charleslee

Gun Shop Experience

Let me run this by you & get your thoughts/opinions, pls. Imagine the following scenario: you place a firearm on layaway, one that is in demand, for x-amount of dollars at a certain gun shop and later go to get it and are told it was apparently, mistakingly sold to someone else. You don't get real upset, but you are bummed. You have layed-away quite a few firearms w/ this dealer in the past and he's always given you plenty of time - never broke your chops about hurrying up to pay them off. Maybe you are giving him too much credit here, after all he did make a sell on all of them, just not right away. I don't know. Anyway, you get to thinking and realize, hey!, was it an honest mistake OR did he just sell it tom someone else for alot more??? Let me know.

If you have a relationship with this dealer and you have done several transations with him why would you even think it is anything than an honest mistake. Is it a small dealer that he is the only one there or are there a few hands in the pot. I know when I have bought guns for a dealer to hold I have never had a problem. However I have paid in full and then waited on the permits.

I would think it would depend on two things...how much you put down and how long you kept him hanging.

10% deposit in my opinion should give you 3 weeks after the gun arrives at store to come up with the extra money.

Beyond that, you should have to pay some carrying costs. Suppose it's a $1000 firearm. If you spend $1000 on a credit card and don't pay it off in 30 days, the credit card company charges you a carry cost(interest) for the use of their money. I see no difference here. The dealer has to front that money and gives you 2-3 weeks grace to come up with it.

Sounds like a douchebag move to me.......If the gun was sold to you and properly marked as such, there should be no way it gets "mistakenly" sold to someone else...at the very least, he should get you a replacement with a discount or at cost...maybe waive the transfer fee as well...and please do tell which shop this is...

Sorry it took me soooo long to answer but I was apprehensive in naming the shop, I didn't want to burn any bridges. But what the hell! Also, it did happen appr. 2 yrs. ago,or so, so I guess it's water under the bridge, but I'll vent. Happened at the old BA. We're talking about the .12 ga. Saiga, here. Had placed $420.00 down & pd. it off, like I said, and went to get it and bingo! Gone! After informing me that it had been sold, they were supposed to hold me one of the next ones to come in. Every time I called (alot of times), Milton would jerk me around, telling me, "Not yet, but you'll be the first person I call, Mr. ..." He must have figured I was pretty naive! Finally I got tired of waiting and got a list of all the distributors that Russian American Armory Co. (that's the co. that imports all the Saigas into U.S.) utilizes & called them all til I found one that could help me. Pd. $650.00. So, you see what I could have saved had BA done the right thing! I don't think Shoreshot would have done the same thing. I've always been treated right by them! And to put the icing on the cake, I went into BA awhile back & they had some for like $750.00 or something. I wonder how many they went through between my layaway fiasco & now??? Should I EVEN SET FOOT IN THERE NOW! Probably not, besides the pride factor, now since word w/ get back. But screw it! Opinions? Thanks for enduring this diatribe.

Charles Its Phil hows your dog? I'm sorry you feel that way,you were a very good customer here. But when telling the story tell the whole story from the beginning. I have put many guns on layaway for you sometimes 3 at a hit and it took you almost a year to pay them off I never complained or broke your chops about the time.The guns we are talking about is a p7m8 and a original 1911 colt and a unfired russian sks. These are high dollar guns that Gave you a great price on and waited almost a year for full payment.Now to sit on over 3000.00 dollars worth of guns for almost a year for that small profit is not worth it, but we did because you were a loyal customer.Now we make one mistake and you put it on here.Its easy to forget what this store has done for you but make 1 mistake and you do this.

brick, charles already tells us that you put them on layaway for a long time for him and that you never busted his chops about how long they were on layaway. I give him credit for the honesty up front and aplaud you for the consideration.

I think he is confused on what realy happened and upset that the firearm was sold after being put on layaway, here is your chance to annie up on what happened and set the record straight. if you sold it for more money thats buisness, and he showed up out of the blue before it could be replaced or it was sold by mistake and he showed up and then you relized it was his layaway that was sold.

tony357

The dealer cost offer should have been made the moment this mistake was realized, which happens to be 2 years ago...instead they told him to call back, which he did repeatedly, and not until this is discussed years later on this site is the offer made...As a small business owner, Ive made a similar mistake from time to time, but I will offer a great deal to the customer right then and there, not years later.....in addition, if you read the whole thread, you will see that the OP went somewhere else and purchased the rifle from someone else...he probably doesnt need 2 of the same rifle....How about offering the dealer cost offer on his next gun purchase?....

The dealer cost offer should have been made the moment this mistake was realized, which happens to be 2 years ago...instead they told him to call back, which he did repeatedly, and not until this is discussed years later on this site is the offer made...As a small business owner, Ive made a similar mistake from time to time, but I will offer a great deal to the customer right then and there, not years later.....in addition, if you read the whole thread, you will see that the OP went somewhere else and purchased the rifle from someone else...he probably doesnt need 2 of the same rifle....How about offering the dealer cost offer on his next gun purchase?....

I think this may be going a little far. It was a mistake, but it is up to the customer as well. Like he originally said, water under the bridge and it is 2 years after the fact. No contract was broken. Personally, I would not even have a layaway policy. I would hold something for 7 days, if you cant pay for it, dont buy it.

Unless they held his money and wouldnt give it back to him, a mistake happened. With as many customers as they have, dealing with so many customer tickets, things like this will happen. To go back and correct what happened more than 2 years ago, is far beyond what is accomodating.

keep in mind, he wasnt sold something, he isnt having buyers remorse. He wanted to buy something, they agreed to hold it for him, a mistake happened it was sold. He obivously didnt make his feelings felt strongly enough. Now that there is a medium for people to get together, thank you Max for creating the board, charles decided to post about his experience. Brick Armory responded and is very accomodating.

In a business, you are not going to be able to please everyone, and personally, I would not go as far as they have.

Great job Phil.

++++ To BA. Mistakes happen and unfortunatly it did to this person. No one was hurt and BA is making up for it in a very nice way. It is great to see you bridging the gap and making amends. We have to stand strong with our dealers.

+1 doc. I know that we may bicker over price, or heck, even service, but at the very worst case... we are both in it for the firearms passion.

Both the dealers and the customers need each other.

Phil: Thank-you for being a gentleman and your offer of dealer cost on next buy. I appreciate it! Lets put this behind us & move on. You always took good care of me & I appreciate it. You are a stand-up-guy and run a great shop. I just got a bug up my *** over this & probably overreacted when I should have come to you personally. I apologize!!! I hope all is well w/ the family and your shepherds!