Maksim

HK MR556

They are being built at Newington for the past few months. Apparently they want to the the production fine tuned and adequate numbers manufactured afore they are released. The plant isn't that big so I don't see them coming out in large numbers anytime soon.

These are the civilian versions of the HK416 - the big difference between a "regular" AR is that it's gas piston operated instead of direct impingement system typically found in ARs... altho the SIGs may also be gas piston, so maybe not that different. The rear sight is typical HK style sight (think MP5 peep sight). I'm sure there's a few other differences. Knowing HK, they'll probably be ridiculously expensive

ETA: more info here http://hk-usa.com/civ_rifles.asp

there's also gonna be a 7.62 NATO version (.308) - MR762

I'm supremely pumped about the MR556/762. As I'm half German and a self-confessed HK Fanatic, I'm happy they're offering their latest and greatest piston guns to the public. The 416's have been field tested for a few years now, and have performed impeccably in the field. The only failures have been intrinsic to the design (barrel cracks after the designed 30,000 round limit, etc) and are still far beyond the tolerances of your average M4.

I plan on making the MR556 my first .223 rifle.

The biggest complaint I've heard about these HK guns is that they're built to slightly different spec than most ARs. So, for example, the uppers may not fit on a standard AR lower. Supposedly, this has something to do with German law, but I haven't read up on the MRs enough to remember the specifics of why or how.

The bigger concern, IMHO, is the price - I've seen $3000-3500 mentioned a lot on other forums. I'm sure the HK ARs will be good, but I'm not sure they'll be $3000 good. I can maybe see the 7.62 variants going for that much, but if the 5.56 version is that much, I can't see them selling too many 'cept to hardcore HK fans. The HK piston guns just don't do anything that much better than other ARs to warrant that kinda money.

The biggest complaint I've heard about these HK guns is that they're built to slightly different spec than most ARs. So, for example, the uppers may not fit on a standard AR lower. Supposedly, this has something to do with German law, but I haven't read up on the MRs enough to remember the specifics of why or how.

The bigger concern, IMHO, is the price - I've seen $3000-3500 mentioned a lot on other forums. I'm sure the HK ARs will be good, but I'm not sure they'll be $3000 good. I can maybe see the 7.62 variants going for that much, but if the 5.56 version is that much, I can't see them selling too many 'cept to hardcore HK fans. The HK piston guns just don't do anything that much better than other ARs to warrant that kinda money.

Yes, their website does state that the upper is different.

I really like the concept of the gas piston design. As others have stated it's cleaner and cooler. I looked into the MR556 when it was first announced. Being a civilian version of the HK556 it looks to be a really good rifle. I'm a little surprised that they use a two piece upper since the piston design benefits from a one piece set-up. From what I've read the piston design likes the added rigidity of a one piece. And as Caine has said it should retail for between $3000 and $3500. For a bit less I'm looking at a CMMG or maybe a Noveske M4 based rifle.

Here's a little comparison of the HK556 and the Colt AR15

AGwkHktkTxU

HK really has a way of exploiting their fan base. I understand that they've always been more interested in military contracts. But the overpriced wears they've been spoon feeding us is out of control.

How I long of the HK of yesteryear :cry:

HK is a great rifle but I think the Colt one was planed. He put on a different face protection before shooting it. That means they knew before hand. It could be faked.

Planned or just knowledge. Liquids can not be compressed. Liquids will always find the path of least resistance and makes a quick exit. In the case of the AR15, not enough egress for the amount of water so the water makes its own point of exit and the upper goes KB. With the HK, they have well designed exit points learned from AR15. Note that when the HK is fired when submerged the operator manually charges the rifle before firing again. This is because of insufficient pressure to operate the bolt. You could repeatedly fire the HK when submerged. But, you would have to pull the charging handle after every round.

HK is a great rifle but I think the Colt one was planed. He put on a different face protection before shooting it. That means they knew before hand. It could be faked.

How did I miss this, I'm a big HK fan!!! :o I own a couple H&K pistols (USPC 9mm & HK45C) and absolutely love them. H&K is way more expensive then many other brands, but there quality and performance are first rate. I have just begun researching what fighting rifle I will purchase in the near future and was adamant about of a 6.8 or 7.62, just started a post yesterday about this. I will definitely be looking at the 7.62 version of this but I highly doubt that it will actually be out this year, remember the HK45/C. I'm really excited to see this in a civilian version and will be reading up as much as I can about this.

Planned or just knowledge. Liquids can not be compressed. Liquids will always find the path of least resistance and makes a quick exit. In the case of the AR15, not enough egress for the amount of water so the water makes its own point of exit and the upper goes KB. With the HK, they have well designed exit points learned from AR15.

Ok. That's explains why they wanted to compared the two in the water, otherwise there will be no obvious differences.

Thanks for linking to them, Chad :) McClane, if you look at the link Chad posted, and go down to shop services links on their site, you can see most of the options to neuter a rifle to make it NJ legal. It's something like $30 bux to attach a comp/brake, $30 to pin a stock, $15 to delug a bayonet lug, etc.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. You could order it anywhere really.. PA.. online.. but instead of having it shipped to your local FFL, you would have it shipped to ADCO. Once ADCO is done with the work, they would ship it to your local FFL. In some cases, ADCO will have the rifle in stock, and you buy it directly thru them and have them do the mods before sending it to your FFL... this is how I got my AR - bought it directly from ADCO, had them NJify it, and then they sent it to my FFL.