So today i got a chance to fire off a few boxes of .40s&w in a S&W Model 4003 and honestly I much prefer the feel of a .40 over the 9mm and .45acp. Also found out that a lot of cops are trading in these guns for the M&P series so I may keep an eye out for them as an option. My buddy just picked one up for $250 and its pretty damn good.

I only have 2 Smiths in 40 an M&P and a CS40 a compact 7 3.25" barrel 7 shot pistol. I would suggest the M&P from Buds will be sub $500 after transfer because their price includes shipping. I have dealt with Bud's and they are an A1 company.

As others here have said come to a BA shoot and we will bring our selection of 40's for you to try. Plus BA has Glocks available for rent.

The 4003 is a great gun you wont go wrong with one the 3rd generation Smiths are built like tanks. The Smith with the 4 digit model number are generally 3rd generation.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/38995

check out the link it is a killer deal for a new gun. This is the model I have if you want to test drive one.

Yeah those are some pretty good deals. I'm looking forward to meeting you guys and talking face to face for some advice as well as for helping me pick out my first gun. It'll make picking it out a lot easier. I especially look forward to trying out the XD and the M&P since they were my top choices apon inspection at the gun store, though I'll be honest. After firing some poly and alloy frame guns with my friends I'm actually leaning more towards the alloy frames more since they feel better to me when I'm at the range. So there's a good chance I might change my mind and go for something like the S&W 4003.

If that is your route go to Buds and look at their selection of used guns they have some S&W 40's listed.

Yeah i checked Buds, no 4003 models in stock and I tried the resources here which also turned up nothing. There's some 4003's on gunbroker, but they want more then what a brand new M&P costs on Buds. I'll probably end up getting a newer gun since they're easier to find, but there's just something about how an all metal handgun feels in my hand you know? Just gotta keep my eyes open in the mean time.

Ok this is getting frustrating so far. Found the perfect gun, the 1911, but finding it in 9mm or 40cal has proven to be somewhat difficult... So far the consensus of people I've spoken to is "you're better off getting it in 45cal" which is annoying due to the fact 45acp is more expensive then 9mm or 40s&w and the fact I don't like shooting 45acp rounds (have yet to find a gun in 45 that felt right in my hand when shooting it).

As much as I would like the 1911 to be my first gun it looks like it might end up being my 2nd due to the rarity of the 9mm and 40cal variants. I know buds has that Springfield 1911 in 9mm I was looking at, but its not currently in stock and I have no clue if/when it will come in. So it looks like, unless something changes by the time my permits come in, that I'm going to get a XD as my first.

Coming into this post late but I have to agree with Max on many of his points. I bought a .22lr as my first pistol and shot it for almost a year before stepping up. We went to a "fun shoot" on Monday night at SS and were hooked, but we needed a larger gun to shoot.

I applied for my permit (I always get two at a time, and this time it really paid off) and my son and I shot many rentals at SS to see what we want. He decided on a 4" XD-9 and, on a whim and not to get the same gun as he did, bought a S&W M&P.40. I chose .40 because I had bought a Storm CX-4 in .40 a few months before. I loved the gun, my son loved the gun...the problem was I could not shoot it! Sure, it had a big kick, but I don't think that was my problem. It would group for anybody that picked it up, except me? It just did not "fit" me. THIS is why it is important to test fire a gun before buying it! There were no rentals or shooters at SS to try before I bought it and I figured, with all the good reports, it would be fine.

I ended up selling it and buying my XD-9 Tactical (good thing I had a spare permit). It shoots great and I love it. A little trigger work and it is sweet and my son and I do very well with our pair of XDs.

So, test before you buy and get a back up permit for $2.00, "just in case".

I think everyone has pretty much beaten this topic to a pulp. But I'm gonna go with the original question. Kel-Tec or Hi-Point? Well, theres a reason why one costs 200 bucks and the other is twice the price. Quality. Go with quality, not price.

kel tec.

I fondled both, but shot only the kel tec, the fit and finish on the hi point is where the money difference is. you can change the stock on the hi point, but by then, you could of buy a kel tech or close to a beretta storm to begin with.

Ron go by what you like and not what the consensus thinks. If it is comfortable accurate and enjoyable get what you want. After all you are the one shooting the gun. Maks found one in 9MM ask him who his dealer is.

Oh I agree which is why I'm not settling for a .45cal 1911 as I rather go with something I'm more comfortable with like the 9mm or 40cal XD. I've found 9mm and 40cal 1911's, but they're always out of stock or on back order. And the used ones I see are either custom 40cal or in 45cal which I don't like. The custom 40cal 1911's would be acceptable except I look at it like I'm buying a car. I rather customize something stock myself then to deal with fixing problems inherited from the first owner's mistakes when he customized it.

Coming into this post late but I have to agree with Max on many of his points. I bought a .22lr as my first pistol and shot it for almost a year before stepping up. We went to a "fun shoot" on Monday night at SS and were hooked, but we needed a larger gun to shoot.

I applied for my permit (I always get two at a time, and this time it really paid off) and my son and I shot many rentals at SS to see what we want. He decided on a 4" XD-9 and, on a whim and not to get the same gun as he did, bought a S&W M&P.40. I chose .40 because I had bought a Storm CX-4 in .40 a few months before. I loved the gun, my son loved the gun...the problem was I could not shoot it! Sure, it had a big kick, but I don't think that was my problem. It would group for anybody that picked it up, except me? It just did not "fit" me. THIS is why it is important to test fire a gun before buying it! There were no rentals or shooters at SS to try before I bought it and I figured, with all the good reports, it would be fine.

I ended up selling it and buying my XD-9 Tactical (good thing I had a spare permit). It shoots great and I love it. A little trigger work and it is sweet and my son and I do very well with our pair of XDs.

So, test before you buy and get a back up permit for $2.00, "just in case".

Oh I agree on the whole try before you buy idea, its how I landed on wanting a 9mm 1911 as my first gun. Out of all the guns I've shot, this one was me to a T. I've never had a grouping this good before with the guns I've previously fired though the closest I would have to say was the XD. The guys here and my close friends were very helpful in helping me try a diverse selection of handguns.

Well my uncle has been highly suggesting I get a 22 pistol and since I was planning on applying for additional permits anyway I'm considering getting a Sig Mosquito. The debate I'm going through now is do I get the Mosquito first so I can get more range time in, especially when 9mm ammo is hard to come by and 40s&w is a bit more expensive, or do I get the XD first (in either 9mm or 40s&w) so I have my home defense pistol ready. I don't expect to need stopping power right away, but break ins and stuff like that aren't exactly planned for ahead of time with the victim(s) aware of it. I can easily wait a month or so for the extra permits to come in for either so long as I get one when my first permit comes in.

Also my uncle is taking me to the Valley Forge Gunshow coming up in December so that gives me more time to save up for the 1911. I know people are probably tired of seeing me flip flop, but I'm taking in a lot of stuff I never knew before and I'm trying to do things smart (both financially and practically).

If ya read up on the mosquito, its very very finicky on ammo. Alot of problems with the guns. For another $100, you're better off getting a p229 or p226 classic 22, which you can later upgrade the barrel and slide to 357sig or .40 on the p229, or .45acp on the p226 for about $300-$400. Then you can grab a barto 9mm barrel for $200ish, giving you 3 calibers with the same frame on 1 permit. The quality on the p229 or p226 classic 22's are leaps above the mosquito. I think they're retailing for about $525 compared to the $395ish for the mosquito. And you don't have to get the upgrades for them, its just an option available to you. You can always just buy different guns in different calibers.

Well my uncle has been highly suggesting I get a 22 pistol and since I was planning on applying for additional permits anyway I'm considering getting a Sig Mosquito.

Pass on that one. Get a Browning Buckmark or the Ruger MKII or Mark III.

I don't know much about the Mosquito, but my wife has a Walther P22. I think they're close to the same size, weight, etc. As much fun as it is to shoot, it's not a satisfying gun at the range. Accuracy falls way off past 15 yards or so, and it just seems much more toy-like compared to a more target built .22. I had the chance to shoot another member's Single Six, and although I wouldn't necessarily recommend a revolver over a semi, I think a more substantial gun will be more fun to shoot at a variety of range distances, or at steel rather than paper.

As always, YMMV.

K

Well my uncle has been highly suggesting I get a 22 pistol and since I was planning on applying for additional permits anyway I'm considering getting a Sig Mosquito.

Pass on that one. Get a Browning Buckmark or the Ruger MKII or Mark III.

I know the Ruger MkII and MkIII are better guns, I just don't like the overall design. I like the Mosquito because the design is a traditional semi-auto design that a majority of semi-auto handguns follow.

I don't know much about the Mosquito, but my wife has a Walther P22. I think they're close to the same size, weight, etc. As much fun as it is to shoot, it's not a satisfying gun at the range. Accuracy falls way off past 15 yards or so, and it just seems much more toy-like compared to a more target built .22. I had the chance to shoot another member's Single Six, and although I wouldn't necessarily recommend a revolver over a semi, I think a more substantial gun will be more fun to shoot at a variety of range distances, or at steel rather than paper.

As always, YMMV.

K

From what i understand the Mosquito is 10% smaller then the Sig P226 and is larger (and heavier) then the P22 just from looking at the numbers. As far as accuracy is concerned i watched someone plink 5 gallon buckets at 130 yards with his P22 with his buddies on youtube (it was one of the Nutnfancy videos) so while the accuracy drops it doesn't mean you still can't hit the target. :lol:

Also as far as revolvers are concerned i don't like firing them and much prefer the semi-auto design.

I know the Ruger MkII and MkIII are better guns, I just don't like the overall design. I like the Mosquito because the design is a traditional semi-auto design that a majority of semi-auto handguns follow.

See, that's the thing. My step dad was a gun dealer for years. After handling every 1911, 380, .45 and 9mm known to man, I like the fact that the Mark II/III is a little different. I also like that it doesn't care too much about how clean it is. I clean and lube it after every 500-1000 rounds, but I've never _NEEDED_ to because of a problem.

The Mosquito was supposedly updated to fix some of the FTF, FTE, and misfire issues so you probably won't have any issues as long as you keep it cleaned and lubed. Find the ammo it likes and stick to it.

See, that's the thing. My step dad was a gun dealer for years. After handling every 1911, 380, .45 and 9mm known to man, I like the fact that the Mark II/III is a little different. I also like that it doesn't care too much about how clean it is. I clean and lube it after every 500-1000 rounds, but I've never _NEEDED_ to because of a problem.

The Mosquito was supposedly updated to fix some of the FTF, FTE, and misfire issues so you probably won't have any issues as long as you keep it cleaned and lubed. Find the ammo it likes and stick to it.

From what I've seen the problems were fixed with some minor servicing on earlier models, but the biggest problem was people using cheap low grade ammo before it was properly broken in. You need to use CCI Mini-Mags with it for at least the break in process, but many owners end up sticking with the mini-mags.

As for style its all personal preference. Honestly... I'm not a fan of revolvers, but if I could find one cheap I would get the Taurus Raging Hornet. :lol:

they always one way or another get back to basics.

was just reading the first page, and I could of sworn we suggested starting out with a 22lr so that you can practice.

Out of all the handguns I have, the 22lr would be the last to go because it is my fav, and very very reasonably priced.

For a 22lr, I would suggest getting a standalone 22lr, instead of barrel change.

Here are your choices since you said you want semi auto.

1. ruger mk2/3

2. browning buckmark

3. Smith Wesson 22a

4. Smith Wesson Model 41

5. Beretta Neos

6. Walther P22

7. Sig Mosquitto.

Here is why I chose a Smith 22a for myself.

I dont like the rugers because they are tougher to clean. I clean after every outing, so this would take tooo much.

Buckmarks are nice, very nice guns, and have one for sale if you want. deadly accurate. it was down to smith/browning.

Neos - too new, and tooo skinny of a grip. Also, the color I wanted was tough to find.

Walther P22. Nice size, but is not really accurate. It is more of a fun toy rather than a handgun to reallllly learn on.

Sig - still too finicky for my taste, and quite honestly, a little expensive for a 22lr.

I didnt choose the smith 41 as it is a competition gun, and at 1k... didnt really need it.

the smith 22a is a great firearm. very easy to clean, dont need any tools, after first 500 rounds, very very accurate, and no more issues.nicer grip. Having a rail built in on top was a +. Price sealed the deal.