it. But read some where that you have to clean the bore before you shoot 223 again otherwise it may blow up on you because 22 makes it dirty. Not sure it is base on any fact.

Nonsense. After I blast the 22s, I fire a few 223 to "clean it out". It does get a bit smokey on the first 223.

Nonsense. After I blast the 22s, I fire a few 223 to "clean it out". It does get a bit smokey on the first 223.

Agreed 100%.