Jump to content
Steve from NJ/FL

Transporting Guns Between NJ and Florida

Recommended Posts

I have a “simple” NJ gun transport question (at least I thought it was simple).  

I legally purchased a handgun in NJ (I had a handgun permit, FID card, etc.,) while a NJ resident.  I have since become a Florida domiciled resident, but I still maintain a home in NJ .  Note: While I still possess my NJ FID card, it is no longer valid because the address on it does not match the address on my Florida license.  I will be applying for a new FID as soon as I return back to NJ.

Can I drive my legally purchased NJ handgun back and forth between Florida and NJ?  I know I can drive it to Florida from NJ, it's the other way around that is unclear to me.  

Based on my research (looking at NJ guns laws, NJ State Police website, etc.), I believe I can do the following:

1.    I can transport the gun into NJ (from FL) as long as it is unloaded and locked in a case and not accessible to me, AND once I enter NJ I must drive directly to my NJ residence (except for "reasonable deviations”).
2.     I believe the same is true of ammo that I purchased in NJ (then brought to Florida and want to return back to NJ).

Can anyone confirm - - or otherwise correct - - my understanding?

I thought there were enough NJ/FL dual residents that this issue would have been discussed/resolved already.  

Any help with this question would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MFirst, if you are transporting handguns between one residence and another you are covered under NJ law.

Update your NJFID with your FL address you can transport your long guns as long as they're secured and unloaded all the time.

Ammunition? You can have your car filled with non hollowpoint ammo any where AFAIK and you are not in violation of any state or Federal law.

Hollowpoints?  Many here are paranoid about that.  I've never heard of anyone being  charged with that and that alone for 20 years.

Do what you need to do.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, GRIZ said:

MFirst, if you are transporting handguns between one residence and another you are covered under NJ law.

Update your NJFID with your FL address you can transport your long guns as long as they're secured and unloaded all the time.

Ammunition? You can have your car filled with non hollowpoint ammo any where AFAIK and you are not in violation of any state or Federal law.

Hollowpoints?  Many here are paranoid about that.  I've never heard of anyone being  charged with that and that alone for 20 years.

Do what you need to do.

 

 

This.

Just drive like a normal person and it won't be an issue.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your comments.

But, I am a bit confused.  I thought what I wanted to do was perfectly legal in NJ, but based on the last two comments, it seems like I need to be careful when I drive in NJ, which suggests I am doing something that's not perfectly legal.

Can anyone clarify for me?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Steve from NJ/FL said:

Thanks for your comments.

But, I am a bit confused.  I thought what I wanted to do was perfectly legal in NJ, but based on the last two comments, it seems like I need to be careful when I drive in NJ, which suggests I am doing something that's not perfectly legal.

Can anyone clarify for me?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

My comment was in regard if you don't want to be stopped by the police obey the traffic laws.  That's all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Steve from NJ/FL said:

Thanks for your comments.

But, I am a bit confused.  I thought what I wanted to do was perfectly legal in NJ, but based on the last two comments, it seems like I need to be careful when I drive in NJ, which suggests I am doing something that's not perfectly legal.

Can anyone clarify for me?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

You do have to be careful. There are some badged-up a******* out there who will hassle you for an NRA sticker and try to coerce a consent to search. It happened to me twice within one month soon after after Florio was elected. In retrospect, those two walking stool samples were comical. I removed the NRA sticker and wasn't bothered again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a florida drivers license and am a resident of both states .I buy any gun I want in NJ with my fid card and something that shows residence in NJ with the same address as the fid card .I used an electric bill and my truck registration several times. I would just go straight to your house once you get into NJ . 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2021 at 8:08 PM, Steve from NJ/FL said:

Thanks for your comments.

But, I am a bit confused.  I thought what I wanted to do was perfectly legal in NJ, but based on the last two comments, it seems like I need to be careful when I drive in NJ, which suggests I am doing something that's not perfectly legal.

Can anyone clarify for me?

Thanks in 

@Steve from NJ/FL I feel you're overthinking this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Steve from NJ/FL said:

Does the address on your NJ FID match the address on your FL driver's license?

 

I think once I get my FID updated to have my FL address I will be OK.

No my fid has my nj address, don't change anything . As long as you have a NJ residence you're good to buy at least rifles and shotguns I don't know about handguns but I'm almost positive you can buy handguns also. All you need is an electric bill tax bill car registration or something that shows residency . In Fl. you are considered a resident if you own property other than just land ,you can buy any gun you want with a NJ drivers license when you go the ffl they look you up on the tax database to show you own property copy it and attach it to the normal paperwork . If you have a Fl. ccw then you have no wait depending on the county there's a three day wait if you don't have one. The state of Fl. has no problem with gun ownership Im in Lee Co. pretty much everyone I know has and carrys guns.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interstate transport falls under the FOPA a federal law. What you proposed to do is completely legal. Once you enter NJ, NJ law applies and so long as  your mode and place of transport to are permissible under NJ law you are good to go.  It is up to you if you want to obtain a new NJ FID card with a new address. You only need that if you plan on purchasing guns in NJ and picking them up in NJ and/or ordering ammo and having it shipped to NJ as most online vendors will require a copy of your NJ FID or purchasing ammo at a range in NJ that you intend to shoot not at the range you purchased it from. There is less hassle in purchasing firearms in Fl  and having the ammo shipped to your Fl address and bringing what you want back to NJ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, SJG said:

Interstate transport falls under the FOPA a federal law. What you proposed to do is completely legal. Once you enter NJ, NJ law applies and so long as  your mode and place of transport to are permissible under NJ law you are good to go.  It is up to you if you want to obtain a new NJ FID card with a new address. You only need that if you plan on purchasing guns in NJ and picking them up in NJ and/or ordering ammo and having it shipped to NJ as most online vendors will require a copy of your NJ FID or purchasing ammo at a range in NJ that you intend to shoot not at the range you purchased it from. There is less hassle in purchasing firearms in Fl  and having the ammo shipped to your Fl address and bringing what you want back to NJ.

You don't need to do anything with your current fid card  i have bought ammo and firearms with a nj fid card and fl. driver license . Some ffls wont do the transfer because they are ignorant of the law or just don't want to do anything more than they have to. Ask Jack Tehan JT Custom Guns or call Shooters they sell guns all the time with different documentation perfectly legal under federal and NJ law. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Thanks to everyone for all the responses. They are very helpful.

SJG: I agree with everything you posted, as it is consistent with my research in NJ and Fed. statutes, and NJ State Police website, etc.

I am fortunate that I was recently able to retire and make FL my state of domicile.  I can't take all the NJ regulations, taxes, etc. anymore.  I'm fine with just spending my summers at the Jersey shore and the rest of my time in FL.  I'll love NJ, but enough is enough.

By the way, I found this NJ statute that suggests you need to file for a new FID when there is a change of residence, if you want to continue to use your FID.  There may be some FFLs that don't care if the FID and drivers license addresses don't match, but the law seems to require it.  I think I'm just going to apply for a new FID with my FL address.

N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.11 DUPLICATE FIREARMS PURCHASER IDENTIFICATION CARD (a) Persons shall apply for a duplicate firearms purchaser identification card to replace a lost, stolen or mutilated card, or in the case of a change of residence by the holder, within 30 days of such loss, theft, mutilation, or change of residence.

(b) The applicant shall complete an application for a duplicate firearms purchaser identification card designated as form STS-3 and a consent for mental health records search designated as form SP 66 and present same to the chief of police in the municipality where the applicant resides or to the Superintendent in all other cases.

(c) It shall be the responsibility of the chief of police of the municipality wherein the applicant currently resides or the Superintendent in all other cases, to conduct a criminal history records check and to determine if the applicant is subject to any of the disabilities as provided by law and this subchapter and to issue the duplicate card, should the applicant qualify. The applicant shall pay the appropriate fee for a Criminal History Record Check as established by N.J.A.C. 13:59 in accordance with N.J.S.A. 53:1-20.5 et seq. (P.L. 1985, c.69).

Regards,

Steve

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Steve from NJ/FL said:

 

Thanks to everyone for all the responses. They are very helpful.

SJG: I agree with everything you posted, as it is consistent with my research in NJ and Fed. statutes, and NJ State Police website, etc.

I am fortunate that I was recently able to retire and make FL my state of domicile.  I can't take all the NJ regulations, taxes, etc. anymore.  I'm fine with just spending my summers at the Jersey shore and the rest of my time in FL.  I'll love NJ, but enough is enough.

By the way, I found this NJ statute that suggests you need to file for a new FID when there is a change of residence, if you want to continue to use your FID.  There may be some FFLs that don't care if the FID and drivers license addresses don't match, but the law seems to require it.  I think I'm just going to apply for a new FID with my FL address.

N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.11 DUPLICATE FIREARMS PURCHASER IDENTIFICATION CARD (a) Persons shall apply for a duplicate firearms purchaser identification card to replace a lost, stolen or mutilated card, or in the case of a change of residence by the holder, within 30 days of such loss, theft, mutilation, or change of residence.

(b) The applicant shall complete an application for a duplicate firearms purchaser identification card designated as form STS-3 and a consent for mental health records search designated as form SP 66 and present same to the chief of police in the municipality where the applicant resides or to the Superintendent in all other cases.

(c) It shall be the responsibility of the chief of police of the municipality wherein the applicant currently resides or the Superintendent in all other cases, to conduct a criminal history records check and to determine if the applicant is subject to any of the disabilities as provided by law and this subchapter and to issue the duplicate card, should the applicant qualify. The applicant shall pay the appropriate fee for a Criminal History Record Check as established by N.J.A.C. 13:59 in accordance with N.J.S.A. 53:1-20.5 et seq. (P.L. 1985, c.69).

Regards,

Steve

 

 

Steve,

       Congrats on getting out!  I wish I could!  Unless I'm missing something, the statute you quoted above applies only to those who relocate within in the PRNJ. It orders the CPD of your new town to run background checks per NJ law.  To the best of my IANAL knowledge, no CPD outside of NJ is required to follow the procedural orders of New Jersey!

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GRIZ said:

There is no need to change the address on your FID if that address is your NJ residence.

@GRIZ THIS!!  9 DAYS A WEEK!

@Steve from NJ/FL  What if you had 3 residences or 12 throughout the country as a billionaire?  You maintain a residence in NJ?  Use your NJ address to buy guns & pistol ammo in NJ.  PERIOD!  

FWIW there is NO definition of "residence" in the written statutes of NJ gun law.  Is your DNA there in a hamper or on your toothbrush?  It's your residence!

FWIW there is NO definition of how long of a STAY is required to consider your NJ dwelling a "residence".  Hours, days, weeks OR months.  Do not conflate income tax reporting requirements with gun law.  Totally different animal!

Does the millionaire living in his/her $400K RV with a dozen firearms in a Jersey trailer park 3 months out of the year have a right to buy pistol ammo?  His trailer park address is his residence... 

You think you're the only person in NJ that's a gun owner and has multiple residences?

What you need is an educated & articulate FFL in NJ that isn't a candy-ass, and I can personally recommend several who are friends of mine :) 

Want to learn more about your gun rights?  Go to:  https://www.cnjfo.com 

Dave "Rosey" Rosenthal, VP

Coalition of New Jersey Firearm Owners, Inc.

No photo description available.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...