Your original FID card should have the embossed town seal on it.

But in reality, all that is needed is the SBI number on the card. But as far as being a legal document, no it isn't.

BEWARE!!!

You should not present a copied FPID card to purchase a firearm, or even possess a copy. It is classified as government document. Please review 2C:21-2.1.

FORGERY STATUTE N.J.S.A.2C:21-2.1 which makes it a second degree offense to make or possess a device or materials to make a false driver's license, birth certificate or other government document.

You are not forging or possessing a false document. Forging constitutes altering, which is not being done.

You are not doing anything wrong.

Keep reading...

2C:21-2.1d

A person who knowingly possesses a document or other writing which falsely purports to be a driver's license or other document issued by a governmental agency and which could be used as a means of verifying a person's identity or age or any other personal identifying information is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

Whatever, keep arguing with yourself. I have a copy of my Passport, Birth Certificate, Drivers License and others. Go to the Department of Homeland security and look up their info on having a "bug out bag" ready for disasters. To keep copies of all your GOVERNMENT DOCUMENTS for safe keeping. So you are telling me I have a copy of my DL and someones going to arrest me.

Give me a break. This isn't Korea.

If you don't have a copy of your FID your a moron.

But the case in point is that the OP was asking if he could use a photo copy of his FID to purchase. The obvious answer to that is no. As for making copies, go for it. I have stacks of copies of my DD214 and other government issued paperwork. Can I substitute any of it for any legal/identification issues? No, probably not. That's the point that everyone else is trying to make is all.

To clarify, I have copies of my paperwork if there is ever any issues that do arise, and my initial copies have been lost for whatever the reason. Not to use as official copies, but in lieu of official paperwork (until I can replace the official papers/IDs/etc)... more or less as "receipts".

Whatever, keep arguing with yourself. I have a copy of my Passport, Birth Certificate, Drivers License and others. Go to the Department of Homeland security and look up their info on having a "bug out bag" ready for disasters. To keep copies of all your GOVERNMENT DOCUMENTS for safe keeping. So you are telling me I have a copy of my DL and someones going to arrest me.

Give me a break. This isn't Korea.

If you don't have a copy of your FID your a moron.

Way to make friends here with your first posts attacking me. panties.gif

If you use the copied documents to drive or buy a firearm, yes, you will be arrested, or at least detained until the real documents can be displayed. The law says you can't do it. That will be your choice to follow.

No I don't have a copy of my FID. I don't even know where the original is.

will have to agree with bbk and paul here.

You can make copies of your FID and all your documents, but you make copies for refrence and for backup, it is not howevera legal document, and if the people at dicks followed the law, the cannot legally take your copies as the originals, and would have to ask for an original.

IE... you have your FID, you commit a crime and it is revoked. You still have copy.

that is where hte problem lies.

making a copy to look like the original is infact forging a document... as you are infact trying to make the copy look like the original, and to pass it off as the original.

will have to agree with bbk and paul here.

You can make copies of your FID and all your documents, but you make copies for refrence and for backup, it is not howevera legal document, and if the people at dicks followed the law, the cannot legally take your copies as the originals, and would have to ask for an original.

IE... you have your FID, you commit a crime and it is revoked. You still have copy.

that is where hte problem lies.

making a copy to look like the original is infact forging a document... as you are infact trying to make the copy look like the original, and to pass it off as the original.

+1

I took my FID card to Staples to get it laminated and the machine jammed with the card still inside!!!

The store manager came over and told me what had happened and the only way to get the card back was to take the laminator apart,i told him you better get started then that card took me six months to get.

Long story short and a lot of worry the card wasn't chewed up :D

To this day it looks like new.

Thanks for all the replies. The reason I asked is that since it takes so damned long to get the FID I didn't want to risk losing it since I generally carry it with me all the time on the off chance I need to buy something unexpectedly. I really should just plan my spending better and leave it at home the when I don't need it. Anyway, thanks again for the info.