Sign in to follow this  
DevsAdvocate

Robber ransack house in South Brunswick...

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/0 ... d_sou.html

"Police said four masked men invaded a South Brunswick home Tuesday, taking valuables while holding the homeowner and housekeeper at gunpoint, a report in MyCentralJersey.com said.

According to the report, the armed men first came in the Harmony Lane house and held up the housekeeper, police said. The homeowner walked in during the robbery, and was then also held at gunpoint while the robbers finished raiding the house, the report said. "

Even if the homeowner was a gun owner, the lack of CCW meant he was entirely helpless in this situation.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/0 ... invad.html

"Salem police charge teens with invading home, holding family at gunpoint--

SALEM -- Police arrested five teenage boys for invading a city home and stealing electronics equipment while holding the family at gunpoint, a report in Today's Sunbeam said.

According to the report, the teens face first-degree charges that include a state statute aimed at cracking down on illegal gang activity. Police told Today's Sunbeam they suspect the boys to be members of a Salem gang called the Mid-Town Mafia, or MTM. The teens were arrested after police pulled over the boys for not having headlights on, the report said."

More.

I think It would be a good idea.... One person can be in charge of updating main thread. After it grows can be used to educate people, that it hits locally.

I mean, half of South Brunswick has a Princeton Address. I go to the gym almost across the street, and know many people living there.

Yar, I live across the street from South Brunswick (house is in Plainsboro, address is considered Cranbury, and a stone's throw from SB). I'll throw my two cents into keeping the forum updated with any information (also a member of the Plainsboro Watch... not that it updates as much as I would figure).

Edit:

And now that I just looked up that location, turns out that its literally a minute drive away. The article already states it, but the houses there are really, REALLY gorgeous. Probably around the $800K+ w/ 4-5 acres a piece... nestled right in the woods, really nice neighborhood. That really is quite disturbing now.

I was actually just thinking that. This is where a German Shepphard with 3 acres of electric fence come in.

But what is scary, no offense to anyone living in north jersey cities... this is freaking south brunswick, monmouth junction, princeton. There is no where else to move.

But what is scary, no offense to anyone living in north jersey cities... this is freaking south brunswick, monmouth junction, princeton. There is no where else to move.

Is it sign of the times or there's really no safe place anymore?

I think there is no safe place. Criminals travel. People are driving to nice neighborhoods miles away from where they live to commit crimes.

This is a growing problem....it happens MUCH more than you hear on the news. Just a small fraction of these incidents make it into the paper / news. For example: as I am typing this an inmate was just found dead in police custody at MCCI (monmouth county correctional institute) to me thats bigger news than a robbery...I can almost guarantee it wont be covered.

Like max said, no offence to anyone, but, the criminals see it as nicer houses have nicer things. Why rob a house in center city newark when you can drive 45 mins to manalapan, deal, princeton, etc. and go for the big houses.

Yep, no one does...its very scary. What can we do about it? Be extra vigilant? Start a neighborhood watch program (that rarely works), ask for extra police patrol?

Sure doesn't sound like a good time to be laying off police officers like many towns are doing. :evil:

In Alpine NJ it works.

Every resident has a sticker and all cars registered. Anyone driving around the hood is stopped and asked. =)

Though I doubt we can do it in the town the size of Marlboro.

Yeah, marlboro would be pretty tough. We have that in manalapan, but its the same deal, its just to big a town I guess??

It can happen anywhere but it is all about profiling. Criminals are not stupid. Dumb maybe, but not stupid. They look for easy marks based on a variety of reasons. Bumper stickers and flags or signs posted outside your house. Let's face it, if you are going to break into a home would you do it at a house that has a NRA decal on the truck window or the Honda with save the whales and PETA decals on the bumper?

Hearing this story makes me want to keep a firearm with access on the outside of my house.

In this news item, having that loaded 870 Tactical in the closet with a light on it meant nothing if you walk into and ambush in your own home.

In the same breath, displaying that you may have the means of protecting yourself is not always the best of ideas. Break-ins were happening so frequently to military personnel's personal vehicles that the whole unit had to come in on a day off for counter-intelligence training (we were an intel unit). Turns out that it had nothing to do with CI, but that criminals were instead targeting all vehicles that had ANY markings (license plates or decals) that had to do with the military. There was a strong assumption that since we were in the military, we would have firearms in our vehicles. So, the unit and the local police both asked, politely, to keep a lower profile.

Yea, I would understand that for the most part deterrence works. However, there is a very good chance that a smart criminal would instead take advantage of that sort of situation then shy away from it. Truth is criminals can figure out a thousand ways to commit the crime (especially if there is a large reward at hand), while we, as defenders, can only do so much-- as the crime itself would most likely come as a surprise (though, we may be prepared for that as well).

Hearing this story makes me want to keep a firearm with access on the outside of my house.

In this news item, having that loaded 870 Tactical in the closet with a light on it meant nothing if you walk into and ambush in your own home.

I was discussing this thread with a friend of mine who recently had a van suspiciously parked outside his home for 2 days. Cops were called and the van didn't return. He has surveillance camera around his property and this is how he saw the van parked outside. He always check his cameras remotely through his ipod before entering his house just in case someone is inside he won't be surprised and held at gunpoint.

I asked him so now what if there is someone inside, he said... well I'll just call the cops and won't go in. I asked don't you have a gun? He said sure I do, but it's inside in a safe.

He said why would he risk his life or risk going to jail if he knew there is someone in the house. He said he will only use the gun if he is inside the house and they broke in.

Although I have similar setup like him my circumstances are different. I have a family.

Question is, where do you hide such thing with outside access?

In Alpine NJ it works.

Every resident has a sticker and all cars registered. Anyone driving around the hood is stopped and asked. =)

Though I doubt we can do it in the town the size of Marlboro.

Alpine is also one of the most expensive, exclusive townships in the country. Of course the po-po go out of their way to protect them, huge $$ in property taxes.

I was discussing this thread with a friend of mine who recently had a van suspiciously parked outside his home for 2 days. Cops were called and the van didn't return. He has surveillance camera around his property and this is how he saw the van parked outside. He always check his cameras remotely through his ipod before entering his house just in case someone is inside he won't be surprised and held at gunpoint.

I asked him so now what if there is someone inside, he said... well I'll just call the cops and won't go in. I asked don't you have a gun? He said sure I do, but it's inside in a safe.

He said why would he risk his life or risk going to jail if he knew there is someone in the house. He said he will only use the gun if he is inside the house and they broke in.

Although I have similar setup like him my circumstances are different. I have a family.

Hide one in an ammo box outside in your yard. Or keep a weapon in your garage someplace.

You have to find a very clever hiding spot and make sure no one sees you do it.

Hide one in an ammo box outside in your yard. Or keep a weapon in your garage someplace.

You have to find a very clever hiding spot and make sure no one sees you do it.

Agreed. My .45 goes into a very special place right by my front door every time I leave the house.